Glue for bio-laminate ELB

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeLethbridge

Glue for bio-laminate ELB

#1 Post by JoeLethbridge » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a vague plan to make a bio-laminate english longbow. From past experience I don't think araldite is has anywhere near the strength necessary for the job. The traditional bowyer's bibles talk highly of Urac185, Resorcinol, and Titebond 1,2 and 3. Apparently Urac requires heat to set it, so that's out of question for me. I can't find much Resorcinol, so Titebond is looking pretty good. The question is, which is better; 1,2 or 3? One of the woods will probably be acacia, and will be glue into a mild reflex.

This isn't urgent, so don't sweat.
Cheers, Joe.

mikaluger

Re: Glue for bio-laminate ELB

#2 Post by mikaluger » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Titebond 3 will work fine for a bi-laminate. Techni glue for a tri- Laminates and Risers.

woodie

#3 Post by woodie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 pm

You can get Techni glue on ebay for around $45. If that helps.
I have used titebond on a few bi lam and a tri lam bow, it holds ok on the light weight bows that I have made, they have been between 25 and 40#.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Hamish

#4 Post by Hamish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:05 pm

Urac and resorcinol are hard to get in small quantities, have a short shelf life. Excellent glues though and they don't need to be heat set(but can be of course).

Titebond 3 is available and cheaper. Long shelf life, excellent for laminating,
Techniglue pretty darn good for most bow making applications, long shelf life, long working time.