Making My Longbow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Tom Alker

Re: Making My Longbow

#61 Post by Tom Alker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Some pics of the centershot string angle. Is there a term for when this happens? most bows i see have the string in the center but this one sits the string closer to the edge of the bow.

Perpetual Curiosity.

GrahameA

#62 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:29 am

Morning.
Tom Alker wrote:... the centershot string angle. Is there a term for when this happens? . ...
String Alignment. Your recurve is adjustable to stop it from being present.

Either the bow is not straight or the string is pulling to one side (ie one side of the bow is stiffer/stronger than the other. If the bow is not straight then you could bend it back if it is only a small amount. If the string is pulling to one side you could sand away a little from the stiff side. Or given how little it is you could just shoot the bow the way it is and keep and eye in case it worsens - which it may not. In built Centreshot
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#63 Post by greybeard » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:34 am

Tom,

Check to see if the string grooves are symmetrical, particularly in their depth if not this could cause the string to pull to one side.

Daryl
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Tom Alker

#64 Post by Tom Alker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:14 am

GrahameA wrote: Either the bow is not straight or the string is pulling to one side (ie one side of the bow is stiffer/stronger than the other. If the bow is not straight then you could bend it back if it is only a small amount. If the string is pulling to one side you could sand away a little from the stiff side. Or given how little it is you could just shoot the bow the way it is and keep and eye in case it worsens - which it may not. In built Centreshot
Wow interesting, It may be due to the small twist in the bow. Its very slight bit it seems to be the culprit, Either that or its the string grooves like Greybeard suggested. Gonna take a look at it this afternoon and see what i can figure out. Does having this string alignment how it is damage the bow or cause additional wear and tear?

Thanks.
Perpetual Curiosity.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#65 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 am

Tom Alker wrote:One thing that is truly amazing about this bow is how center shot it is. The string is absolutely perfectly inline with the arrow pass perry and i marked down. When perry was first explaining it to me i couldn't understand what he meant but my god, i do now haha.
Tom,

I wouldn't mess with anything until you speak to Perry as going by your comments above Perry saw the bend in the stave and knew the string wouldn't track down the centre of the bow. Having a string tracking a little off centre is quite common with self bows and often is not a problem at all.

Jeff

perry

#66 Post by perry » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 pm

I have not had a chance to help Tom at all since Gary and I got back from our Victorian Trad Tour way back in September. Just off the phone, Tom phoned me and gave a heads up he had jumped in and finished the Bow.

There is a few things as the others have pointed out Tom I'd like to see in person as it is difficult to get a real good look from those Vids and Pics as the Stave does have a pronounced propeller and it does snake slightly which is why we positioned the Arrow Pass where it is.

I kept telling Tom that only White Fella's worry about Steaming out bends twists and propellers, live with what the Stave throws at you and work with it.

I reckon you should feel proud of yourself Tom you listened you asked questions and you learnt. I really wish I had not of had the Drama's of the past few months as I could have guided you to shooting that first Arrow from it months ago.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin