Received a package today..........

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

mikaluger

Received a package today..........

#1 Post by mikaluger » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Hmmm what to build ................ :biggrin:
Attachments
WP_20140912_17_26_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20140912_17_26_07_Pro.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
WP_20140912_17_22_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20140912_17_22_20_Pro.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 4160 times

littlejohn59

Re: Received a package today..........

#2 Post by littlejohn59 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:18 pm

So whats in it for me Mick. I want something extraordinary....like fairy dust..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hamish

#3 Post by Hamish » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Gee man, you don't have to rub my face in it :shock: :shock:
Cool, they look pretty primo quality. You will be busy for a while.
Hamish.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Nice looking staves.

Jeff

mikaluger

#5 Post by mikaluger » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 pm

littlejohn59 wrote:So whats in it for me Mick. I want something extraordinary....like fairy dust..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
oh great........ put the pressure on!

billets on left..... i'm going for a quality ELB.
centre billets are for belly laminations, although the big one I can rip in two and make another ELB...........not sure there......
Osage i'm not sure on.........spliced selfie or machine some belly strips and back with bamboo. Flatbow either way.
No rush. :smile:

cmoore

#6 Post by cmoore » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:09 am

Sup mick?
Sorry I couldn't get to lilydale I didn't have a working car (voltage regulator on the alternator packed up). Those are some ace looking staves but you've opened a can of worms. Is a spliced billet still considered a selfie? :confused: ...
Set Happens

Trad Bound

#7 Post by Trad Bound » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:08 am

So Mick
Been to bed or stay up all night playing in the shed. Or did you sleep with them :surprised:

mikaluger

#8 Post by mikaluger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:55 am

cmoore wrote:Sup mick?
Sorry I couldn't get to lilydale I didn't have a working car (voltage regulator on the alternator packed up). Those are some ace looking staves but you've opened a can of worms. Is a spliced billet still considered a selfie? :confused: ...
Hi Cam,
In my book if it is not backed, it's a selfie because it is "self backed".IMO
The reason it is spliced is because I can't afford a full length stave (above 64")......... well the shipping charges anyway!!!! :biggrin:
It may or mat not open a can of worms, I care not either way........
When are you coming up?
Mick.

mikaluger

#9 Post by mikaluger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:56 am

Trad Bound wrote:So Mick
Been to bed or stay up all night playing in the shed. Or did you sleep with them :surprised:
No they were in the garage Tony, but I was thinking about them........ :wink:

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:46 am

Nice! You might even decide rather than splicing them together, you could go for the two piece option by using Bingham sleeves. It's an option that I've often considered.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you finally do with them.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:26 pm

cmoore wrote:Is a spliced billet still considered a selfie? ...
SELFBOW: A bow made entirely from one homogenous material, usually of wood. This bow can be made from a single stave or a joined pair of billets.

Jeff

rodlonq

#12 Post by rodlonq » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
SELFBOW: A bow made entirely from one homogenous material, usually of wood. This bow can be made from a single stave or a joined pair of billets.

Jeff
Hello Jeff,

Would a billet bow still be a selfbow if it had a short riser overlay (i.e. inside the fade-outs), just to reinforce the splice? I note tip overlays are acceptable.....

Cheers.... Rod

Oh yeah.... nice billets Mick, are the brown ones Pacific Yew? Looks like you are going to have some fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mikaluger

#13 Post by mikaluger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:20 pm

rodlonq wrote:
Stickbow Hunter wrote:

Jeff
Hello Jeff,

Would a billet bow still be a selfbow if it had a short riser overlay (i.e. inside the fade-outs), just to reinforce the splice? I note tip overlays are acceptable.....

Cheers.... Rod

Oh yeah.... nice billets Mick, are the brown ones Pacific Yew? Looks like you are going to have some fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yes mate, they are Pacific yew.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:00 pm

rodlonq wrote:Would a billet bow still be a selfbow if it had a short riser overlay (i.e. inside the fade-outs), just to reinforce the splice?
If it was of the same wood I believe it would be.

Jeff

rodlonq

#15 Post by rodlonq » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
rodlonq wrote:Would a billet bow still be a selfbow if it had a short riser overlay (i.e. inside the fade-outs), just to reinforce the splice?
If it was of the same wood I believe it would be.

Jeff
I was thinking of something decorative, more along the lines of buff horn or antler. However the same wood would do the job nicely.

Cheers... Rod

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by greybeard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 am

Horace Ford.

Archery, its theory and practice; 2nd Edition 1859

"The self-bow may be made of one single piece, or of two pieces dovetailed together in the handle. If of one piece, the quality of the wood will not be quite the same at both ends, the lower part being slightly denser than the upper; whilst the grafted bow may be made of the same piece, cut or split apart, and so of exactly the same nature. The difference, however, is so slight as to be immaterial. Care must be taken, in choosing a grafted bow, to see that it be put firmly together in the middle."

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Dennis La Varenne

#17 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Rod,

The archery term 'self' comes from the expression "of itself', meaning that the bow is made from wood from the same stave the bow came from.

As a definition, there will always be archery lawyers who can take any definition to its ridiculous extreme - not you of course, but you know what I mean I think.

All definitions eventually run up against their own brick walls. It would be a pretty hard-pressed argument to convince one that the mere building up of a handle riser using left-over wood from the same stave was not a self-bow.

However, it could also be argued that a bow made from laminations from the same stave was a self-bow - technically - the only difference being that the latter has more glue lines, but that would be really stretching the definition. Common usage would put such a bow into the category of a composite bow, but so could it also include the above self bow with the built-up handle riser - technically.

In the end, the extremities of each argument degenerate into a complex of sillinesses.

Mick,
Some really nice looking staves there. I am looking forward to a miracle of transformation or two from them.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.