"Dad and the Lad" hunting bows

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

"Dad and the Lad" hunting bows

#1 Post by rodlonq » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Haven't posted in here for a while. Here are two hunting bows I have made over the last few weeks for a friend and his young son. They are both stoked (big grins all round) so it was a worthwhile effort.

The Lad's bow is 52" NTN, 25#@24" and he is drawing it to about 17" pulling about 15# (it is 22#@22" and flings a 335 grain 22" BOP arrow at around 140 fps :biggrin: It is fun to play with)
The Dad's bow is 68" NTN, 53#@28" and he is drawing it to about 30" pulling about 59# (flings a 630 grain 28" BOP arrow at around 168 fps )

Both bows have black ULS glass back and belly, Black Wattle riser, Qld Silver Ash and Black Gidgea accents with Black Wattle/buffalo horn/Ringed Gidgea tip overlays. The riser overlay on the full size bow is Black Wattle/Ringed Gidgea and (not so) clear fibreglass.
Both bows are cut to about 1/16" before centre and have leather strike plates adding about another 1/16" before centre.

The full size bow is the one that I modelled on my son's bow dimensions and it came in 10# lighter and the only difference is I used coffee bamboo instead of natural and black ULS instead of brown?????
DadAndTheLad1.JPG
DadAndTheLad1.JPG (128.72 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
It is a shame it was heavily overcast when I took the photos :oops: . In full sun the Black Wattle has beautiful honey/gold figuring that is just breathtaking. Maybe some other time I'll get another photo.
DadAndTheLad2.JPG
DadAndTheLad2.JPG (183.47 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
DadAndTheLad3.JPG
DadAndTheLad3.JPG (189.24 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
The little bloke hasn't stopped pestering his Dad about going hunting so he can bag a piglet :lol: .

Cheers....... Rod
Last edited by rodlonq on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

Re: "Dad and the Lad" hunting bows

#2 Post by Jim » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:22 pm

They look great. It's really cool to have a matching pair for a father and son. I bet you won't find a kid more proud than the young lad that will be holding that alongside his dad. That's really, genuinely awesome Rod. Well done sir!

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Good stuff Rod,the bows look tops :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Well done Rod, it is excellent to see a father and son combination taking up the sport, can't get much better.

Is the adult bow a deflex/reflex design?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Macca

#5 Post by Macca » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Awesome Rod, great job, a lot of talented people on this forum.

Flatliner

#6 Post by Flatliner » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Very nice indeed Rod, we all need mates like you. There's nothing like flinging a few arrows around with your kids for the bonding thing.
You sure that's Black Walnut? looks more like Black Wattle in the pics,,,, but photos do that sometimes.

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:30 pm

terrific job Rod.Very well made and respectable speeds too! With that fiddleback grain the riser material surely does look like black wattle.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 pm

so the new shed's is in full production - well done with the bows. :smile:

cheers
sue

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks everyone.

Daryl, yes the adult bow is a deflex/reflex design. The blank is the same shape as the one shown below.
JessosBlank.jpg
JessosBlank.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Rob and Bob..... you know what I meant :oops: Yes it is black wattle. I was originally going to mix it up with QLD Walnut but didn't go with that idea in the end (except for in the first post).

Cheers...... Rod

UPTHETOP

#10 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:02 am

Great combination bows Rod, and good to see the friends getting involved good stuff.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

rodlonq

#11 Post by rodlonq » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks Wayno, it is very satisfying to see folks taking up trad gear.

Cheers... Rod