Are these cracks?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Tom Alker

Are these cracks?

#1 Post by Tom Alker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Hey guys, the stave i was using to make the bow was covered in paint, i was just starting to scrape it off and right under it i found this black worm looking crack thing, What is it? there's two.

Perpetual Curiosity.

perry

Re: Are these cracks?

#2 Post by perry » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Got me buggered Tom, that is the surface immediately under the Bark so I doubt it's a Sap Vein, definetly not a Grub attack, maybe a mark from the Bulldozer that knocked the Tree over, perhaps a fault in the timber known as a Shake -I really doubt that. I'll have a look on Saturday if you want to come over and do some more Tillering. No Drama' if it's something Nasty, we can bind the Stave at that spot with some Rawhide or back the Stave with Jute Webbing, I have a roll sitting here.

One of the reasons why I only paint the cut ends of a Stave with PVA when I cut one, saves surprises

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Roadie

#3 Post by Roadie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Nah it's only the X Factor. Cheers Roadie.

Tom Alker

#4 Post by Tom Alker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:30 pm

sweet as perry, removed most of the paint using 280 grit, took ages but i didnt want to risk taking any timber off the back. the marks appear to be visual and not physical cracks - I feel no high points or drops - It's odd. :roll: :?:

thanks
Perpetual Curiosity.

Tom Alker

#5 Post by Tom Alker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:31 pm

:lol: roadie
Perpetual Curiosity.

Hamish

#6 Post by Hamish » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi Tom, I've seen them in ironbark, just visual. I don't think there is anything to be worried about, as you said you cant feel any cracks.