Renaissance style English Longbow. Hickory backed Yew.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Trad Bound

Re: Renaissance style English Longbow. Hickory backed Yew.

#31 Post by Trad Bound » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:13 pm

Here goes
Has this thread not been high jack by others interests.
Mika put up his take on a bow.
The debate as to what style I dont think was asked for and please note Mika seems to have stepped back from the discussion. I think you will find some of us, me include have tried to keep it to the acknowledgement of Mika's work.
We need to watch our responses because they can have a negative impact on participation on this forum. Thank you to those who have shared their thoughts on the style of bow maybe it is time you started your own thread.
I hold a high regard for those here but I came to this topic about someones wonderful work not to hear this debate that continues to go around and around. Take it to another thread.please!!!
TonyJ

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Straight limb meaning the limbs continually bend toward the archer when strung.
Thanks Jeff, I have always thought that 'straight limbs' meant that the bow was laid up on a straight/flat surface.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#33 Post by bigbob » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Trad Bound wrote:Here goes
Has this thread not been high jack by others interests.
Mika put up his take on a bow.
The debate as to what style I dont think was asked for and please note Mika seems to have stepped back from the discussion. I think you will find some of us, me include have tried to keep it to the acknowledgement of Mika's work.
We need to watch our responses because they can have a negative impact on participation on this forum. Thank you to those who have shared their thoughts on the style of bow maybe it is time you started your own thread.
I hold a high regard for those here but I came to this topic about someones wonderful work not to hear this debate that continues to go around and around. Take it to another thread.please!!!
TonyJ
Have to agree.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

ron300wm

#34 Post by ron300wm » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:10 pm

I agree tradbound and big bob

rodlonq

#35 Post by rodlonq » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:08 pm

mikaluger wrote: It is an Australians, beer induced, retrospective thought based, materials I had at hand, impulse built, longbow thingy!!!!!..........but that description wont fit in the title box. :)I apologise for the bum steer, and if I have offended anyone. :confused:

Grahame, the above longbow thingy is a cracker to shoot. It picks up the weight very early and is glossy smooth. The yew is a factor here I think, that and the length. Arrow speed is fantastic.

Mick.
Love the revised description mate :lol: Nearly spat beer all over the keyboard. If you don't try to pigeon hole it and just enjoy shooting it then you are on a winner. By the way, the workmanship looks first class.

Cheers..... Rod