Bilaminate Bamboo Flooring Bow.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Bilaminate Bamboo Flooring Bow.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:50 am

A Proof of Concept - Bilaminate Bamboo Flooring Bow.

The bow was made by a friend of mine as a "Proof of Concept" piece.

A longbow made from two pieces of Bamboo Flooring.

The back of the bow is a piece of Vertical floor bamboo.

The belly of the bow is a piece of shredded and reconstituted bamboo.

The bow is relatively light - poundage mid 30s. It would be possible to increase the dimensions to gain poundage. I have shot several hundred arrows through it and whilst it has taken some set it is no worse than normal Bamboo Flooring and may be slightly better.

The reconstituted material appears to be of a higher density than Vertical Bamboo Flooring thus the bow performance may be down.

A different type of material for the back may give better results.

With the two different colours of the material the bow looks like a Heartwood/Sapwood selfbow from a distance.
Oz01.jpg
Oz01.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Bow at full draw.
oz02.jpg
oz02.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Back of the bow - the Vertical Flooring is light in colour.
oz03.jpg
oz03.jpg (23.25 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Side view of the bow showing the difference in colour of the two materials.
oz04.jpg
oz04.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Belly of the bow - shredded and reconstituted material.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

Re: Bilaminate Bamboo Flooring Bow.

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:42 am

That sort of bow should be very appealing to re-enactors I would think.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Goatchaser

#3 Post by Goatchaser » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 am

I have been looking into the urea formaldehyde glue used for bamboo flooring and after a bit of research I wouldn't use the bamboo flooring in my bows at all, it is not recommended for outdoor situations at all, due to it's inability to withstand moisture and changes in humidity levels and temps, better off for a climate controlled environment like in a house where it is designed for. IMO.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:19 am

GrahameA wrote:he bow was made by a friend of mine as Proof of Concept piece.
I don't know what your friend was trying to prove, maybe just that you can make a bow from it. It would seem from your post though that it doesn't make a very good bow at all. The bow appears to be very long, it has a light draw weight, yet it would seem to have quite a bit of string follow and lacks performance from what you have said?

Jeff

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:24 am

Goatchaser wrote:I have been looking into the urea formaldehyde glue used for bamboo flooring and after a bit of research I wouldn't use the bamboo flooring in my bows at all, it is not recommended for outdoor situations at all, due to it's inability to withstand moisture and changes in humidity levels and temps, better off for a climate controlled environment like in a house where it is designed for. IMO.
I would say there are thousands if not tens of thousands of glass composite bows made from Bamboo flooring (Action Boo) and I have never heard of the problems you are concerned about. Remember the bows do get sealed from the elements. I think most natural core materials would suffer similarly to the Bamboo flooring if the bows weren't sealed.

Jeff

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 am

Goatchaser wrote:I have been looking into the urea formaldehyde glue used for bamboo flooring and after a bit of research I wouldn't use the bamboo flooring in my bows at all, it is not recommended for outdoor situations at all, due to it's inability to withstand moisture and changes in humidity levels and temps, better off for a climate controlled environment like in a house where it is designed for. IMO.
Bamboo and Urea Formaldehyde have been used in bows for a long time. The bamboo is hygroscopic so will draw in moisture more so than a lot of timbers but that isn't of concern as the bow should be well sealed from the elements.
Grahame, the bow looks good. Cheers Steve

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 am

Firstly bamboo has been used for arrows and bows for a long time.
Secondly these are sealed by most and resealed if necessary otherwise they would get heavier being hygroscopic.

Houses are not climate controlled environments or as controlled as you would like to think.
I have measured the moisture content of numerous house components besides framing and flooring timbers and there is a great range of readings. I have done this for 38 years. Both the Pest and Building inspectors have done so for longer in Australia. There would be a few thousand people doing this 3 or 4 times a day. This is without considering inadequate subfloor drainage and cross ventilation nor rising damp nor inadequate moisture barriers/shields etc. Tyrell's Building Inspection Services reported that 75% of houses inspected had serious wood decay fungi attack and damage caused by excess moisture problems and that is not just in subfloors. 80% of new houses are slab on ground and the percentages have not changed over thirty years.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Goatchaser

#8 Post by Goatchaser » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:12 pm

If I could only use bamboo for bait on fish, :biggrin: :mrgreen:

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Goatchaser wrote:If I could only use bamboo for bait on fish, :biggrin: :mrgreen:
Hmmmmmm!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Jeff.

The bow is not overly long. It has been built to a known set of dimensions that will yeld a longbow that will shoot and accomodate draw lengths to 29"/30".

A month ago I would not have suggested that using the reconstituted bamboo would be any good. However, after some discussion and a few suggestion the bi-laminate was made. Given the end result I have suggested that a Mark II version be built.

Given the issues I have seen (and been posted on this forum) with people trying to make timber bows and having them break I am impressed by this one, considering what it was made from.

It is good to experiment with designs and materials to confirm what works and what does not.

Hi Kevin,

I did a bi-laminate bow for a person a month ago. It has the heartwood/sapwood look about it and the owner has been shooting it at some reenacting opportunities and it has attracted some favourable comments.

GC
If I could only use bamboo for bait on fish
You could if you turned it into lures.
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks for the added info Grahame. The bow looked well over 6ft long going by the photo hence my comment. Anyway it is good just seeing bows getting made.

Jeff

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 am

Morning Jeff.

Nah.

The bow is the height of the archer - which is few inches short for a Longbow - things are restricted to the length of a plank unless you start sawing planks up and then relaminating them.

Blame it as an illusion caused by the camera/photographer/model.

From my viewpoint whilst the materials that were used have some issues - and what wood doesn't - bamboo flooring (vertical, horizontal and now shredded/reconstituted) can be used to make bows that work. Due to their ease of availability are an easy first piece for many beginning bow makers to have a go at.
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 am

GrahameA wrote:From my viewpoint whilst the materials that were used have some issues - and what wood doesn't - bamboo flooring (vertical, horizontal and now shredded/reconstituted) can be used to make bows that work. Due to their ease of availability are an easy first piece for many beginning bow makers to have a go at.
That is good for sure.

Jeff

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 am

Morning All.

Just an update. It is still shooting.
Grahame.

Hamish

#15 Post by Hamish » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:46 am

Hi Grahame, Keep your ears peeled for any "tick" noises.
I hope it doesn't happen to you, but the majority of backings from bamboo lamelle that I have used, especially on narrow longbows, start to break down at the severed nodes after several hundred shots. Even then they can take a fair bit of shooting until they go. Most of these had ironbark bellies, which can be nasty when they break. I think a bamboo belly likely to be much safer. My wide bellied bows seemed to fair much better with a lamelle backing, even then I feel much safer for myself and the bow to use raw boo or hickory for the back. Good luck.
Hamish.