A new convert

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

A new convert

#1 Post by rodlonq » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:16 am

Last month I posted a short hunting story when Brenton and I went bush on the way home from the Tully Trad shoot. It was decided that Brenton should be weaned off his training wheels and having a go at trad hunting. We planned out a 64" hunting bow of deflex/reflex shape and set about finding materials. I had some Zebrano cabinetmaking veneer I was looking to try out and we decided on a piece of Queensland Maple for the riser. It really felt too light to start with but that didn't turn out to be an issue. The core laminations are vertical bamboo flooring. A couple of days in the shed showing Brenton the ropes and he was away. Brenton is not new to woodwork and was keen as mustard, so I had a cooling ale (watching like an old mother hen :smile: ) while he shaped his bow and sanded it ready for finishing. We made two FF+ strings for it, Brenton built his first one himself while watching me make the other. Impatience got the better of us and we put a few through it before the final sand and clear went on. It weighed in at 54#@28" which was right on the money for a change. The bow is 64" NTN and weighs about 1 lb 4 oz with a string on it.
1 BrentonFullDraw.JPG
1 BrentonFullDraw.JPG (105.77 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
8 coats of Minwax wipe-on-poly later it was ready for a kangaroo hide strike plate and some more photos.
2 HoneyUnstrung.png
2 HoneyUnstrung.png (137.88 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
3 HoneyStrung.png
3 HoneyStrung.png (163.58 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
3.5 HoneyRiserCloseup.JPG
3.5 HoneyRiserCloseup.JPG (101.08 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
4 HoneyDownTheMiddle.JPG
4 HoneyDownTheMiddle.JPG (43.58 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
I knocked up a basic string keeper that takes about 10 minutes to make and costs nearly nothing (if you can pinch a hair band from a lady friend :biggrin: )
5 BrentonsStringKeeper.JPG
5 BrentonsStringKeeper.JPG (121.51 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
We set about making a set of woods with Brenton's favourite orange dominating the colour scheme. Here he is drying out, while I have an ale and keep an eye on progress. The Scott's pine shafts finished up around 585 grn total with 125 grn points and 27" to the back of the aluminium screw adaptors.
6 MakingArrows.JPG
6 MakingArrows.JPG (87.59 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
7 BrentonsArrows.JPG
7 BrentonsArrows.JPG (122.46 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
The end result has stood up well to the first couple of hundred shots, so we think they are almost ready to swap out the field points for broadheads and go hunting.

Hope it been worth the reading. Cheers... Rod
Last edited by rodlonq on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roadie

Re: A new convert

#2 Post by Roadie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:42 am

Great to see, well done. Cheers Roadie.

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:03 am

Good looking bow ,that Q maple looks good,do you call him grasshopper now :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:22 am

Rod, that is an excellent result.

The Queensland Maple has some attractive grain variation.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

The Ranger

#5 Post by The Ranger » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:14 am

Rod, that's a beautiful looking bow. Well done with getting your mate to have a go with the longbow. Maybe he'll stay with the trad now.

Ranger
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:46 am

Endorse previous comments especially re the Qld Maple. all round great job!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#7 Post by rodlonq » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks fellas, your comments are appreciated.

Cheers... Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Good onya Rod and great work Brenton!!! I look forward to seeing photos of the first game taken with the new equipment. :biggrin:

Jeff

UPTHETOP

#9 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Rod is always a great feeling helping someone find there way into the Trad journey, lets hope he stays with it and will be forever in your dept, congratulations to you and Brenton.

Cheers Wayno
Last edited by UPTHETOP on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Jim

#10 Post by Jim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:02 am

great stuff Rod.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

rodlonq

#11 Post by rodlonq » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Thank you for your kind words fellas. It is enjoyable to watch people having a go at making trad gear, I know I have enjoyed a lot of helpful advise from many of you (even if it was indirectly through reading your posts). It is this aspect of traditional archery that I enjoy the most, being handed, and handing on, "the tradition".

Cheers... Rod