REMOVING STRING FOLLOW USING HEAT

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Dennis La Varenne

REMOVING STRING FOLLOW USING HEAT

#1 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed May 14, 2014 4:45 am

The details of the technique I have developed will be found in the attached PDF which all of you can download for your own reading.

Basically, I developed the technique from an idea put forward by Robert Elmer in his 1946 book - TARGET ARCHERY - when I was casting about for a method of removing the string follow in many of my collection of old wood bows from before the fibreglass era beginning around 1950.

These old bows often had string follow close to 4 inches and many had varying amounts in individual limbs putting them out of tilller with their mate. They had obviously not been looked after and my guess is that many of them were left braced for very long periods in conditions of relatively high humidity.

I had already found that it was nothing like disastrous to reverse bend a wood bow as the old caution warned. I had been doing it after shooting for decades without problem. I had once gradually reverse bent an ELB into 12 inches of reflex without problem and I came to realise that gentle and moderate reverse bending posed no problem unless there was already some kind of damage to the bow already.

In my technique which you will read about, I have reverse bent very old bows into as much as 8 inches in order to remove their string follow and bring them back to something approaching their nominal draw weight and often this would be exceeded by a considerable margin assisted by the wood having dried out considerably more since they were first made.

The other interesting fact that I have found is that there seems to be no limit to the number of times one can re-apply this technique to tweak or refurbish a bow which has resumed some degree of string follow.

To date, I have not tried it on native Australia woods because presently, I don't have a bow made from a native wood. When I do, I will most certainly apply the technique should it require it.
REMOVING STRING-FOLLOW USING HEAT.pdf
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

rodlonq

Re: REMOVING STRING FOLLOW USING HEAT

#2 Post by rodlonq » Wed May 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Nice work Dennis, thank you for posting it for all to read.

Cheers... Rod

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Wed May 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Dennis, thank you for your interesting article which I have down loaded to my library.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Dennis La Varenne

#4 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu May 15, 2014 6:07 pm

Rod,

I have made that little mathematical correction you PM'd me about and reposted the PDF to include it. You are quite correct of course.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun May 18, 2014 11:04 pm

Rodlonq has just pointed another error in the text of my paper which I have corrrected, so anybody who has downloaded it, should ditch them and download the last updated version.

Thank you Rod.
Dennis La Varénne