Restoring a recurve

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrkos

Restoring a recurve

#1 Post by Mrkos » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Hey guys great forum fairly new been shooting longbows and making my own arrows for a year or so my question is I am setting up an old 50 pound recurve for my brother along with some arrows the bow is fairly shabby and used I was thinking of giving it a bit of a sand with fine grade sand paper what is a good easily obtainable product I can repaint the bow with any ideas?

Nezwin

Re: Restoring a recurve

#2 Post by Nezwin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Far be it my place to offer any advice on the issue, but I don't think this is the forum for talking about Compound Bows... There's a section somewhere that defines this as a forum for "Traditional Archery", ie, pre-Compound Bow era.

However, my two cents on the finishing side of things, I'd go at it with sandpaper up to wet & dry, then seal with standard spray sealant, giving it plenty of time to set before handling properly. If you can, get a two pack sealant, as this will 'set' like an epoxy, as opposed to 'drying' like a glue or paint.

Mrkos

#3 Post by Mrkos » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Nezwin wrote:Far be it my place to offer any advice on the issue, but I don't think this is the forum for talking about Compound Bows... There's a section somewhere that defines this as a forum for "Traditional Archery", ie, pre-Compound Bow era.

However, my two cents on the finishing side of things, I'd go at it with sandpaper up to wet & dry, then seal with standard spray sealant, giving it plenty of time to set before handling properly. If you can, get a two pack sealant, as this will 'set' like an epoxy, as opposed to 'drying' like a glue or paint.
Can you actually read where in my post is there mention of a compound bow I did use the terms longbow and recurve however thanks for your two cents I will look into the two pack sealant

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Mrkos wrote:Can you actually read where in my post is there mention of a compound bow…..
Well mate the name of your thread was:
Restoring a compound
I will change it to recurve for you. :biggrin:

I think some of the fellas have been using a wipe on finish called Minwax from Bunnings.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:28 pm

There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.