New recurve bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

New recurve bow

#1 Post by rodlonq » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Well not really, but it has moved from in my mind and onto the drawing board. I have been a bit slack lately and not contributed anything useful so I thought I could at least show something. Need to source same materials to make a form and then procrastinate for a month or two deciding on which block of wood to sacrifice for the prototype riser. This is the worst part for me - too scared to use something really good in case it turns out a dud, and too scared to use a piece of crappy wood in case it turns out a good thing......

Anyways.... if anyone can see any obvious flaws I would surely like to know about them.

The bow is 58" along the back (the blank shown is 60") and the string grooves are an inch forward of the back of the grip. The riser is 19" long with 17 degrees of deflex. I am going to try to make a 50#@28" bow to start with, I would be happy to hear suggestions for core thickness (0.040 glass for the prototype).....anyone?
Lowbowz58RC.png
Lowbowz58RC.png (55.21 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
Lowbowz58RC-2.png
Lowbowz58RC-2.png (36.22 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
Cheers..... Rod
Last edited by rodlonq on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gringa Bows

Re: New recurve bow

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I like the shape mate,how many lams are you using in the core?

Jim

#3 Post by Jim » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 am

Looks like it will be beautiful Rod. Damn you and your talent :wink:
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks Rod. I was thinking two vertical boo lams, a parallel lam at the back and a 0.0015inch/inch taper at the belly. Thats with coloured glass. When I get the guts to make one with clear glass I have some nice exotic veneers (0.024" thick) to go under the glass.

Thanks Jim :smile:

Flatliner

#5 Post by Flatliner » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Hey Rod How's it going? Good to see you're still at it mate. Can't see anything to fault in your design, looks the goods to me. One thing I would suggest is when you make your form, flatten the area where your nock tips will be, makes for easier fitting and gluing of your overlays.
Oh and another thing I would suggest is do a build-along of your form build, I've been asked by several people to do one but don't have plans to make another form for a while :smile: :wink: :wink: .

As far as core thickness is concerned, my raptor is 58"s long and to get 50# @28"s the core is 0.129" and parallel, using 2 opposing tapers and a parallel veneer with 0.040" glass on the back and 0.050 glass on the belly.
Total limb thickness including glass is 0.219".

Don't know if that helps but it is some kind of reference I guess.

Cheers, Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

rodlonq

#6 Post by rodlonq » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Going good thanks Rob. Thanks for the tips mate, I have the last 1.5" of the limb straight for the tip overlays, good call I reckon. I also have about 5" of straight area at the transition from the deflex at the back of the riser into the reflex of the limb. This is so I can use the same form to make take-down limbs with a spacer in the riser area between the limbs to keep the heat strips from kinking.

I will try to remember to take a lot of photos for a build-along on the form.

I have read about your opposing tapers before.... intriguing.... why not just parallels? I only have 0.050 clear glass (and a couple of 0.040 coloured glass strips for the prototype) so that is what I am stuck with for now.

Looks like I might be close to the right stack. I calculated 0.150" core (at mid-limb) with 0.040" glass on back and belly (total stack = 0.230"). My riser is 19" (overall in a straight line, not along the back), how long is yours?

I made most of my overall design decisions by looking at photos of older recurves and in particular Mr Bear's Grizzly. It seems a simple design that evidently works well, the design being unchanged for almost 50 years. This simplicity is something I value given the limited spare time I get these days. I would like to see one first hand but at least I can say that I haven't blatantly copied it. I would like to know if the Grizzly has a parallel or tapered core though (fellas??? :mrgreen: ).

Cheers..... Rod

Goatchaser

#7 Post by Goatchaser » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm by far an expert, but from all my reading lately it looks and sounds the goods to me. Can't wait to see #1 off the form.

andy80

#8 Post by andy80 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Looks great Rod, Hope it works out well. All them measurements are way over my head. I take my hat off to all you bowyers. :wink:

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 am

really looking forward to the outcome Rod. The layout certainly looks great.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Flatliner

#10 Post by Flatliner » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:18 pm

rodlonq wrote:Looks like I might be close to the right stack. I calculated 0.150" core (at mid-limb) with 0.040" glass on back and belly (total stack = 0.230"). My riser is 19" (overall in a straight line, not along the back), how long is yours?
Hey Rod, this is where the comparison gets a little blurry. The actual riser on the Raptor is only 15 1/4"s but then I have finely tapered wedges glued onto that, so if you measure from fade to fade it's 23 1/2"s. The wedges are very thin and active all the way to the point where they meet the fades of the riser.
If it was me I would tend to drop you core thickness to around 0.140" -0.145", cause it would suck if you end up with a bow that's too heavy to draw, but if it comes out a bit lite in the draw weight department you can still shoot it.
Have a look at the build-along of the Raptor if I've confused you.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13731

I'm pretty sure the explanation for using opposing tapers is in there too.

Cheers, Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi Rod,

The limb profile of your proposed bow is a little different to the recurve bows that I have been making.

My particular form was derived from an early 70’s Black Widow H/D 58” takedown.

For what it is worth the specifications for the takedown bow is as follows;

Length; 62” n to n.

Draw weight 43# @ 26 ½” plpp.

Distance between fades; 25 ½”.

Upper and lower working limb lengths; 12 ¾”.

Limbs; two vertical bamboo laminations between .040 uls glass; total thickness .220”.

The recurved ends of the limbs have been stiffened with a 6 ½” tapered insert.

The bows [one piece and takedown] used to obtain the test results below were made using the same form. Timber arrows weighing 502 grains were used in the test.
001 Bow Test.jpg
001 Bow Test.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:39 am

Hi Rod, that shape looks very similar to my old Ben Pearson Mustang. I also have a form that is pretty close to what you are designing.
Cheers Steve

hunterguy1991

#13 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:50 am

Gday Rod,

Been having a read of this post as I would eventually like to make some one piece recurves down the track ( along way down tho haha).

You mentioned that your design came from looking at a Fred Bear Grizzly. A mate of mine recently bought himself one (very new model) and its a great bow. The limb design however is something i'd never seen before. Its extremely simple actually compared to an old hoyt pro hunter I have.

The Hoyt has a core lam running both down the back and belly of the riser. ie, there is 2 laminations and they split at the tip of the fade out, one going over the back and one over the belly of the riser...

The grizzly is odd in that is has one core lamination (quite thick compared to the hoyt and from what I can see a constant thickness the length of the limb) between black glass and only runs along the belly once it reaches the fade (only black glass over the back of the riser)..

Will try to get pictures of sketches of what I mean to better understand it.

May help to get a different effect and look as well as simplify core lams in your design should you want to have a go at making one like this.

Straight shooting,

Colin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by greybeard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Rod,

When I contemplate bow design changes I think of the following words written by Elmont Bingham.

Daryl.

Bow Design
"It is of great concern to me that some prospective first-time bowyers want to revolutionize archery design. It seems to be human nature to feel that your own design will bring about superior performance and artistic design immediately. Personal pride in one’s own handiwork is notable, but remember that experimentation is usually a slow, painful, and often expensive process. Sometimes a change in recurve design can cause limb twist, weight change, and a lessening in performance. You will notice that, in a general sense, the limb design is very similar throughout the archery industry. Often bows from various manufacturers will appear different because the riser section (handle) may vary in design, shape, or colour of material."
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Goatchaser

#15 Post by Goatchaser » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:45 pm

I read this statement and then went for it, :mrgreen: couldn't be happier with the results, I found with enough research there is a basic equation when it comes to any one of these changes to a bows design, taking this into account I fell within 3# of my desired weight, it's not so much that I wanted to revolutionize the industry, just want to be able to say it is my design as well as my work. :wink:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by greybeard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Goatchaser wrote:I read this statement and then went for it, :mrgreen: couldn't be happier with the results, I found with enough research there is a basic equation when it comes to any one of these changes to a bows design, taking this into account I fell within 3# of my desired weight, it's not so much that I wanted to revolutionize the industry, just want to be able to say it is my design as well as my work. :wink:
It is good that you got close to your desired draw weight but the journey does not finish there.

To prove that your design works you need to gather the relevant data so you can evaluate the bows efficiency.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Goatchaser

#17 Post by Goatchaser » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:55 pm

yep, graph is up for number one, order arrives for two, three and four tomorrow, (different timbers, draw weights and lengths) and a chrono will be on the list after the next three are built, :wink:

rodlonq

#18 Post by rodlonq » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Daryl,

There are some very interesting figures there. The most prominent being that even though the one piece bow has more stored energy than the takedown, it lags in arrow speed. I find myself wondering why.... :roll:

Perhaps there is something in the value of energy stored relative to position, i.e. the one piece obviously has some extra energy stored in the first 5/8" of draw before the takedown even begins to draw. This must follow on for every inch thereafter. If both bows started with the same brace height, would there be such a difference in the stored energy?

Does the one piece also have tip wedges to reduce the working length of the limbs? I am as yet unsure about using tip wedges as I know nothing about them. Do they simply keep the recurve tight so the string stays against the belly all the way to full draw?

Interestingly my plan for a takedown from the same form will have 25 1/2" from fade to fade as well.

Hi Steve,

I think there are a lot of bows from that era that are fairly similar in design. What interests me about the Grizzly is mainly that a huge company like Bear has not seen the need to change the design for nearly 50 years and the bow still has it's place on the shelf. Being my first recurve I am sort of looking at it like purchasing my first bow. The Grizzly is referred to as the working man's recurve because it's price is so low ($340 at Cabela's in the US). This also drew me to it.

Hi Col,

Thanks for the feedback from seeing a Grizzly first hand. I must say that what you describe does not ring any bells for me. I was of the mind that if I could get a close look at a Grizzly I would even take some measurements and try to make a true to form replica (I have no intention of selling them, just for the lads and myself). However after your comments I have had a change of mind. It is obvious the Grizzly is built to a price because other similar bows in the range cost significantly more. I never thought it would take the form you describe. In my opinion I always would like to see the fadeouts of a one piece riser or takedown limb being precisely on the neutral plane. I believe such a fragile feature should be neither in tension nor compression. Of the two I would pick compression and certainly stay away from tension, it is just asking for a failure to propagate from there. Having the riser fade immediately under the glass at the back of the bow with a thick lamination on the belly side would certainly place the fade tip in tension. Obviously it is not a big problem for Bear archery or they would have changed it by now. It is just something that goes against my intuition (zero bowyer experience but 15 years as a mechanical engineer). I will be using two laminations and the thickness will be approximately equal at the fadeout to keep it on the neutral plane.

Hi again Daryl,

I have read that passage somewhere before and most of it rings very true (particularly about smartar$e first timers thinking they can do better :lol: ) There is a lot of merit in not re-inventing the wheel as I indicated previously, I would like to replicate Mr Bear's Grizzly, simply because it appeals to me.

The bit about change does not really have a lot of meaning to "first time bowyers" because they have never done anything before to change. In my case I don't even have a good, bad or indifferent bow to copy, let alone try to improve on. Perhaps the passage relates to those using Bingham's kits, blueprints and instructions for their first recurve.

The other point is about limb design being very similar throughout the industry. In my opinion one would have to be very creative to produce a change that has not already been done and posted by some keen bowyer. In fact I think that at least in the realm of natural materials, there is no scope to revolutionise archery design because it has all been done before. I think the only room left for change is in detail design (aesthetics) which is something I appreciate but don't have great skill for. I am simply wanting to make examples of as many different types of bows as I can, primarily so I can take them out and successfully harvest game.

Top level performance is again something I admire but I am not going to miss a lot of hunting trips to get it. I have bought a chrony so I can experiment to some degree because I will be making at least 3 or 4 of each style of bow (my sons will want to use them too I hope). I will be stuck with the prototypes and the boys will get the pretty ones.

The thing I am looking forward to the most is actually harvesting some staves and making a few useful self bows. Just need to find a good place to get them.

Hi Sean,

Man you didn't muck around for your first D/R bow, mate that bow looks good. I have a D/R form of similar style to yours.

Cheers All, thanks for your input........ Rod

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi Rod,

Hopefully the following photographs may shed some light on the variation in performance values.

Limb profiles are similar to the Black Widow. Notice the difference in mid limb and tip positions in relation to the pivot point.

For a given draw length the limb tips will be in a different position in relation to the pivot point.
001 Pivot PointBlack Widow.jpg
001 Pivot PointBlack Widow.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
002 Pivot Point .jpg
002 Pivot Point .jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
003 Pivot Point One Piece And Takedown.jpg
003 Pivot Point One Piece And Takedown.jpg (112.64 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
The stiffened tips do open towards the end of the draw and allow the bow to be drawn to 32" without inducing stack.
004 Unbraced Stiffend Tip.jpg
004 Unbraced Stiffend Tip.jpg (180.55 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
005 Braced Stiffened Tip.jpg
005 Braced Stiffened Tip.jpg (91.38 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

GrahameA

#20 Post by GrahameA » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi All.

A couple of comments.
rodlonq wrote:There are some very interesting figures there. The most prominent being that even though the one piece bow has more stored energy than the takedown, it lags in arrow speed. I find myself wondering why.... :roll:
It is due to differences in "Bow Efficiency".
rodlonq wrote:The other point is about limb design being very similar throughout the industry. In my opinion one would have to be very creative to produce a change that has not already been done and posted by some keen bowyer. In fact I think that at least in the realm of natural materials, there is no scope to revolutionise archery design because it has all been done before. I think the only room left for change is in detail design (aesthetics) which is something I appreciate but don't have great skill for. I am simply wanting to make examples of as many different types of bows as I can, primarily so I can take them out and successfully harvest game.
Not so. Look at the work of O.L.Adcock and in particular he and his wifes domination of recent Flight Records. He determined a better design for limb profiles and then went and Patented it so other commercial manufacturers could not use it.

http://www.acsbows.com/flightshootingrecords.html

A point to note is what do you want from your design? For me I want a "stable" shooting platform and to get that I am willing to sacrifice "performance". Most things to do with bows appear to be tradeoffs - to gain one characteristic you trade off something else. From a design viewpoint you should specify you desired outcomes and the method by which they are to be measured before you design/modify a bow.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:15 pm

GrahameA wrote:Look at the work of O.L.Adcock and in particular he and his wifes domination of recent Flight Records.
Yeah, longbow records that were shot with recurves. :lol:

Jeff

rodlonq

#22 Post by rodlonq » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 am

Hi Daryl,

Great food for thought there. The red line through the pivot point certainly shows up a lot of the more subtle differences in bow designs. I understand what you mean about the limb tip position in relation to the pivot point. Is this more important than the limb shape (side profile)? The bow with tips further forward may have higher early weight but may it stack earlier too? As Graham says, it is all a game of trade-offs. Thank you for posting the pictures, it is good to see pictures that show the side profile well. Many photos on the web (from manufacturers) seem to be purposely taken to hide any detail and just show of features like overlays or pretty veneers.

I have taken your lead and used the red line to compare my computer model with a (not so clear) side on shot of a Grizzly. It definitely shows that there is a lot of difference in the details, however when considering the broad range of bow designs out there, it is quite similar in the big picture. I note the main difference between this and your bows based on the Black Widow is that the Widow has a lot less curvature mid-limb than the Grizzly. It is all fine to notice this but I have no idea what effect this has on bow performance. Does the straighter working limb give more speed at there sacrifice of stability, is it less prone to twist? Perhaps it enhances all aspects of shoot ability? Those and many more questions I cant answer due to lack of experience and even after extensive reading, specifics on such matters are not clear.
FBGrizzly Lowbowz58RC2.png
FBGrizzly Lowbowz58RC2.png (76.15 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
Thank you for your comments. I am looking forward to starting somewhere. My main point in my last post was about changes. I cant make any changes until I have at least made the first one. The trick seems to be what design to make first :roll:

Cheers..... Rod

rodlonq

#23 Post by rodlonq » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 am

Hello Grahame
GrahameA wrote:Hi All.

A couple of comments.
rodlonq wrote:There are some very interesting figures there. The most prominent being that even though the one piece bow has more stored energy than the takedown, it lags in arrow speed. I find myself wondering why.... :roll:
It is due to differences in "Bow Efficiency".
Yes, I have read a lot of yours and Daryl's posts regarding bow efficiency and I believe you are correct. I was wondering a little deeper into what aspects of the design make one bow more efficient than the other. Sorry for not being more clear.
GrahameA wrote:
rodlonq wrote:The other point is about limb design being very similar throughout the industry. In my opinion one would have to be very creative to produce a change that has not already been done and posted by some keen bowyer. In fact I think that at least in the realm of natural materials, there is no scope to revolutionise archery design because it has all been done before. I think the only room left for change is in detail design (aesthetics) which is something I appreciate but don't have great skill for. I am simply wanting to make examples of as many different types of bows as I can, primarily so I can take them out and successfully harvest game.

Not so. Look at the work of O.L.Adcock and in particular he and his wifes domination of recent Flight Records. He determined a better design for limb profiles and then went and Patented it so other commercial manufacturers could not use it.
Which bit is "Not so"? Yes, Mr Adcock has been very creative and has a clever design that appears to have made significant gains in performance. My point is, it has been done. It is not out there undiscovered - patented or not. If you could produce an example of something that hasn't been done (something useful) then I will concede what I have written is "not so". If you go back over the thread you will find it was Mr Bingham that said limb design is very similar throughout industry. I was pointing out that I don't agree with that opinion.
GrahameA wrote: http://www.acsbows.com/flightshootingrecords.html

A point to note is what do you want from your design? For me I want a "stable" shooting platform and to get that I am willing to sacrifice "performance". Most things to do with bows appear to be tradeoffs - to gain one characteristic you trade off something else. From a design viewpoint you should specify you desired outcomes and the method by which they are to be measured before you design/modify a bow.
I want what every bow maker wants, great performance from a super stable shooting platform. That doesn't mean I am going to get it as you so rightly pointed out, there are trade-offs. As far as specifying outcomes, that is why I am here and why I posted a question in the first place, to try and determine a means to reach my goal of replicating a particular bow. My biggest problem is not knowing what design features are desirable and how they affect performance. It seems the more I read the more conflicting opinions I have read. It appears the only way to find out what works it to try it. Unfortunately I don't have time to do a factorial of experiments so I will probably go hunting with my first prototype.

As far as measurements go, I have a bow scale and a chronograph so I can take measurements that more righteous individuals will say are useless because I don't have a shooting machine. The bow's efficiency in my hands is more important to me as I am not trying to sell it to anyone, just wanting to compare design changes if I get that far. If I were to quote figures for a sales brochure I agree a shooting machine is needed. I have the mathematical capability to calculate bow efficiency based on those measurements. I don't have enough experience to give an opinion on shootability because I have not shot a recurve since I was a kid, and anyway I will be subject to bias because my first impression of my first bow will probably be overshadowed by joy as long as it doesn't blow up in my face. If I can take it into the bush and successfully harvest some game with it I will be very happy. After that I will probably make one each for my sons and then move onto a different type of bow altogether. Maybe an asiatic style or a trilam ELB.

Thank you for your input Grahame, you have given me a lot to think about.

Cheers....... Rod

GrahameA

#24 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi Rod.

Hopefully some answers.
rodlonq wrote:I was wondering a little deeper into what aspects of the design make one bow more efficient than the other.
Bow efficiency is related to a number of factors. As an example as you make the mass of the limbs then the bow will shoot faster and the bow efficiency will go up. As you change the amount of aerodynamic drag on the limbs the efficiency will go up or down. As you change the mass of the arrows the efficiency will change. So one can change the bow efficiency by change the drag caused by the bow string.
rodlonq wrote: Which bit is "Not so"?

Adcock made a limb that was/is lighter for the same draw weight. Anyone who understood what was being done could have done it. Yet, like most innovations, no one did until Adcock did. There are probably other innovations out there but we do not know what they are as we have not "discovered" them yet.
rodlonq wrote: I want what every bow maker wants, great performance from a super stable shooting platform. That doesn't mean I am going to get it as you so rightly pointed out, there are trade-offs. As far as specifying outcomes, that is why I am here and why I posted a question in the first place, to try and determine a means to reach my goal of replicating a particular bow. My biggest problem is not knowing what design features are desirable and how they affect performance. It seems the more I read the more conflicting opinions I have read.
The better approach it is to look at it from a physics viewpoint. I always suggest that people who want to understand bows more look at the work of Hickman and the work of Klopsteg. To that I would now add the work of Jim Park.
rodlonq wrote:As far as measurements go, I have a bow scale and a chronograph so I can take measurements that more righteous individuals will say are useless because I don't have a shooting machine.
Do you need anything more? Daryl and I have shown on several occasions that a competent archer can produce repeatable arrow velocities that are within +/- 1.25 %. If we assume the numbers are a normal distribution and apply a bit of statistics to the numbers the values are even closer.

Going off on a slight tangent commercially produced bow are dictated to a large extent by cost - ie what the buyer is willing to pay. More exotic designs require a larger input of labour which is the single highest cost in the production process. Thus I would suggest that bow manufacturers tend to stay with products that have a minimal labour input for a given performance output and extremely low failure rate. If a person wants to make something 'different' as long as they have the skills they can as essentially since they are doing things for themself the labour cost component is zero.

Hopefully the above will be of some help.
Last edited by GrahameA on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hunterguy1991

#25 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 am

G'day Rod,

Sorry I didnt get this up earlier, my mate with the Bear Grizzly has move to NSW for work and i havent been able to catch up with him to get a decent picture of his bow.

I managed to find this picture that shows what I mean though.
Bear Grizzly Paint 2.png
Bear Grizzly Paint 2.png (187.94 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
You can clearly see the core lam (maple I think) which only runs along the belly of the riser... The back of the riser is just black glass.

Something You might be able to experiment with down the track.

would like to get some of the more experienced guys opinions on this as well, just out of interest.

Straight Shooting,

Col

Goatchaser

#26 Post by Goatchaser » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:57 am

There are quite a few grizzly's on ebay in the states and looking at them they all have back and belly cores.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BEAR-GRIZZLY ... 5d44240925

GrahameA

#27 Post by GrahameA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi All.
GrahameA wrote:... Daryl and I have shown on several occasions that a competent archer can produce repeatable arrow velocities that are within +/- 1.25 %. ...
An old post that may interest some. http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8900
Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#28 Post by greybeard » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Rod,

When comparing your design to the Bear Grizzly I believe there will be little difference in performance values. If you are prepared to sacrifice some time and money run with your computer model.

Bear are still using hard maple as a core material which could yield different performance values when compared to vertical bamboo.

From my experience I have found that the greater the distance from the pivot point to the string nocks in the unbraced bow the more ‘twitchy’ the bow becomes.

Of the three recurves tested I would rate the Black Widow as more ‘stable’ followed by the one piece recurve and lastly the take down. Although the take down performs well the archer will be punished if his/her form lapses.

If you compare the values in the following chart there is not a big difference in the efficiency values between the bows.

As a point of interest the last set of figures are for a lightly reflexed longbow.

Arrows used in the recurve test were 11.67 grains per pound of draw weight and 11.79 grains per pound of draw weight for the longbow.
Velocity And Bow Efficiency.jpg
Velocity And Bow Efficiency.jpg (175.4 KiB) Viewed 6945 times
Industry standards appear to be around 90% efficiency but I do not know what parameters they use to obtain the results i.e. arrow mass, minimum strands in string, shooting machine etc.

I believe that the commercial manufacturers could produce a higher performing bow at a reasonable price but sales would probably suffer because the ‘average archer’ could not successfully handle the bow.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

GrahameA

#29 Post by GrahameA » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:22 am

Morning Rod.
rodlonq wrote:... In my opinion one would have to be very creative to produce a change that has not already been done and posted by some keen bowyer. ...
Just something to think about and is included here as a sidebar just to be something think about.

This bow was built by Sid from Border Bows and is a nice example of something different. I have not seen an others like it however it does bear a resemblance to many Flight bows.

Grahame.

Goatchaser

#30 Post by Goatchaser » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:09 am

amazing what you can do with some take down limbs and a meccano set. :biggrin: