How do you like this one?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

KellyG

How do you like this one?

#1 Post by KellyG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:36 am

Ok here is a bow I just finished up for the 2014 tradgang bow swap. It is an Osage American long bow 66" ttt. With black rat snake skins antler tips and pulls 53#@27".

Unbraced

Braced

Tips

lower

upper

Ok handle I really like the wood. I have put CA glue in all the cracks. Just a floppy rest. I thought about a bit of antler but the antler tips were a bit of a pain and there is more wave in the handle so I went for something I knew would work.

left

Image[/URL]

right
that spot is Osage sawdust and wood glue to fill in a knot where I dug out limb. The grain in this hedge is awesome.

Limb

upper

lower

the skin is one whole snake but there is such a difference from one end to the other it looks like 2 snakes.

Full draw

I put bunny fur on for silencers and now the arrow flying is quieter then the bow shooting.
Hope ya like it.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: How do you like this one?

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:35 am

The bow has turned out well although it is a shame about the knotty section in the handle, but if sound adds character to the bow.

The limbs appear to be bending evenly when at full draw. Osage is a versatile bow wood.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:02 am

The bow has heaps of character. I think you've done a good job of working around the problem area in the handle. Well done!
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:54 am

Love the character mate - beautiful!!!

Jeff

KellyG

#5 Post by KellyG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Grey Beard I have put at least a hundred arrows through it and no sign of an issue. The knot make a nice place to put your thumb if you are right handed. I put the filler in because of sharp edges and hole I knew if I tried to get it out I would run a risk of have in a two piece the easy way.

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:05 pm

looks good Kelly, nice work!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Top Job :wink: