How to "Chop" Out a Bow - The Abbey 2013.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

How to "Chop" Out a Bow - The Abbey 2013.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi Everyone.

On the weekend Perry was in action building a bow using traditional methods and entertaining a crowd of onlookers.
Img_9256.jpg
Img_9256.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
There was a constant stream of people watching.

People could ask how his voice is after non-stop chatting for two days.

And we had a few Archers shooting the comp.
Img_9237.jpg
Img_9237.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
p.s. if you want to win then the new mark is target archery at 40m in front of a thousand people and a couple of people commentating on the P.A.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: How to Chop Out a Bow.

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:04 pm

That's a great photo of Perry Grahame.

Jeff

otis.drum

#3 Post by otis.drum » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:53 pm

what kind of wood is that Perry/Grahame?

is it green or seasoned?
...otis...

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Otis
otis.drum wrote:what kind of wood is that Perry/Grahame?

is it green or seasoned?
My best guess is that it is "Red Ash". Send Perry a PM for all details.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

perry

Re: How to "Chop" Out a Bow - The Abbey 2013.

#5 Post by perry » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Yet to see a good Photo of me - ever :mrgreen: Gazza says the older we get the better we were - well in my Case, the better looking I was :lol:

That Stave is Pink Ash. Lots of it growing in this district. I really enjoyed the Abbey over the Weekend, did not get anything like as far as I hoped with that Stave. I barely got it to Floor Tiller Stage. Plan was to get it to Floor Tiller then Tiller Out another Stave I had prepared earlier so that People could see the process evolve.

I also hoped to at least get that other Stave Tillered to brace Height, make a Rawhide String and perhps Plane out an Arrow Shaft or 2. I doubt I got to Whittle away for more than 2 Minutes at the longest, often only a few seconds before I was asked Questions. Lots of Kids asked some quite inciteful questions, handed out my Phone Number to some keen young budding Archers - really enjoyed the weekend.

Like Grahame said, 2 days of constant answering Questions and talking about Archery History and associated Skills. Work was not a good look on Monday - I was wasted !!! Shoulda pulled a Sickie !

Here's a couple more Pics my Mrs took
Medieval Festival 2013 002.JPG
Medieval Festival 2013 002.JPG (196.69 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG (190.08 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
Medieval Festival 2013 003.JPG
Medieval Festival 2013 003.JPG (194.46 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Tools used to cut the Tree and over the weekend where, Tomahawk, Adze, Farriers Rasp, Knife and a Cabinet Scraper, all the tool kit any Selfbow maker needs

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

otis.drum

#6 Post by otis.drum » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:19 am

Jacko, did you make that knife hanging off your belt too?
...otis...

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Perry.
perry wrote:... Like Grahame said, 2 days of constant answering Questions and talking about Archery History and associated Skills. Work was not a good look on Monday - I was wasted !!!
Crikey! Think what you would have been like if we had not brought some shade and there had been no Haybales to sit on.
Grahame.

perry

#8 Post by perry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Grahame, It was very much appreciated and really added to the ambience of the Archery Stall. A great asset for next Year !

I did bring that Chest to secure items and to sit on so the Stool was a bonus, much appreciated again. I was very happy to help you fine Folks out and hope I was a benefit to the Archery Stall. I have plans to make some pre Medieval Trekking Gear, Wooden Frame Pack, Canvas Tarp etc so I can Camp on Site next Year. The Historic Trekking Gear's primary use is for overnight Hunts in Summer down Tenterfield way on a Property I Hunt on so another chance to use it will be Jumped on

Otis, I guess you could say I made the Knife . It was an old Buffalo Skinner Style Knife that had been dropped in a Mincer at an Meatworks. I dragged it out of a Bin with a big chip broken out of the Blade and the plastic Handle nearly broken off. I ground a full length Tang, shortened the upswept Blade some, fitted the Antler Handle by soaking it in water for several weeks then pushing and hammering the Handle into Place as in the Traditional Manor of Hafting Antler Handles and finally Carved the design into the Antler. I made the Sheath a while back with the Abbey in mind
P1130053.JPG
P1130053.JPG (191.69 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

otis.drum

#9 Post by otis.drum » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:52 am

Recycled!
...otis...

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 pm

great stuff Perry. Great to see you doing your bit to advance trad archery and enlighten 'Joe Public'!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com