What attributes make for a sweet shooting osage bow?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Re: What attributes make for a sweet shooting osage bow?

#31 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Grahame. I don't rate myself as an expert when it comes to selfbows. There are far more qualified bowyers out there who have forgotten more than what I might know.

It is fun to discuss the various aspects of this subject though, I have added my comments below in green

GrahameA wrote:Hi Mick.
Mick Smith wrote:... ... that most bows are overbuilt ....
I am not so sure about that. There are few areas that material could be removed without affecting how the bow performs.

You can remove material from non-working recurves which will lower the mass at the limb extremes and in return provide a faster limb. However, only a small percentage of bows have non-working recurves. Another area is the rigid handle/riser you can remove material which will decrease the overall mass however why are they/were they made so large in the first place?

I would suggest that the design/performance should determine what it looks like. The old saying of form follows function.

I think it's possible to remove weight in most areas except perhaps the parts of the limb that are storing most of the bow's energy. I will discuss tips and risers later.

Mick Smith wrote:... and that includes the overall length.
I am very guilty of building longer bows and am happy to take the decrease in performance in return for other characteristics. As an example - Longer bows are not subjected to the level of stress/strain that shorter bows are and thus have a longer life. I am not willing to sacrifice bow life for more performance - I am willing to invest more in better /stronger materials.

This is the crux of the issue. If you're seeking a very efficient bow, you sometimes have to take certain risks. You have to be willing to sail closer to the wind, when it comes to the danger of failure. I know of bows that have been built in this manner, but are still going strong after years of constant use. This is one of the reason why I like osage, it seems to hold up better than many other timbers in this regard.
Mick Smith wrote:... a minimal handle, as the handle does nothing other than add unnecessary weight and length to a bow. More good design attributes include a comparatively short overall length, very narrow and minimal tips which remain narrow for as long as possible, reducing weight in this crucial area, which equals added arrow speed.
Shortening a bow may give issues with stacking and finger pinch. So the desired performance may come at the cost of other items. However, they can be addressed by a better design it that option is available. The same story for tips. They can be made small however there are issues - it is not as easy as it seems. Making them smaller and you start to see whip-ending appear and as they get smaller their torsional rigidity decreases.

Finger pinch can affect some people more than others. Personally, I never suffer from it, even when shooting a 48 inch Ben Pearson 'Ambusher' recurve that I have. It must be my dainty fingers, combined with a relatively short draw length. Personally, I don't see how finger pinch could be an issue with any bow over 60 inches in length. Stacking can be an issue, but then again that will come back to the bow's design, more so than any effort to upgrade a particular bow's efficiency. I believe that it stands to reason that a bow of any given reasonable length with a working grip area would be more efficient that one with a rigid handle of the same length. When it comes to tips, I believe this is one area that can easily be made more efficient. I don't simply suggest that they be made smaller. I suggest that they be made slightly differently, ie, very narrow and relatively long (when viewed from the front of the bow), but relatively thick when viewed from the side elevation. Due to the direction of the stresses placed on the tip, a tip made using this formula can be made lighter and yet be just as strong as a more conventional wider tip. The tip section of the limb isn't usually a major working section of the limb.
Mick Smith wrote:... Osage Orange isn't all the same ... .... osage bows tend to have an organic quality ... ...they have 'character'.
Osage is not high on my list of timbers. For all the things that it has - and I do appreciate its character - I am unwilling to work with a timber that can be a "pain" to work with as it twists and turns.

IMHO I suggest that people decide what characteristics they want to have, choose a known design that has those inherent characteristics and try to improve them.

As an example

If one seeks a (traditional) short bow with high performance it is hard to go past the Korean bow, The downside is the the skill level and the time to make one is high and long.

At the other end of the spectrum a simple longbow/flatbow is much easier to make.

Add a bit of steaming and recurving ups the performance.

That can be extended in that the recurving can be made greater and you get the side benefit that you can make the N2N shorter without stack and finger pinch.

However, the gains in performance come at the cost in the skill level to make them increases, the time/effort increases and often the 'demanded' quality of the material increases.
Please bear in mind that I don't proclaim my comments to be anything other than personal opinions. Opinions that I can and will easily change if I am presented with convincing arguments to the contrary. As I said earlier, but in different words , I'm not a bowyer's bum hole, really, but I do try to understand the principals involved. :smile:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

GrahameA

#32 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:50 am

Hi Mick.
Mick Smith wrote:Please bear in mind that I don't proclaim my comments to be anything other than personal opinions. ...
My view is everyone is entitled to an opinion it is just how they express it that becomes an issue.
Mick Smith wrote:...This is one of the reason why I like osage, it seems to hold up better than many other timbers in this regard.
That is one method of approaching the issue, i.e. going to "better" materials. However, such a change has it own issues.
Mick Smith wrote:... Personally, I don't see how finger pinch could be an issue with any bow over 60 inches in length.
"Stack" and "Pinch" are symptoms of string angle issues. Build the bow in such a way that it has low string angles and you will get both.

The principles of what makes an efficient/effective shooting machine - which is what a bow is - are relatively well understood if people want to seek them out.. However, implementing them is driven by skill, resources, design and external factors (real and perceived).

I am a believer in people experimenting with things - the act of building it offers the opportunity to put into action your thoughts.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#33 Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:44 pm

GrahameA wrote:"Stack" and "Pinch" are symptoms of string angle issues. Build the bow in such a way that it has low string angles and you will get both.
Grahame, shouldn't it read 'Build the bow in such a way that it has low string angles and you will minimise or eliminate both.'

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#34 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi Daryl.
greybeard wrote:
GrahameA wrote:"Stack" and "Pinch" are symptoms of string angle issues. Build the bow in such a way that it has low string angles and you will get both.
Grahame, shouldn't it read 'Build the bow in such a way that it has low string angles and you will minimise or eliminate both.'

Daryl.
Yes. The brain is not working that well today.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#35 Post by greybeard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:04 am

Hi Mick,

Some simple Osage bows without European influence. Definitely not over built.

Daryl.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/inde ... ic=24624.0
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Mick Smith

#36 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:05 pm

No definitely not overbuilt Daryl. :biggrin:

I wonder what those short draw American Indian bows would be like shoot. It would be a totally different experience to what I'm used to. I can't ever see myself getting over excited about making one personally, but I could get interested in making one that I could draw back to 28 inches. I would imagine that it would have to be somewhere in the vicinity of 60 inches and with a fully working 'handle'.

Thanks for the link.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#37 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi Grahame.

I suppose the beauty of building your own bow from scratch, is that you can build it in which ever way you like. Basically, its making a personal statement.

Thanks for your valued input.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#38 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 pm

Mick Smith wrote:I wonder what those short draw American Indian bows would be like shoot. It would be a totally different experience to what I'm used to.
Mick, I have shot a couple that Dennis La Varenne made and they felt weird to shoot because I couldn't draw them back to my full draw. It is something that would take some time to get used to I think.

Jeff

GrahameA

#39 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi Mick.
Mick Smith wrote:I suppose the beauty of building your own bow from scratch, is that you can build it in which ever way you like. Basically, its making a personal statement.
Yep, better still you hopefully will get what you want.
Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#40 Post by greybeard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:30 pm

Mick Smith wrote:but I could get interested in making one that I could draw back to 28 inches. I would imagine that it would have to be somewhere in the vicinity of 60 inches and with a fully working 'handle'.
Hi Mick, is the 28 inch draw AMO or DLPP [true draw length]?

I think the Al Herrin design would work well, start a bit over length and you have the option of shortening the bow if the opportunity arises.
Al Herrin.jpg
Al Herrin.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

Mick Smith

#41 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 pm

greybeard wrote:
Mick Smith wrote:but I could get interested in making one that I could draw back to 28 inches. I would imagine that it would have to be somewhere in the vicinity of 60 inches and with a fully working 'handle'.

I think the Al Herrin design would work well, start a bit over length and you have the option of shortening the bow if the opportunity arises.
Al Herrin.jpg
Daryl.
Hi Daryl. Exactly what I was thinking. It was the Al Herrin clip that starting me thinking along these lines. My draw length is just under 28 inches AMO. I make my arrows 28 inches long.

My only reservation would be about the confort factor for my bow hand without a handle of any description.

longbow steve

#42 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:20 pm

Mick Smith wrote:
greybeard wrote:

Al Herrin.jpg
Daryl.
Hi Daryl. Exactly what I was thinking. It was the Al Herrin clip that starting me thinking along these lines. My draw length is just under 28 inches AMO. I make my arrows 28 inches long.

My only reservation would be about the confort factor for my bow hand without a handle of any description.
The bendy handle bows are surprisingly comfortable to shoot Mick so dont let the lack of handle put you off. Steve

Mick Smith

#43 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:04 pm

I have just bought an osage orange stave on US ebay. It was just $40, but the shipping was much more. I plan to make an Al Herrin style bow with it. Here's the description that was on ebay ...

''Up for auction is this hand split OSAGE ORANGE bow stave. It is 62 inches long, 2 inches high, 2 1/4 plus and inches wide. It is straight and has no twist. The growth rings are close. I see a few small knots on the back and a defect on one side---it appears to me that this will not affect the bow (see picture). It was cut (live tree) 1-2014. The ends and back are sealed with polyurethane. It is a piece of PREMIUM Osage Orange wood. If you wish to have multiple items shipped in one package, I will adjust shipping costs accordingly. Happy bidding and thank you.''

I will have to leave it to season for a while before starting work on it.

I will post up some photos of it when I've worked out how to resize them, as I can't do it in my normal way for some reason.

Mick Smith

#44 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:13 pm

Okay, here's a few photos of how it appeared on ebay ...
Attachments
osage stave 3_Converted.jpg
osage stave 3_Converted.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
osage stave 2_Converted.jpg
osage stave 2_Converted.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
osage stave 1_Converted.jpg
osage stave 1_Converted.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 3297 times

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#45 Post by greybeard » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:29 pm

Mick, that Osage billet appears to be quite good, pity about the freight charges.
Mick Smith wrote:My only reservation would be about the confort factor for my bow hand without a handle of any description.
Steve wrote:The bendy handle bows are surprisingly comfortable to shoot Mick so dont let the lack of handle put you off. Steve
Possibly you could incorporate a small handle similar to the one in my latest bow which is 61" n to n.
02 SN851401.JPG
02 SN851401.JPG (17.64 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

Mick Smith

#46 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Possibly you could incorporate a small handle similar to the one in my latest bow which is 61" n to n.
02 SN851401.JPG
Daryl.
That was the first thing I thought when I saw the photo of your latest bow. It's the sort of handle I'd go for, if I was going to have one at all. I haven't decided yet though. I just watched the Al Herrin video again and I liked the simplicity of his bow. I'll have lots of time to decide, as the stave hasn't been seasoned yet. This should give me heaps of time to study up first.

The shipping on the stave was $78, so all up, the price was quite reasonable, IMO. I told my wife that the stave was only $40, which is true. :biggrin:

longbow steve

#47 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:32 am

Nice looking stave Mick! I look forward to seeing the bow completed. Give me a yell if you need another. Cheers Steve

Mick Smith

#48 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:31 am

longbow steve wrote:Nice looking stave Mick! I look forward to seeing the bow completed. Give me a yell if you need another. Cheers Steve
Do you have some osage staves for sale Steve? Please tell me more ....

Speaking of which. What do you think would be a reasonable time to allow a stave to season? I have done some research which suggests that around 6 months would be the minimum.

longbow steve

#49 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Mick, seasoning- Yeah 6 months would be good, however you could rough it out immediately and re-seal the back and ends and that would speed up the drying.
I have plenty of short Indian style bow staves in osage, some Black Locust which is just as good apparently and is approached in the same fashion as Osage. I have Brigalow, Red Ash, Hickory Wattle. Most are dry ready to go. Prices will be around what you have just paid however.
I could probably source you longer Osage going forward. Cheers Steve