RECURVED ELBs - TRUE OR NOT?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Dennis La Varenne

RECURVED ELBs - TRUE OR NOT?

#1 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:25 pm

In discussing Mick’s interesting and obviously well made bow above in the thread (http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14536) , there has crept the inference or the assertion that his bow IS a bow of Burgundian style or an ELB with recurved ends.

Quite apart from what is regarded as definitive about long bows and Longbows, and the obvious contradiction in terms within the assertion, I am of the opinion that there is not a thread of genuine evidence that the average English military archer was ever equipped with long recurve ended bows in English military service or even in home service and lawful practice.

There are very occasional pictures depicting archers shooting long recurve ended bows in various liveries. Some of these may well be English mercenaries in service to other regimes, but equally, they may not be English mercenaries. The livery does not necessarily spell out who was wearing it in the picture. We just cannot be certain about this. There is just not the evidence which is anything more substantial than hints.

Daryl has referred to an extract from Mike Loades’ excellent and very pragmatic book entitled ‘Longbow’ were he refers to English mercenaries in the service of Burgundy. We do not know whether the bows depicted were of Burgundian origin and manufacture as standard Burgundian artillery or whether English archers came ready equipped with long recurve ended bows which were manufactured in England.

In regard to the use of long recurve ended bows, Mike Loades says on page 17 at the end of his first paragraph in the inset –“Without the material evidence of actual bows, it is hard to be certain.” That is the crux of the issue. We cannot be certain. We can only speculate.

I have some difficulty accepting Len’s assertion above that Mick’s bow IS Burgundian. From the very pictures I have seen, such as that on page 37 of Loades’ book, one can only say that Mick’s bow has some very modest similarities and that is all that can be said. If Mick’s bow IS Burgundian, did he deliberately set out with prior knowledge that he intended to build a Burgundian bow from whatever examples or, as is more likely from his post above, that he built a bow from something in his imagination drawn from the style of the English Longbow. By his own admission, the latter is the case. The only similarity I can see between his and the Loades’picture above of a Burgundian bow is that it is both long and also has some reflex in the outer limb greater than and commencing lower on the limb than what is shown in Loades’ picture.

There is nothing wrong with Mick’s bow. It is well made and apparently it shoots very well probably for reasons more closely related to what Daryl has pointed out about the mass of the Yew limbs. I do not consider that recurved outer limbs have anything to do with it and I do not believe that recurving the outer ends of bows made from wood has even a slight performance benefit despite the history of their considerable and widespread use in the first half of the 20th century. I will go into my reasoning shortly.

Mike Loades went on to suggest that even if long recurve ended bows may well have been given a trial, they seem to have been discarded for practical reasons of functional output versus manufacturing inputs, which would have included cost. I find this a more persuasive argument considering some experiments I have conducted on some of my all-wood static recurve ended bows compared to straight bows from the same manufacturer of the same nock to nock length and made from the same limb material. The experiment was to ascertain whether or not the recurved ends actually worked as in working recurves.

The bows tested were made by Ben Pearson in the 1940s. The static recurves were his model 502-R of 66 inches nock to nock measured along the back surface. The comparison was made with his model 502 bows which have the same width profile and length but lack only the recurved ends
Straight ended 66” Ben Pearson bow with 1 ½” of set. Most of these bows in my collection had this amount of set. Only 3 or 4 out of 14 had tips which were behind the handle belly. The red line shows the amount of set.
Straight ended 66” Ben Pearson bow with 1 ½” of set. Most of these bows in my collection had this amount of set. Only 3 or 4 out of 14 had tips which were behind the handle belly. The red line shows the amount of set.
535536F0EFBE455A9E986CF67797A64C.jpg (127.66 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
Static recurve ended 66” Ben Pearson bow with 2 ½” of set. All such bows in my collection had similar or worse amounts of set shown by the red line.
Static recurve ended 66” Ben Pearson bow with 2 ½” of set. All such bows in my collection had similar or worse amounts of set shown by the red line.
Locksley 50# static recurve_2a.jpg (180.53 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
Both designs of bow are of rectangular cross-section with exactly the same width profile. I have 6 of the 502-R recurves and many more of the straight ended 502s. I kept all bows to within the same draw weight range between 35 and 50 pounds.

Now, whilst these test bows are not ELBs and have rectangular sections, the fact of whether recurved ends in wood bows have performance benefits over straight ended bows is still justified for the reason that I have compared like with like within the test group.

All of the recurve ended bows tested had more severe recurves than the so-called ‘Burgundian’ bows.

At this point, I would like to point out a few basic wood bowmaking principles –

That the more of the bow limb which can be made to bend during the draw,

1. the more energy is stored in the limb for transmission to the arrow;
2. the more efficiently the bending load is distributed along the limb, and
3. the less likely the bow is to take a set.

In the test bows above, according to my Ben Pearson catalogues from the period (1941 and 1942), all these bows left the factory straight, that is, the recurves had straight limbs up to the start of the recurves and whose nocks were 2 inches forward of the main limb. The straight ended bows were straight out to the tips with the nocks in line with the back of the handle.

As I purchased all these bows, it was very noticeable that the recurves had far more set than the straight ended bows. Averagely, the recurves had 2 ½ inches of set and the straight ended bows had between 1 ¼ and 1 ¾ inches of set. Even with this small difference, the recurved bows had lost a far greater percentage of their nominal draw weight.

(NB: Pearson marked the nominal draw weight under the handle grip wrapping only prior to finishing the bow. He did not mark anything externally on the bows until later in the 1940s. I have no clear evidence, but I suspect that all details were marked on the box ends in which the bows came. This suspicion is based on examples of other contemporary manufacturer’s box labels that I have seen.)

The nocks of the recurves aligned with or behind the back of the handle toward the belly. The nocks of the straight ended bows aligned from 1 ¼ and 1 ¾ inches behind the back of the handle. At first intuition, it would seem that the straight bows had taken more set than the recurves based on their tip alignment with the back of the handle, but this is not the case.

In fact, the recurved bows had moved their tips up to 3 inches behind their initial position at their nominated draw weight. This observation required investigation as to why. So, the following is the experiment I conducted.

I traced a line along the last part of the back surface of the recurved bows using the length of an A4 sheet – one for each of the 6 bows tested. The outline of the recurves of each of the test bows had a datum position 10 inches in from the line of the bow’s tip (see picture below). The datum position was marked on each bow.
Limb-recurve-profile.jpg
Limb-recurve-profile.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
Each bow was mounted on a tiller stick and drawn to half draw – 14 inches - and then to full draw – 28 inches. At each position, I lay its particular recurve profile against the limb, aligning it with the datum point and aligning the limb with the profile to see if there was any opening out of the recurves as a working recurve would do.

The recurves did not change shape at all. So, it can fairly be said that the recurves do not work, hence being static.

Compared to the recurves which were exactly the same nock to nock length as the straight ended bows, meant that the recurves had far less working limb than the recurves by as much as 4 inches at each end effectively giving them the functional limb length of a 58 inch bow (66 inches minus 8 inches of recurves).

So, a straight ended 66 inch bow of 50lbs has far less bending load on it than a 66 inch static recurved bow. Furthermore, the static recurves has string nocks which are 2 inches forward of the back of the bow which then increases the bending load on the limb even further.

This phenomenon of having the tips further forward than a straight ended bow effectively produces the bending load of a much shorter bow instead of a nominal 66 inch bow. So, unless you have a bow whose limbs are made from a prodigiously compression and tension resistant material, you MUST expect far greater string follow and consequent loss of draw weight and cast compared to a straight ended bow and this would explain what I was observing in the test bows.

Even moderately recurved tips have the same effect albeit to a lesser degree. And this is why the static recurves I have in my collection have such severe set compared to the straight ended bows.

So, the amount of outer limb dedicated to reflex which does not unwind and hence store energy has no benefit in a normal wood bow which is why I strongly disagree with Mike Loades’ assertion to the contrary in the inset on page 17 of his book where he says –
“The advantage of such a design is that the recurved shape makes the limbs work faster, the tips springing forward like striking snakes, which in turn moves the string faster. This results in an arrow speed that would otherwise have required a bow of greater draw weight to initiate. Quite simply, it is a more efficient spring.”
It isn’t a more efficient spring because of the limitations of the material from which the spring is made, and secondly, at least the same potential benefit could be got from a shorter straight ended bow.

The only benefit from static recurves on wood bow are if the bow is short, then the string angle at the drawing fingers is less. By putting recurved ends in an ELB, all the other set-inducing disadvantages of static recurves still apply because of the loading on the wood, including Yew.

Also, the single benefit of static recurves toward shallow string angles is hardly a benefit on a bow which is already prodigiously long with an already very shallow string angle at the drawing fingers. If you want to keep the amount of bending load on the limbs down to the equivalent of a straight ended bow, then you MUST increase its length by the amount of the static recurves over and above the standard straight ended length. By doing this, however, you are only increasing outer limb mass unnecessarily to negative advantage once again – a classic example of the law of diminishing returns.

So, coming back to the question of static recurved ends on ELBs, I find it difficult to believe that the English bowmakers would have wasted very much time or effort in effecting recurves on the ends of English made bows when it would very quickly become apparent that there was no benefit to a bow’s cast and a significant amount of additional work in bending the tips into recurves – difficult as that would have been in a limb of narrow and deep section compared to the much later shallow section flatbows of the modern era.

My concluding argument is from the practical viewpoint that genuine improvements tend to remain with us in whatever field of human endeavour.

If there was any genuine benefit in the use of static recurves on ELBs, most certainly we would have seen them on the Mary Rose bows which were made at the end of the English military archery period. Not one of them can be described as being recurved and none of the writers on these bows has described any of them as such despite a few having bent ends consistent with having a weight upon them whilst submerged.

Clearly, if ever the English toyed with the idea at any time, it was discarded in practice as of no benefit. What continental armies preferred and supplied to English mercenaries is another question altogether. But it has little or nothing to do with the equipping of English military archers or the development and/or use of recurve ended ELBs.

I do not believe they ever existed because there is no reason to support any form of performance benefit in a field where utility is paramount.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Gringa Bows

Re: RECURVED ELBs - TRUE OR NOT?

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Very educational thanks Denis :biggrin:

Dennis La Varenne

#3 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Just corrected a few typos.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

Len

#4 Post by Len » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:09 am

I agreed with Grahame in calling the bow a Burgundian bow because to me its not an elb. I also dont reckon the English would have recurved their bows because because the small gain in performance , if any, would not have been worth the extra work in building the bows. Remember they were building them in the thousands and relied on archers having spare bows on campaign.
These bows were drawing 120 -140 lbs so had plenty of punch from a simple but practical design that allowed them to churn them out in the numbers they needed.
Hmmmmmmm.............

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:40 am

Dennis La Varenne wrote:It is well made and apparently it shoots very well probably for reasons more closely related to what Daryl has pointed out about the mass of the Yew limbs....
Dennis, Grahame A wrote the following;

"Yes. Yew is a very light timber and IMHO that is a big contributing factor as to why it makes good bows."
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:46 pm

I watched a documentary some time back [can't remember the name] and it depicted archers rejuvenating their war bows.

When the bow had too much string follow they would heat the limbs and bend them into reflex, sounds plausible.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Len

#7 Post by Len » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Plausible for a favourite or hunting bow maybe but I don't reckon anyone in the army would bother when they could just go to the quarter master and grab another. Bows back then where a disposable item only designed to last a short time which is why we have hardly any left to study.
Hmmmmmmm.............

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Len.
Len wrote:... Bows back then where a disposable item only designed to last a short time which is why we have hardly any left to study.
Were they? I would like to see some evidence. I am willing to accept that they replaceable but they were still an item of cost and as time went on they became harder to replace as the staves being imported were becoming harder to have supplied.

IMHO They may have been expendable but they were not a cheap disposable item.
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Len

#9 Post by Len » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm

G'day Grahame, I'm going on the fact that English armies carried several bows for every archer and that as good as yew is as soon as a bow took a little set or lost just a bit of cast no archer would want to carry it into battle against an angry Frenchman or Scot.
Hmmmmmmm.............

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Len.
Len wrote:G'day Grahame, I'm going on the fact that English armies carried several bows for every archer and that as good as yew is as soon as a bow took a little set or lost just a bit of cast no archer would want to carry it into battle against an angry Frenchman or Scot.
Yes. The number of 3 bows per archer rings a bell (1 initial plus 2 spares) however that does not make them any more disposable than a sword or an axe. The more I read about Archery warfare the more I start to get the impression how expensive it was to put a capable army of archers into the field. Plus as you are aware not all bows were Yew. (An old post http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8668 and it took time to make a finished bow and significantly more than a quick refurbish.)
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Hamish

#11 Post by Hamish » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Renaissance style longbows (recurved) are interesting bows. Whether they actually looked that way I don't know either. The modern ones that I have seen are all wood laminated, rather than reflexed and recurved self staves. Both methods are much more complicated and time consuming to make than the regular medieval/renaissance warbows we are more familiar with.
The modern laminated replica/inspired bows certainly do manage to get the most out of the wood in terms of cast, through Perry reflexing and recurving the tips. Chris Boyton wrote a how to in the Glade magazine several years ago. The backings are made of 2 layers of hickory glued into a very tight reflex, almost like a full circle. When dry the core and belly laminations are bound and glued to the reflexed back which partially lessens the apparent reflex and gives the tips a recurved look.

Reportedly quite difficult to tiller, until you can get the bow to a stage where it can be braced, but provide great cast.

Whether good quality yew was getting harder to find in quantities large enough to supply armies, during the Renaissance it has been suggested that these bows may have been backed/laminated bows. Caesin glue made from diary products could have been used as it has better resistance to moisture than hide glue, and so would be more reliable in battle conditions.

There are fragments of ash backed yew from Tudor times, though I think they were from a youth bow, rather than a warbow.
Also it is feasible that New World timbers could start entering the European market during the Renaissance increasing the viability of manufacturing backed bows.
Quite elaborately reflexed and recurved bows both self and backed come from Belgium, Switzerland , and France, but as far as I know the examples that survive are from the 17th and 18th and 19th centuries and were recreational bows rather than warbows.
Hamish.

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Hamish wrote:Renaissance style longbows (recurved) are interesting bows. Whether they actually looked that way I don't know either. The modern ones that I have seen are all wood laminated, rather than reflexed and recurved self staves. Both methods are much more complicated and time consuming to make than the regular medieval/renaissance warbows we are more familiar with.
The modern laminated replica/inspired bows certainly do manage to get the most out of the wood in terms of cast, through Perry reflexing and recurving the tips. Chris Boyton wrote a how to in the Glade magazine several years ago. The backings are made of 2 layers of hickory glued into a very tight reflex, almost like a full circle. When dry the core and belly laminations are bound and glued to the reflexed back which partially lessens the apparent reflex and gives the tips a recurved look.

Reportedly quite difficult to tiller, until you can get the bow to a stage where it can be braced, but provide great cast.

Whether good quality yew was getting harder to find in quantities large enough to supply armies, during the Renaissance it has been suggested that these bows may have been backed/laminated bows. Caesin glue made from diary products could have been used as it has better resistance to moisture than hide glue, and so would be more reliable in battle conditions.

There are fragments of ash backed yew from Tudor times ...
Just for interest :

Between 1530 and 1560 England imported over 500,000 staves as much because their own yew was poor and as much as there wasn't any from Nuremburg, Austria and Poland. It is suggested that backing of bows started in the 1500s and that a backed bow from the 1650s of yew backed with ash is held by the Royal Company of Archers in Edinburgh. Soar, Secret of the English Warbow p47

As for recurving etc. If people are interested there are some interesting comments in Chapter Two of Soar.
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#13 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:35 pm

If you had a couple of pointy spare straight sticks it would have been easier to jam them into the ground for defense against mounted enemy than trying to stick in a couple of recurved sticks.

Kevin
My side brought bows to the argument and we did not speak Anglish.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Roadie

#14 Post by Roadie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Ay Kevin, most people at the time spoke and wrote in Latin, occasionally using the Local Dialect. Cheers Roadie.
PS will you be at Wisemans, and will you have your Anti Freeze, or do I need to Stock up.

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:23 am

Wes thu hal Grant.
Roadie wrote:Ay Kevin, most people at the time spoke and wrote in Latin, occasionally using the Local Dialect. Cheers Roadie.
PS will you be at Wisemans, and will you have your Anti Freeze, or do I need to Stock up.
I will disagree a little with you here. Depending on the time period it is probable that most people were illiterate - they were unable to read or write beyond a very basic level.

Latin was the language of the Church (and officialdom) and that was a limited number of people. Written communication would have been in Medieval Latin or Norman-French/Anglo-Norman. (Note Henry II started using English for written communication.)

If we are looking around the 11C/12C the more common spoken language would have been Angelesaxe - i.e Middle English - amongst the Saxon and Norman French amongst the new residents. (Modern English is roughly mid 16C on although you may have difficulties reading it.) Note The change in the spoken and written word is a continuum - it did not happen overnight

Irrespective of all that it will have zilch (modern Oz) effect on your ability to send arrows yonder.
longbowinfected wrote:If you had a couple of pointy spare straight sticks it would have been easier to jam them into the ground for defense against mounted enemy than trying to stick in a couple of recurved sticks.

Kevin
My side brought bows to the argument and we did not speak Anglish.
I will strongly suggest that six foot of stick stuck in the ground will not be of much help against the chap with the couched lance. Better to use the bent stick to kill the horse when it is a a few yards away - then beat the chap with the stick severely, with gusto and enthusiasm, over the head.

Sticking them in the ground is an action of last resort and probably your last as well.
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#16 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi Grahame, Last resort and 50 yards in front of you half way up a long hill with me and a few mates at the top behind a ditch with more shorter sticks to spare for a final flight. :biggrin:
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

longbowinfected

#17 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Roadie,

Not sure about Robert's. I want to but there is a Sydney shoot at Warringah Archers on the Saturday. Not many chances to shoot the longer distance competitions. Might be able to turn up in the afternoon /evening in the Swiss rescue tradition with a wee dram. Certainly going to try for the next day. I have not been to a trad shoot for a fair while. Will probably shoot everything but the novelties.

How are your pins?

Kevin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by greybeard » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:20 pm

From the series 'Weapons that made Britain' by Mike Loades [2004].

"We learn about the ‘reflexed bow’, a construction style that gave longbows great velocity, and that the Port of London was the centre of the bow-making industry."

Chris Boyton is the bowyer but no reference is made to his research documents.
Part 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-jsvBt2HI0
Part 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUQAFQfZFO0

Daryl.
[Ascham]

GrahameA

#19 Post by GrahameA » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi Daryl.
greybeard wrote:From the series 'Weapons that made Britain' by Mike Loades [2004].

"We learn about the ‘reflexed bow’, a construction style that gave longbows great velocity, and that the Port of London was the centre of the bow-making industry."

Chris Boyton is the bowyer but no reference is made to his research documents.
Part 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-jsvBt2HI0
Part 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUQAFQfZFO0

Daryl.
There is a reference to the Deane Brothers and the first bows that they retrieved from the wreck in Soars book and to the comment that they appeared to be recurved/reflexed. Unfortunately both of the bows they retrieved have been misplaced. You may however, you may find this illustration of some interest.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=P21 ... ow&f=false

Discovery and Investigation

The 'Mary Rose' was rediscovered in 1836 when a fisherman snagged his line; the site was dived by the Deane brothers, who in the following four years retrieved a number of guns and other finds. However, the wreck was forgotten once more until 1965 when Alexander McKee resumed the search as part of ‘Project Solent Ships.’ https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/dis ... mary-rose/

With reference to the video, some additional information:

In 1980, before the finds from the Mary Rose, Robert E. Kaiser published a paper stating that there were five known surviving longbows:[2]

The first bow comes from the Battle of Hedgeley Moor in 1464, during the Wars of the Roses. A family who lived at the castle since the battle had preserved it to modern times. It is 1.66 m (65 in) and a 270 N (60 lbf) draw force.[57]

The second dates to the Battle of Flodden in 1513 ("a landmark in the history of archery, as the last battle on English soil to be fought with the longbow as the principal weapon..."[58]). It hung in the rafters at the headquarters of the Royal Scottish Archers in Edinburgh.[2] It has a draw force of 360 to 410 N (80 to 90 lbf).

The third and fourth were recovered in 1836 by John Deane from the Mary Rose.[59] Both weapons are in the Tower of London Armoury and Horace Ford writing in 1887 estimated them to have a draw force of 280 to 320 N (65 to 70 lbf).[60] A modern replica made in the early 1970s of these bows has a draw force of 460 N (102 lbf).[61]

The fifth surviving longbow comes from the armoury of the church in the village of Mendlesham in Suffolk, and is believed to date either from the period of Henry VIII or Queen Elizabeth I. The Mendlesham Bow is broken but has an estimated length of 1.73 to 1.75 m (68 to 69 in) and draw force of 350 N (80 lbf).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow

Kaiser Paper http://margo.student.utwente.nl/sagi/ar ... ngbow.html
Grahame.

Dennis La Varenne

#20 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:01 pm

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your interest in my thread. I had no idea that any of you had posted because I was not getting the usual automated replies by email letting one know that someone had posted on the thread. Jeff pointed it out to me today. I do not know why I did not get them as I usually do and I thought the subject was perhaps too boring for members to be bothered with. Not so it seems.

I will comment on your posts perhaps tomorrow (Sunday) given half a chance. My apologies for my tardiness and thank you for your interest.
Dennis La Varénne

hunterguy1991

#21 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:50 pm

G'day guys,

Would like a little input into the original debate about recurve in ELB's... I happened to stumble across a youtube video today from a series called "Weapons that Made Britain" that was solely dedicated to the English longbow.

In the documentary they had an expert bow maker look at a bow from the Mary Rose and a point he brought up was the fact that the bows from the Mary Rose had very thin limb tips... and suggested that the reason for this was in fact to recurve them... Pictures from ancient scripts also depicted English bows with slightly recurved tips.

Looking over the Images Dennis put up, it seems that the proportions of the recurved and straight limbed bows are the same, thus creating a "static" tip... if the tips were thinned like the bows of the Mary Rose they would become working recurves and have some affect on cast and speed.

I will try to find the video again and post a link for your viewing.

Colin

hunterguy1991

#22 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:09 pm

heres the link, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0wssl9fWo

Colin

GrahameA

#23 Post by GrahameA » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:16 am

Morning.
hunterguy1991 wrote:heres the link, enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0wssl9fWo
The Mike Loades/Chris Boyton video is interesting, however it is a tad superficial.

I will try to summarise the issues. (and present things as unbiased as possible.)

* The general view that is put forward is that the English Longbow had nil reflex or recurve.

* There is a body of evidence that shows/suggests that some ELB's may have been recurved/reflexed. And at the moment there are varying views on that.
- Some people are strictly that there were no reflexed/recurved Medieval English Longbows,
- Some people say that there is enough evidence to support a case that some Medieval English Longbows were reflexed/recurved.

* There is a stronger body of evidence that a larger percentage of other long bows - eg Italian long bows and Burgundian long bows - were reflexed/recurved.

* The amount of hard evidence for any case is very poor - there is arguably nil medieval bows or artifacts as hard evidence. The best evidence available are depictions of bows in paintings from the time.

If people are interested in English Longbows it great stuff to discuss, if people are not interested in English Longbows then it probably boring.
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

Len

#24 Post by Len » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 am

G'day guys, as for elb's having thin tips for recurving Imo thats just wrong. They had thin tips for performance, ask anyone who has made self bows and they will te you get the tips as small as possible. I've made reicas of Mary Rose bows with half inch tips and they shoot lovely. A heavier tip would just slow them done and add hand shock.
Hmmmmmmm.............

GrahameA

#25 Post by GrahameA » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Len.
Len wrote:G'day guys, as for elb's having thin tips for recurving Imo thats just wrong. They had thin tips for performance, ask anyone who has made self bows and they will te you get the tips as small as possible. I've made reicas of Mary Rose bows with half inch tips and they shoot lovely. A heavier tip would just slow them done and add hand shock.
IMHO You do not need to have thin tips to recurve them.

As a general statement in you are making a bow that has working "ends" you will size them so they will take up the curve you want.
Grahame.

Dennis La Varenne

#26 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:26 am

The YouTube link posted by Colin is pretty old and Mike Loades who is the author of the book 'LONGBOW' which I cite in my original post discusses the issue of long 'recurved' bows used by the English mediaeval military archer in detail. I have cited his comments on the lack of concrete evidence to their existence. All arguments to the contrary are based on highly questionable illustrations from contemporary books and manuscripts where a few pictures show recurved ends and the greatest number by far do not.

I do not understand the wishful thinking which leads so many to consider/believe that English military archers used recurve ended bows. The commonest belief is that they have greater cast. I have very grave doubts about that belief based upon how many of my personal bows which have recurved ends have taken sets far greater than any of my straight-ended bows for the reasons I set out above. I also have 4 Yew bows which have recurved ends and were made in the 1930s and 1940s. One has the classic ELB cross-section, another is classically rectangular and the other two have shallow convexed bellies. ALL of them have severe string follow to the depth of the recurves. All four are of differing lengths from 64 inches to 72 inches. Being made of Yew was no protection against string follow any more than the Hickory bows of my test above.

I hope that nobody is seriously suggesting that with so much string follow, that these recurve-ended bows would out-cast a straight ended bow which had (in my collection at least) half the string follow of the recurve ended bows.

Also, Mike Loades has professedly a preference for the long recurve ended bow (see post above). Every one of the drawn illustrations in his book not taken from contemporary mediaeval and renaissance originals shows English military archers with long recurve-ended bow when even he says in his book that there is simply NO evidence for their use.

Common sense tells us that somewhere in those times that there is bound to have been some English archer who used and preferred a continental European bow of some description. But, again, I aver that if there was any genuine performance benefit from having recurved ends, especially as body armour improved towards the end of the mediaeval era, that such an improvement which would yield the improvement in cast which Loades' attributes to such bows would surely have remained in production and almost certainly become the dominant form. We humans tend not to jettison significant improvements which help us to survive.

Quite simply, there is not a shred of serious archaeological evidence to demonstrate that recurve ended bows did make any kind of inroad into the common form of long bow. Contemporary pictures notwithstanding, even these cannot be confirmed as accurate depictions or artistic license in books which were more notable for their artistic presentation. As a calligrapher (retired) I do know something about this art from my study of facsimile copies of old codices and scrolls.

Grahame above is quite right about not needing thin tips for recurving. All of mine, both Yew and Hickory are thicker than the limb just below the recurve. My thoughts on this are that the thicker recurves are less likely to come out after bending than thinner ends which would tend toward unbending because of their smaller cross-section and lose whatever benefit they may have had. Their mass of course is greater with the usual consequence of higher limb tip mass.

Colin thought that thin tips with recurved ends may become working recurves in effect, but working recurves need to be far more gradual and beginning much further down the limb that those suggested on the hypothetical long English recurved bow. These hypothetical bows have recurves whose radii are quite small which mitigates against any form of working recurve, however thin the tips. Working recurves on deep sectioned bow limbs just do not happen. For recurves to work, the limbs must be both very thin and wide just like the modern recurved bow with the curve being formed over something like half of the limb length. They are meant to work like a cam, not a lever.
Dennis La Varénne

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#27 Post by greybeard » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 am

With a lack of substantiated evidence all we can say is that no proof exists to confirm that ELB s’ had recurved tips.

Similarly there is no evidence to prove that some bows were reflexed although we do know that staves can go into reflex during the seasoning process.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Dennis La Varenne

#28 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Daryl,

That is exactly right. There is no evidence of what was what apart from the MR bows and one or two other artifacts from the Tower and somebody's house as I recall. They were all straight ended.

Yes, reflexing can certainly occur. I bought a heavily reflexed Yew bows from eBay from a crowd calling itself Flagella Dei in Hungary. It is obviously coppiced wood with numerous sizeable knots. Here is a picture of it from the FD ad.
75 inch x 41# Yew Longbow.jpg
75 inch x 41# Yew Longbow.jpg (872.93 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
It is a 75 inches of suitable draw weight for me and it had 3 inches of reflex as the 3rd pic shows.

Since I have had that bow, the reflex had increased to over 8 inches and was barely bendable with all my present 48kg loaded onto it. It had also cast at both ends. However I have heat bent it back to its original 3 inches of set and the brute fought me all the way. Because of its length and tip mass, it does have a lot of kick in it even with 10gn/lb arrows, so it still needs a good amount of piking as well. There remains a half inch cast in the last 12 inches of the lower limb which I will take out shortly.

All this additional reflexing occurred because this stave was taken from the tension side of an overhanging sapling and also because of the very low humidity where I live in the Southern Riverina. But using a heat gun, I was able to sort it out pretty well. We do know that heat was used in English bowmaking because on page 107 of my edition of Toxophilus, Ascham advises bowyers to use 'heats convenient and tillerings plenty'.
Dennis La Varénne

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#29 Post by greybeard » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Dennis,

That is an interesting yew longbow.

I was unaware that staves could reflex to that extent, could this bow be the exception or more the rule. It would appear that climatic conditions may have had an influence on the amount reflexing.

Was the excessive reflexing removed to preserve the integrity of the bow or to make it a more comfortable bow to shoot?

Although there is no proof it is possible that bowyers did mimic nature and reflexed staves.

“It had also cast at both ends” and “There remains a half inch cast in the last 12 inches of the lower limb” this is not a familiar term to me, can you please elaborate?

Daryl.
[Ascham]

GrahameA

#30 Post by GrahameA » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Afternoon Dennis.
Dennis La Varenne wrote:That is exactly right. There is no evidence of what was what apart from the MR bows and one or two other artifacts from the Tower and somebody's house as I recall. They were all straight ended.
Not quite. At least one of the bows that they Deane Brothers retrieved from the Mary Rose in 1840 appears to show both reflex and to some extent recurve. The downside is those bows were sold to the publich and who knows where they are now.

The bigger issue here is that the lack of physical evidence does not support either argument other than to say "we do not know".
Last edited by GrahameA on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.