Centreshot selfbows

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

job

Centreshot selfbows

#1 Post by job » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 am

I had a kind of a query the other day about whether selfbows can be centreshot. Some people say this cannot be because the act of drawing the bow tends to turn the bow in your hand cancelling out any intended bias. I find that in working with split staves sometimes there is a natural curve and shape to the grain that allows the bow to be tillered for Right or Left hand. Here is a couple of pictures that I hope show this. The bottom one is a 30 lber that I let people try down the club. It has a fairly extreme bend that almost becomes RH centreshot when fully drawn. The other is an 85 lbs bow that has a tendency to sit RH . I find this helps with your sight picture on the target.
Attachments
85 lbs longbow small.jpg
85 lbs longbow small.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
30 lbs bent bow small.jpg
30 lbs bent bow small.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 4641 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Centreshot selfbows

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm

I have, and have seen, self bows made from split staves and billets which are very bias to left or right hand. Mine is not centre shot but the string tracks to the side of the handle.

Your bows look great.! What wood are you using in making them?

Jeff

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Hey Job, mine is all but centre shot. Makes it so much more tolerant of arrow spine.
100_4753.JPG
100_4753.JPG (71.34 KiB) Viewed 4620 times

job

#4 Post by job » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:I have, and have seen, self bows made from split staves and billets which are very bias to left or right hand. Mine is not centre shot but the string tracks to the side of the handle.

Your bows look great.! What wood are you using in making them?

Jeff
I'm using colonial Wych Elm. Kindly provided by the Hobart City Council, happily destroying their heritage.

job

#5 Post by job » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:06 pm

longbow steve wrote:Hey Job, mine is all but centre shot. Makes it so much more tolerant of arrow spine.
100_4753.JPG
That is beautiful. I take it it's osage? Did you cut it locally?

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:22 pm

job wrote:
longbow steve wrote:Hey Job, mine is all but centre shot. Makes it so much more tolerant of arrow spine.
100_4753.JPG
Yes Job, it is Osage and cut locally. Do you have any in Tasmania? Steve

job

#7 Post by job » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:48 pm

longbow steve wrote:
job wrote:
100_4753.JPG
Yes Job, it is Osage and cut locally. Do you have any in Tasmania? Steve
Unfortunately not. I heard it's only an American invasion in some parts of NSW. Down here it's an English invasion, hence the Wych Elm. I've tried various local timbers but with only limited success. Wych Elm was supposed to be the No. 1 white wood behind yew, but a lot of folk rate osage as good as yew. Wish I could get hold of some. Love the colour.

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm

You could buy seeds of Osage from hardware store in the past for planting as hedgerows/tool handles so it is quite prolific in Vic and NSW. There was a fella in Victoria selling some in the trade blanket but it wasn't prepped with bow making in mind and just felled to be sold by the kilo (probably suitable for turning) Hopefully it isn't all rotting. Cheers Steve

discord

#9 Post by discord » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:45 pm

There must be some osage down there somewhere, job.. I bought some seeds from a mob in Snug last year. Maybe you could give them a call if you're really keen. http://www.phoenixseeds.net.au/
HAIL ERIS!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:56 pm

job wrote:I'm using colonial Wych Elm. Kindly provided by the Hobart City Council, happily destroying their heritage.
Thanks mate. You will have to show us some more photos of your bows.

No Osage down there huh. I know where you can get some Yew though. Just go through these gates and down on the left. :wink: :lol:
IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG (233.05 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
Hope that helps. :mrgreen:

Jeff

longbow steve

#11 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm

longbow steve wrote:Best get one of these too :lol:
Yep, that'd be handy for sure Steve. He might need a better silencer on it though. :lol:

Jeff

job

#13 Post by job » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:43 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
job wrote:I'm using colonial Wych Elm. Kindly provided by the Hobart City Council, happily destroying their heritage.
Thanks mate. You will have to show us some more photos of your bows.

No Osage down there huh. I know where you can get some Yew though. Just go through these gates and down on the left. :wink: :lol:
IMG_2447.JPG
Hope that helps. :mrgreen:

Jeff
That's not Yew, that's Huon. :wink:

job

#14 Post by job » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 am

longbow steve wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400326568020 ... 260wt_1257
Best get one of these too :lol:
I've heard Government House is the go!. I'll get the muffler, don the ninja gear, and hop over the palings one moonless night. :wink:

rodlonq

#15 Post by rodlonq » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:29 am

I am no bowyer or even have any experience with selfbows, but I can offer these comments from an engineering point of view.

Unless you have a shelf cut into the bow so that it is past centre immediately above the grip, the bow will not act like it is centreshot, it will act like a straight stave. I am talking about a snakey selfbow here, but has no shelf, just the grip is misaligned with the string as you look at the braced bow. It will draw and shoot just like a perfectly straight stave, with respect to the arrow travelling around the handle.

Visualise a bow that has the limb tips and outer limbs in line with the string but the grip is to the side when you looked at the braced bow from the belly. As soon as you grip the bow and pick up the string, the reaction forces will make a straight line from the centre of your grip (pivot point) to the point on the string where your fingers are. The four points on the bow where forces are acting will want to get themselves arranged into a single plane. So now it is the limbs that will be out of line with the plane that passes through your grip pivot point, the string point and the two nocks where the string pulls on the bow. I would think that unless you have a shelf then the arrow will behave as if it is going around the handle on a straight stave self bow.

Steve's bow above is certainly a special case where the snaky-ness is akin to cutting in a shelf. The pivot point could be either under the arrow if he uses a low wrist or a fair bit to the side if he uses a high wrist. Either way it looks like a really cool self bow and I would love to make one like it one day.

Cheers........ Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 am

job wrote:That's not Yew, that's Huon.
Just go a little further around and I can assure you that you will find this. :mrgreen:
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG (179.8 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
Jeff

job

#17 Post by job » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
job wrote:That's not Yew, that's Huon.
Just go a little further around and I can assure you that you will find this. :mrgreen:
IMG_2440.JPG
Jeff
Damn, you've made my day. Nobody would miss one of those limbs would they? If you go down to the woods tonight? :wink:

longbow steve

#18 Post by longbow steve » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:36 pm

I see Jeff has already had a go at it :smile: . Steve

job

#19 Post by job » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:42 pm

rodlonq wrote:I am no bowyer or even have any experience with selfbows, but I can offer these comments from an engineering point of view.

Unless you have a shelf cut into the bow so that it is past centre immediately above the grip, the bow will not act like it is centreshot, it will act like a straight stave. I am talking about a snakey selfbow here, but has no shelf, just the grip is misaligned with the string as you look at the braced bow. It will draw and shoot just like a perfectly straight stave, with respect to the arrow travelling around the handle.

Visualise a bow that has the limb tips and outer limbs in line with the string but the grip is to the side when you looked at the braced bow from the belly. As soon as you grip the bow and pick up the string, the reaction forces will make a straight line from the centre of your grip (pivot point) to the point on the string where your fingers are. The four points on the bow where forces are acting will want to get themselves arranged into a single plane. So now it is the limbs that will be out of line with the plane that passes through your grip pivot point, the string point and the two nocks where the string pulls on the bow. I would think that unless you have a shelf then the arrow will behave as if it is going around the handle on a straight stave self bow.

Steve's bow above is certainly a special case where the snaky-ness is akin to cutting in a shelf. The pivot point could be either under the arrow if he uses a low wrist or a fair bit to the side if he uses a high wrist. Either way it looks like a really cool self bow and I would love to make one like it one day.

Cheers........ Rod
Very interesting points you raise here. I always assumed that a drawn bow would attempt to align itself in the most vertical plane, which in the case of the very bendy 30 lbs bow I have shown would be in effect to almost turn it on its edge. This bow does not however do that. It just sits there with the string in the same position as in the photo. This bow allows me a true point of aim without aiming off to the side, almost as though it is centreshot. Which is not to say that the arrows are not bending round the handle. My understanding of spine is that all arrows shot with a finger tab bend because of the sideways pressure of a finger release. With a bow shot off the handle the convention is that spine has to be a lot weaker because the arrow has to flex more for clearance as it passes the handle. If it's too stiff it will strike the handle on the way through. The advantage of a bow that is centreshot is that it will shoot a much stiffer arrow and still clear the handle. The other advantage is that the arrow will straighten up much faster, which really helps at short distances where the cycle of the bend can throw the arrow out left or right. Most arrows straighten themselves out over distance, which is why medieval military archers graded arrows by weight, not spine. I'm not suggesting they didn't know about spine, just that it was not relevant to them. Spine as I understand is a fairly modern American concept. I still have the back of the stave that I made the 30 lbs bow out of. I'm hoping to get a much heavier bow out of it. It will be interesting to see if that does turn in the hand. I have a feeling that a heavier bow might, but with that degree of wave there should still be a significant affect on spine.

GrahameA

#20 Post by GrahameA » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Evening.
job wrote:.... With a bow shot off the handle the convention is that spine has to be a lot weaker because the arrow has to flex more for clearance as it passes the handle. If it's too stiff it will strike the handle on the way through. ....
You are interested in a couple of things.

# The natural frequency of the shaft so that it effectively goes through one oscillation in the time it takes for the arrow to go past the riser. Spine is an indicator of the stiffness of the shaft which in turn is and indicator of the natural frequency.

# The amplitude of the oscillation so that the arrow clears the obstructions.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Fraser

#21 Post by Fraser » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Interesting talking about string bias, my self bow experience is all of 1 week, but when I first strung my bow the string had a very strong bias to the right side of the bow, almost to the edge. After the first 100 arrows the string now sits dead centre of the bow. Also the tiller changed slitely.

Fraser.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 pm

longbow steve wrote:I see Jeff has already had a go at it :smile: . Steve
Now what gives you that idea Steve? :lol:

Jeff