Converting longbow into 2 piece takedown?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Converting longbow into 2 piece takedown?

#1 Post by Jim » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:21 am

Hey guys,

I have a one piece long bow that I'm rather happy with, I just wish it was a 2 piece. Are there any viable options for conversion or should I just start saving for a factory takedown?

I thought the socket/tenon method used by Jim at Big Jim's Bow Company looked simple enough, but he does his 'take down' cut and shaping before the final riser/handle shaping. There is one step in his process where you need a level plane from one end of the riser to the other when you make the cut, so that seems to rule out my finished bow for his method.

Any ideas? I suppose another consideration is that if the process is going to cost more than a couple hundred dollars, I may as well sell this bow and buy a new take down.

Cheers,

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

rodlonq

Re: Converting longbow into 2 piece takedown?

#2 Post by rodlonq » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 am

Gday Jim,

I bought all the gear from Big Jim to make the fibreglass/carbon sockets a while ago. Haven't tried it yet but if you want to have a chat about it, I have some ideas for making a jig to hold bows steady for cutting and applying the socket.

Cheers... Rod

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Jim,

I have been using the sleeves from Bingham Projects quite successfully. At times getting a neat fit between the inner brass and outer steel sleeve can be a pain in the backside.

A parallel handle would be easier to adapt than a shaped one.
Bingham's Takedown Sleeve.jpg
Bingham's Takedown Sleeve.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 962 times
The bow at the bottom of the photo is a Bingham sleeve.
Handles_Flatbow_Longbow_Carriage Bow.jpg
Handles_Flatbow_Longbow_Carriage Bow.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Jim

#4 Post by Jim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Cheers for the replies fellas. Daryl the bow has a pretty heavily dished grip as well as being shaped on the sides. I'm not sure if the Bingham would work? It looks like it needs a classic straight handle, is that correct?

Rod, we should have a chat about your ideas for a jig. I have a week or two leave at the end of september... might be a good time for me to have a go at it.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby