Fletching Tape

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Fletching Tape

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi all,
Does anyone use fletching tape on Aluminum shafts and if so does it work well and is there any special preparation to do on the shaft before sticking a feather down with it?
Is there any differences in the brands that are available?
Cheers
Ian

mikaluger

Re: Fletching Tape

#2 Post by mikaluger » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi Ian,
I use Bohning fletching tape on all my arrows. It sticks fine, just make sure you clean the shaft well, before you Stick on the feathers. It sticks on wraps, aluminium, wood, carbon and painted surfaces. For a little bit of extra insurance and because I shoot of my knuckle a lot, I wrap the first 1/4" of the fletching with artificial sinew or thread.
This does two things, it holds down the fletching were it can grab an edge and also makes a smooth transition from shaft to fletching therefore not cutting my skin, which wont happen anyway as long as I have my knocking point correct! :confused: It is much faster than gluing, I can fully fletch a dozen arrows in an hour.
Having done this, my fletches usually last longer than my arrows! :surprised: :biggrin:
Just doing some at the moment, will post some pics tomorrow....

Mick.

Ian Turner

Re: Fletching Tape

#3 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks mate sounds good.
Cheers