One for the West

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

One for the West

#1 Post by bigbob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Just finished this HH style longbow heading to W.A.. It came in exactly on the money at 44# at 28'' and 68'' NTN., 'boo core and 'Stinking wattle' lams[ smells like horse urine when its cut.] Looks ok under glass though. the riser is Tas. blackwood and accent section is spalted PNG Walnut.
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (82.54 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (89.51 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (89.95 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (92.57 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Bald Eagle

Re: One for the West

#2 Post by Bald Eagle » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Very nice Bob, as usual.
Ian

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:58 pm

bigbob wrote:.. It came in exactly on the money at 44# at 28'' and 68'' NTN.....
It's good when they come out on the weight. The last box of bamboo I recieved was yielding bows up to 8# underweight.
bigbob wrote:...and 'Stinking wattle' lams[ smells like horse urine when its cut......
Fortunately the wattle I have been using is virtually odourless. Any idea of the one you are using so I can avoid it?

Well done on the bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks Ian and Daryl. Regarding the wattle, Daryl it was just another case of everyone's interpretation of 'black wattle'. This stuff came from a guy who has his own Lucas mill and has lived in this area for all his life.He felled it for me and I cut it into sections One look at the log told me it was indeed different to my version of black wattle, slightly different bark, and the timber is definitely not as 'featured' as the one I am aware of. I have a pile about a metre high x metre wide of half sawn logs about 1.5m long so I have to use it! apart from not being as 'colourful as the other it really does have an unpleasant odour when cut. This luckily disappears after a while.Another thing I have found is something we talked about somewhere once. I made one bow with all caramelised 'boo core and it was 42# the owner has a 27''draw.I made another for myself with three lams which went 44# and it had 3 lams of caramelised and one of natural 'boo. these were not incidentally made to same 'recipe' re weight. With both of us standing side by side his lighter bow and shorter draw length would put an arrow noticeably further and seemingly faster . This re enforces my opinion,and which we did discuss at that time, that the caramelized 'boo probably due in part to the heat treatment used in manufacture is superior in performance.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Another nice one Bob.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:22 pm