Youth Bow - critique on my design choices?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Ganthor

Youth Bow - critique on my design choices?

#1 Post by Ganthor » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi all,
I'm attempting bow number 3 and decided to follow the mass principal. I'm making it for a young niece and so expecting her to grow into it. I would like some comments on my plans as I'd like it to be successful and safe.

She is not in Australia so it will need to be a 2 piece take down for postage. I have a board of red oak with what I think is strait grain, I will back it with linen in any case.

I've also got her to send her wingspan measurements. 60.63" so that works out to a ~24" draw length. (60.63/2.5=24.24)

She is 11 years old at the moment

I decided a 66" flat bow and targeting about 20# at 24". I'm guessing that she will get to a 27" draw when she grows. This should put the final weight at 29# at 27" draw (if the bow survives that long :smile: ).
I'm using the following for measurements:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/inde ... #msg549370

I decided to use the mass principal to get the bow mass for safety.

I found it interesting if I put 20# @ 24" I get a mass of 10 oz. However I intend to tiller it out to ~29# at 27" and this brings the mass up to 11.8 oz. I'm going to assume then that I should shoot for 11.8 oz for safety for her to grow into.

Is there anything else I should be considering? - Have I got anything wrong?