I need a fletching jig.....

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

indie

I need a fletching jig.....

#1 Post by indie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi guys. I'm gearing up to make some arrows, the cheap bamboo kind first up, and need a fletching jig. I know very little about them so would appreciate advice on which model to get. I don't need top of the range, just one that works. If anyone has one laying about they would like to get rid of that would work for me also.

Thanks, Indie.

indie

Re: I need a fletching jig.....

#2 Post by indie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:42 pm

I've done a quick search on here and seen the "dot" method of setting out fletches and may give that a go. Can someone tell me when you buy feathers are they sorted as left or right hand? Or do you need to work that out for each lot?

woodie

#3 Post by woodie » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Contact John McDonald from AMSO128
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:02 am

Morning.
woodie wrote:Contact John McDonald from AMSO128
I second that.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

morganp

#5 Post by morganp » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:47 am

I have a fletching jig made of cardboard, used it and copies for many sets. Look here for a better one: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/inde ... 583.0.html
Made dozens like this. Feathers come as what you want, sorted left or right unless you get them off a bird yourself in which case you have to look and turn them about and think a bit. If you want more detail or a 'buildalong', ask again and I will answer any detailed questions you have later today, busy right now sorry.

woodie

#6 Post by woodie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:53 pm

In my opinion get a multi jig from jojan that way you can do 6 arrows at once. They might coast a bit more but cheaper in the long run.
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

indie

#7 Post by indie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks for the advice all. I've had a chat to John, a most generous and helpful man for sure. Morgan, thanks for the link. Amazing how the simplest of devices can often do the job and I'll have a crack at that at some point for sure. Woodie, I'll see how I go with the cheap bamboo arrows first up. If I'm hooked after that the multi jig may be on the future purchase list. :biggrin: