what thread is best used to make a string for a recurve bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

aaronjezarchery

what thread is best used to make a string for a recurve bow

#1 Post by aaronjezarchery » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:54 pm

hi..what thread is best used to make a string for a recurve bow,
i tried regular upholstery thread 100% POLYESTER it works but it stretches by far.
also can i use a belt sander to taper a bow, because some people say electric tool weaken the wood.

cheers
Aaron.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: what thread is best used to make a string for a recurve

#2 Post by greybeard » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:48 am

aaronjezarchery wrote:hi..what thread is best used to make a string for a recurve bow....
Get in touch with an archery supplier and order bow string material.
aaronjezarchery wrote:also can i use a belt sander to taper a bow, because some people say electric tool weaken the wood.
I use belt sanders on selfbows and laminated glass bows without any problems.

Don't use excessive pressure as this can generate high temperatures in the work piece.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Dennis La Varenne

#3 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:25 pm

Aaron,
Since it was first available about 20 years ago, I have used Fast-fligh string for all bows of any kind - recurved or straight, glassed and all-wood. I use it almost exclusively on all my selfbows. There has never been a problem of any kind. Occasionally, I have made forays into using linen for all-wood bows, but it seems not to be much better than Dacron for performance although it does not stretch as Dacron does.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

aaronjezarchery

#4 Post by aaronjezarchery » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:38 pm

thanks guys, also why do you think that my wattle long bow broke about 4" away from the handle, the crack wasn't along the bow but straight through, just like pencils break.
the wood was dried 2 months
it broke when i was putting the string on by my self for the fist time since i made it, the way i was putting it on was with my feet against each other.

already broke three bows that way don't know if its because of too much tensions on one limb or wrong type of wood, the grains did go straight without any knots,
one of the bows was recurved bow and the others were flat and this last one was long bow.
please help because I'm loosing my motivation one making any more.

Aaron. :?:

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Aaron,

I have never used wattle before, but the question is, 'which wattle' because there are hundreds of varieties. The one most commonly attempted on Ozbow seems to be the ordinary Black Wattle (Acacia mearnsii) which tends to be quite brittle from most reports. Daryl would know more about it than I would.

If you have got to the bracing stage, then don't lose heart because you are almost there and need to choose a more suitable wood. If you are in Queensland, then have a go at ordinary Spotted Gum (Eucalyptus maculata) for starters and also Red Ash (Alphitonia excelsa). Both of those have proven to be reasonable - good bow woods and I have used both, especially the Red Ash with great success. With the Red Ash, try to obtain some long limbs or small diameter trunks on the ocean side of the mountains up the gully sides from water-courses (riparian zones) where there is some clearing going on.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.