the latest creation(!) from R.A.G Leatherworks

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

the latest creation(!) from R.A.G Leatherworks

#1 Post by Fanto » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 pm

gday,

made this sheath for my fiskars axe. I hate the look of this axe, but its the best hatchet ive ever used. the teflon helps it sail through the stickiest redgum. which is a hard, hard wood. better than wetterlings and gransfors for the hardwood, because of the teflon. the steel is just as good and the handle is in a class of its own. especially in its ugliness!

anyway, it greatly increases the appeal of this axe to my traditionally orientated palate.

R.A.G - Rough as Guts leatherworks...
Attachments
image-8.jpeg
image-8.jpeg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 975 times
image-9.jpeg
image-9.jpeg (87.6 KiB) Viewed 975 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (87.96 KiB) Viewed 975 times
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

perry

Re: the latest creation(!) from R.A.G Leatherworks

#2 Post by perry » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:31 am

Fanto I'm with you on Hawks and Hatchets, the Modern stuff just does not hold any "Classic" appeal at all. That said, they work well as you say, Function over Form! I just bought my second Cold Steel Tomahawk, the first was the Frontier model. The latest a Trail Hawk, love the classic Lines and it works good enough, just wish they would not paint the Heads!!

Good effort on the Sheath also, sometimes RAG just plain works, -Function over Form - looks like it has a Welt and you used nice solid Leather so all the essential bits are there

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks jacko, cold steel make some interesting products like the replica sword machetes. I've always wondered if they were any good, I guess the answer is yes.

I saw how tj did his welts in the build along he posted as I did the same, and tapered up to double thickness welt to accommodate the axe. I'm proud of that bit at least!

It's a good site this!
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:04 pm

It looks good to me. :biggrin:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Looks good :biggrin: