Second static recurve

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

Second static recurve

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 am

Hey all,

Have steamed up another red oak static recurve and backed it with linen. The bow is 62"ntn and aiming for 45lbs @ 28 inches. The tips were bent around an 8 inch radius for the first 9 inches of limb and are only asymmetric by about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, so they came out pretty even.

The limbs are 40mm wide at the fade and are parallel to within 9 inches of the tip where they taper in to 16mm at the nocks. The thickness goes from 10mm at the end of the fades to 8mm at the width taper and stays at 8mm the rest of the way.
Steamed oak.jpg
Steamed oak.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

Now at the tillering stage but I've hit a snag... both limbs have a bit of twist but are in opposite directions...

Here is the bow on the tillering stick with the long string on. Its pulling about 20lbs at 22 inches with maybe and inch further in the tips to go back to reach brace height.
Static recurve.jpg
Static recurve.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
Hard to see from the photo but the right limb is twisting away from the wall and left limb is twisting towards the wall...

My Question is which side of the limb do I remove a bit from to even them out? since the left limb is twisting towards the wall I would assume that the wall side of the limb is weaker therefore scrap the opposite side? Is that correct?

Wont progress until I get some advice as I don't want to bugger this one up!!

Cheers,

Colin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Second static recurve

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:05 pm

hunterguy1991 wrote:My Question is which side of the limb do I remove a bit from to even them out?
The strong side. I would carefully check the thickness as well as the width to see where to remove any wood.

Jeff

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:09 pm

So the strong side would be the one bending less.

Plan was to take it off the belly tiny bit at a time. Widths should be almost identical... I'll get the callipers out and check each side of the limb for uneven thickness...

Cheers Jeff!! :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:18 pm

hunterguy1991 wrote:So the strong side would be the one bending less.
Yes, that is correct.

Jeff

hunterguy1991

#5 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Well... didn't make weight... again... bugger!!

Still, got nearly all the twist out and it shoots so its a success. Finished up pulling a hair under 30lbs @ 28" so I've doubled draw weight from the first one. Only 15lbs to go to be where I want it.

I will get some brace and full draw pics a bit later on. Tiller isn't perfect but will do since it didn't make weight anyway.

One thing I did notice was the tips lost more curve in this one compared to the first... Think I will need to stiffen them up a bit on the next try.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Well mate you are learning on each one at least. Hopefully the next one will make the draw weight you want.

Jeff

hunterguy1991

#7 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 am

Heres a shot of the bow at brace.
braced bow.jpg
braced bow.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
And one of little brother at full draw.
full draw shot.jpg
full draw shot.jpg (5.92 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
Will have to get a bigger one of full draw, that's tiny!!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:49 am

hunterguy1991 wrote:and backed it with linen. The bow is 62"ntn and aiming for 45lbs @ 28 inches.
hunterguy1991 wrote:Well... didn't make weight... again... bugger!!

Finished up pulling a hair under 30lbs @ 28" so I've doubled draw weight from the first one. Only 15lbs to go to be where I want it.
If the bow had been backed with pole bamboo instead of linen you probably would have easily obtained 45# perhaps even more.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

#9 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Daryl,

I was working on this template to iron out the kinks in the design. Eventually I do plan to either pole bamboo or hickory back this style bow. I lack the tools to properly and accurately shape the bamboo at the moment, but I'm working on acquiring them asap.

The second bow I made should be a perfect fit for the weight I want using those dimensions and a better backing material.

Colin