Recommendations and dimensions

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

magtrev

Recommendations and dimensions

#1 Post by magtrev » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:40 am

Hi guys,

I've been on the board for a while but so far not had enough information to contribute anywhere and always found what i needed or was interested in just reviewing the posts. finally though i have decided i needed to get on here and ask some questions.

Basically, i have decided to try my hand at making a bow for myself and would love some input from the gurus.

I'm not new to woodwork (having made some furniture and other pieces) but this is obviously quite different and all new to me. I have an oak board (approx 100x20 and 1.8m long) with a pretty straight grain and i have bought some bamboo pole at 100mm diameter and about the same length.

My plan is to try to recreate some of the fantastic looking bamboo backed bows i've seen on here (Sorry Daryl, i basically want to rip off your designs. i hope you don't mind)
My problem is i'm not entirely sure what sort of design to go for and therefore what dimensions to use and would appreciate your opinions and help on how you go about laying out your dimensions.

My initial thoughts are a length of about 66inch (can't go much longer anyway) and i'm aiming for a 50-55 draw weight at 28".
with the board and the bamboo i could even do a couple of different designs (the second one will probably go to my father in law who also shoots trad).

I will of course provide progress shots :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Chris
I've never used training wheels and i'm not sure how they work. I love the stick and string, I just wish I was better at it!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Recommendations and dimensions

#2 Post by greybeard » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:02 am

magtrev wrote:...My plan is to try to recreate some of the fantastic looking bamboo backed bows i've seen on here (Sorry Daryl, i basically want to rip off your designs. i hope you don't mind)
Hi Chris, rip away as much as you like, the whole idea of posting my creations was to encourage others to have a go.

Basically I design the bow to suit the materials I have at hand.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

magtrev

#3 Post by magtrev » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks Daryl. hopefully i can do it some justice. i'm keeping my expectations reasonable as it's my first attempt but i'm looking forward to getting into it.
I've never used training wheels and i'm not sure how they work. I love the stick and string, I just wish I was better at it!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:39 pm

magtrev wrote:....... I have an oak board (approx 100x20 and 1.8m long) with a pretty straight grain and i have bought some bamboo pole at 100mm diameter and about the same length......
Hi Chris, the terminology "oak" can cover a multitude of sins, can you be more specific and perhaps post some photos of the board and include a photo of the end grain.

There over 1000 types of bamboo, do you know which one you have? If unsure post a photo of it.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

magtrev

#5 Post by magtrev » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Daryl,

The bamboo i had bought from bunnings and had left over from a garden project. The oak, i have no idea what type or where it came from. it was given to me by a friend who had some left over (i suspect bought from bunnings though so it's probably tasmanian oak)

I will try and take some photos on the weekend and upload as i'll be away on work until then :x

Cheers

Hamish

#6 Post by Hamish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi Chris, If your oak is Tassie Oak, Vic ash etc I wouldn't use it as a belly wood, cause it will just chrysal.
It will make decent arrow shafts though.
Hamish.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:25 pm

Tasmanian Oak is not an actual species;
rather it is the trade name for the mixture of 2 or more species from a group of 8, all with similar appearance and feature.

Avoid it like the plague.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

magtrev

#8 Post by magtrev » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:48 pm

Damn is all i can say to that. I was looking forward to getting cracking when i got home. Now I'm gunna have to source some different wood instead :cry:
thanks for the advice though guys. It would have been even worse to find out the wood wasnt going to work afterward and wondering if i screwed it up :biggrin:

so i need even more help now. What would you recommend and Where on earth do you guys source your wood from? In the past ive searched for lumber yards near me and failed miserably. There must be something north of brisbane?
im gutted knowing instead of being able to start something on the weekend I'll have to spend what little time i get finding a good piece of wood.
at least I'll be looking forward to next week though :biggrin:

Thanks again

Chris

hunterguy1991

#9 Post by hunterguy1991 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:31 am

Hi Chris,

Some cheap timber options... Spotted gum decking from masters (about 10 bucks for 2m length) or Red oak dressed boards from masters ( around 13 bucks for a 1.8m length). Bamboo baking either of these will make a really nice shooting bow.

If your wanting to replicate Daryl's static tip recurves I'd go the red oak as it steam bends really easily and well. I plan on trying one in the near future when I get my hands on some bamboo for the backing and a heap of clamps. They are beautiful bows!

Hope that helps you a bit mate and look forward to your progress.

Colin

magtrev

#10 Post by magtrev » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:34 am

Thats great thanks Colin.
i know where I'm going as soon as i get home on friday :biggrin:

Hamish

#11 Post by Hamish » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:59 am

Look for really straight grain on face and edges of boards.

magtrev

#12 Post by magtrev » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks Hamish,

i looked at the piece of tassie oak and thought "wow, i've lucked out" because the piece given to me had a really straight grain and no nots or imperfections on there.
just a shame the woods isn't the right type.

I'm all prepared to start pulling every board of the rack until i find the one i want :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by greybeard » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:00 am

Hi Chris,

May I suggest that you use the Tassie oak un backed as a test piece to lay out a bow design and have a go at tillering?

If the timber develops chrysils or breaks it doesn’t really matter as you will get the experience first hand.

The timber merchants shown below have a fairly good range of local and imported timbers.

Britton Timbers
29 Sodium St
Narangba QLD 4504
(07) 3888 3351

http://www.brittontimbers.com.au/timbers

You could check out the following; American Ash, American Cherry, European Maple, Blackbutt, Tallowwood, Rose Gum and others. Click on the (+) for timber properties.

Lazarides Timber

Have an extensive range of local and imported timbers, some prices may a little above market prices but one must take into account the quality of the timber.

http://www.lazaridestimber.com.au/

15 Hurricane Street,
Banyo QLD 4014
(07) 3267 3899

The bamboo and Brigalow flat bow is an excellent starting point when learning to make bamboo backed bows. You could shape a deeper handle if desired and work the fade outs to suit.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13037

Beware of the big hardware stores as they generally employ floor walkers who know very little about the products.

By all means be price conscious but be prepared to pay a bit extra for quality.

Finally, buying a wider/deeper board may yield extra bows.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

magtrev

#14 Post by magtrev » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks everyone for all the info, and thats the bow of your i was eyeing up for trying to replicate.

i will have to check all those places out and see what i can do. :wink: