Anyone tried Ash in a bow?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Anyone tried Ash in a bow?

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Gday all,

Have been doing a decent bit of research on experimental timbers for ELB's lately and came across various ash species, Silver ash or Bumpy ash in particular.. The research I have done suggests that it should work well as it is said to be "Flexible and Tough"... good combination for a bow I reckon.

MoR is 122MPa and MoE is 17GPa according to the timber comparative chart I got off here a while back so fairly similar to hickory... Another good sign.

A mate of mine as a White Ash ELB which is cut from a tree and unbacked and is pulling 60#@28", maybe the timbers are similar.

Thoughts or experiences anyone??

Colin

GrahameA

Re: Anyone tried Ash in a bow?

#2 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:42 am

Morning.
hunterguy1991 wrote:Have been doing a decent bit of research on experimental timbers for ELB's lately and came across various ash species, Silver ash or Bumpy ash in particular...
When you say Silver Ash, etc. do you mean the Fraxinus family or do you mean Eucalypts, etc masquerading as Ash? The next bow built from the Fraxinus family will not be the first. They have been a suitable timber for bows for a few thousand years.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:32 pm

GrahameA,

I mean Australian Silver Ash so Flindersia Bourjotiana or Flindersia Schottiana (depending which state its in). You will not find an American Ash species referred to as bumpy ash anywhere...

I had tried to get American White Ash but the yard I'm in contact with is out of stock at the moment and wont have any in for a while unfortunately.

Colin

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:45 pm

I have a 60#@28" Victorian Ash ELB made by Cliff Turpin. I'd like to make one myself one day if I can get hold of some good boards (and a flat bow as well).

http://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Wood-Sp ... torian-Ash

Cheers... Rod