Bow No 1

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

scuzz

Bow No 1

#1 Post by scuzz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:39 am

I was putting yet another coat of wax on my first bow, so i took a few photos to send to a friend. So now i thought i would post them on here for you guys.
Yes it seems like a horrible photo now that i look at it. But it does show the R/D profile.
Yes it seems like a horrible photo now that i look at it. But it does show the R/D profile.
IMG100.jpg (106.95 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
An attempt to convince me to use coloured glass fell on deaf ears :mrgreen:
Quarter sawn red tulip oak, under clear glass
Quarter sawn red tulip oak, under clear glass
IMG099.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
Its going to be a bit of a shame to put leather over this handle but it is a preference of mine.
Laminated handle  Purple heart/osage/maple
Laminated handle Purple heart/osage/maple
IMG098.jpg (78.96 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
Scuzz

Fraser

Re: Bow No 1

#2 Post by Fraser » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 am

Nice bow Scuzz, that handle's to pretty for a leather grip, give it a run with out a grip and see how you go.

Fraser.

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am

Great bow Scuzz!. I wouldn't use a leather grip either. The handle is about the only place to show your workmanship and it seems wrong to cover it with leather.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 am

Congrats on making such a great looking first bow. By the way it is deflex/reflex in design if it is right handed and not reflex/deflex as you have said. :biggrin: Like you, I too like the handle wrapped in leather mate so go with what you like.

Jeff

Macca

#5 Post by Macca » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Good job Scuzz , what are the specs? I like the grip not sure about a leather overlay but that's why each is a custom build , so why not,

Cheers Macca

scuzz

#6 Post by scuzz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Deflex/reflex, well i have learnt something Jeff :razz:

Its 54lb at 28", 66" ntn

Thanks for the kind words guys. Im hoping uni holidays come fast as im itching to get back out and make another!! :surprised:

Scuzz

Gilly

#7 Post by Gilly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Looks great Scuzz, well done!

little arrows

#8 Post by little arrows » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm

well done Scuzz, love the honey colour and I especially like your bow tip "protector" :biggrin: It is going to be a pity to cover your handy work, however part of it will still be seen.

cheers
sue

lanky

#9 Post by lanky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Looks real nice!!, and I agree, no leather!
Wherever you go......there you are!

scuzz

#10 Post by scuzz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks again, im very happy with how it turned out. I had a great teacher who doesnt take 'rough' as an option.

Im a little more comfortable with a leather grip, comfort before looks :shock: haha

Scuzz

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 pm

scuzz wrote:Thanks again, im very happy with how it turned out. I had a great teacher who doesnt take 'rough' as an option.
Would you mind telling a little about how you got to make your own bow? It's always great seeing people crafting their own equipment.

Jeff

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:59 am

Looks fantastic Scuzz. Do you have the belly glass running completely over the handle? Your bow does look familiar :smile: Would have been fun working with such a good bowyer. Cheers Steve
102_1837.JPG
102_1837.JPG (97.23 KiB) Viewed 4629 times

scuzz

#13 Post by scuzz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:38 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
scuzz wrote:Thanks again, im very happy with how it turned out. I had a great teacher who doesnt take 'rough' as an option.
Would you mind telling a little about how you got to make your own bow? It's always great seeing people crafting their own equipment.

Jeff
Sure Jeff. It starts with asking a bowyer from your club. I was offered this to me some time ago and i think in my teenage years i lacked motivation :oops:

But to be honest, most bowyers are happy to pass on their skills and jump at such opportunities.

Apart from that, its being dedicated to learning, and i think a love for the sport. I doubt you could make bows without a love of shooting them. I know I spent a couple of weeks watching Alan make a couple of bows, before i started my own.

I think in the end, dedication is Key.
longbow steve wrote:Looks fantastic Scuzz. Do you have the belly glass running completely over the handle? Your bow does look familiar :smile: Would have been fun working with such a good bowyer. Cheers Steve
Hi Steve. Yep Alans form is designed to use all full length lams with the handle piece lying between. Everything he has done with this design, the full length lams, the laminated handle is to create strength throughout. He has alot of his own knowledge, developed from 40odd years of bowmaking, while constantly experimenting with different designs.

Scuzz

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks Scuzz. You are right in what you say. I didn't know where you were from but looking at the the bow shape and the giving of the bowyers first name I'm pretty sure I know who it was. If so you certainly did have a good teacher. I haven't seen Alan I'd say since the very late 1990's. That bow design reminds me of one he made way back around 1985 or 86 for Ted Mitchell. Once again congrats on making your first bow.

Would you have a photo of it strung and at full draw?

Jeff

rodlonq

#15 Post by rodlonq » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 am

That is a fantastic result for your first bow Scuzz, no wonder you have been bitten by the bug.

Cheers...... Rod

Guy Layton

#16 Post by Guy Layton » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 am

Top Work for you first attempt mate... Well done...!

With all the laminations in the it handle it kind of reminds me of a Toelke Whip...

Cheers Guy.. :biggrin:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by greybeard » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Scuzz,

Top effort for your first bow and I am sure there will be more to come.

A leather wrap in the right colour will probably enhance the colours in the handle.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

scuzz

#18 Post by scuzz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Just for you Jeff :lol:
Full Draw
Full Draw
IMG105.jpg (97.74 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
The same 'tip protector' Sue :razz:
Strung in Sun
Strung in Sun
IMG106.jpg (143.23 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
Strung in Shade
Strung in Shade
IMG107.jpg (188.32 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
Guy Layton wrote:Top Work for you first attempt mate... Well done...!

With all the laminations in the it handle it kind of reminds me of a Toelke Whip...

Cheers Guy.. :biggrin:
Thanks Guy. I hadnt seen a Toelke Whip untill i just googled it. But there are many similarities. Notice the straight limb at brace. A small difference in handle shape, but very close. :smile:
rodlonq wrote:That is a fantastic result for your first bow Scuzz, no wonder you have been bitten by the bug.

Cheers...... Rod
Thanks Rod
greybeard wrote:Scuzz,

Top effort for your first bow and I am sure there will be more to come.

A leather wrap in the right colour will probably enhance the colours in the handle.

Daryl.
Hi Greybeard, long time no see.
Yea i went with a darker coloured leather in the handle, i packed it out a little with other pieces of leather so get a soft/bulbous feeling that i like, i had a bright red piece i was considering using, but i went with something a little less flamboyant :lol:

scuzz

#19 Post by scuzz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Thanks Scuzz. You are right in what you say. I didn't know where you were from but looking at the the bow shape and the giving of the bowyers first name I'm pretty sure I know who it was. If so you certainly did have a good teacher. I haven't seen Alan I'd say since the very late 1990's. That bow design reminds me of one he made way back around 1985 or 86 for Ted Mitchell. Once again congrats on making your first bow.

Would you have a photo of it strung and at full draw?

Jeff
Alan had this very design at least 13 years ago, its beautiful now, and it was beautiful then. And i think he was building up to this for a while before that, so im sure there were similarities in the models earlier.

I have always had a great deal of respect for Alan as both an archer and bowyer. From getting to know him on a more personal basis over the past 6 months, my respect has only grown. He says what he thinks, while being a pure gentlemen at the same time.

Scuzz

Nephew

#20 Post by Nephew » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Awesome first bow, mate! I can see the Tolke whip similarities too. Well done indeed.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for the photos Scuzz, much appreciated. The limbs have an unusual bend to them.

Alan is a nice bloke and was (probably still is) a very good shot.

The bow I mentioned Alan made back in the mid eighties was his first attempt at making a longbow with the deflex/reflex limb design but the reflex never came out so it ended up a semi-recurve.

Jeff

scuzz

#22 Post by scuzz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Thanks for the photos Scuzz, much appreciated. The limbs have an unusual bend to them.

Alan is a nice bloke and was (probably still is) a very good shot.

The bow I mentioned Alan made back in the mid eighties was his first attempt at making a longbow with the deflex/reflex limb design but the reflex never came out so it ended up a semi-recurve.

Jeff
Alan likes this type of bend. A little through the handle, a fair bit throughout the midlimb, and a straight tip. It feels great to shoot.

Alan at age 69 is still shooting as well as i am, i could imagine him being incredible in his prime. I could imagine him being a competitor in most trad events even now.

Yea he does have alot of different designs, still in his shed. Some he believes were too twitchy, some with too much hand shock, some designs that were no good. This is his idea of a well balanced bow. :smile:

Scuzz

scuzz

#23 Post by scuzz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Nephew wrote:Awesome first bow, mate! I can see the Tolke whip similarities too. Well done indeed.
Oh and thanks nephew :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks Scuzz. Alan always supported the Australian Longbow Musters when we hosted them back in the 1980's and 90's.

Jeff