Osage Self bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Osage Self bow

#1 Post by longbow steve » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 am

I have just finished off my first Osage self bow. Specs 60#@28" 65"ntn. 1/3/8" for half the limb length then tapering to 1/2" at the tips.
The handle wrap is a John Strunk style with a Crocodile scale for the arrow rest. I was happy with the grip until the last minute when I was tightening it up and it tore a little of the underlying wrap :sad: anyway it isn't that noticeable and should last a few years as is.
Working on a set of self nocked arrows to suit as we speak :smile: .

100_4743.JPG
100_4743.JPG (115.84 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
100_4744.JPG
100_4744.JPG (74.74 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
100_4748.JPG
100_4748.JPG (112.66 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
100_4750.JPG
100_4750.JPG (125.97 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
100_4753.JPG
100_4753.JPG (71.34 KiB) Viewed 6059 times

hazard

Re: Osage Self bow

#2 Post by hazard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Steve,
Another work of art! well done mate, hows it shoot?

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Very nice character bow Steve. always something special about osage.Looks great tiller too.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 pm

love the s bend grip.....how close to centre is it?
Nice bit of kit that. Would go well with bamboo arrows......footed and self nocked. I have got a self nock jig if you want to borrow it.....and some horn strips.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Love your work Steve, what a cracker :mrgreen: .

Cheers..... Rod

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:10 pm

hazard wrote:Hi Steve,
Another work of art! well done mate, hows it shoot?

Hazard
Thanks Graydon, it shoots great and will be my hunting bow for the next trip :smile: .
bigbob wrote:Very nice character bow Steve. always something special about osage.Looks great tiller too.
Thanks Bob, yes the Osage is a beautiful timber. Tiller is not perfect but it shoots very well with little handshock. I am getting better and more patient with the selfbows.
longbowinfected wrote:love the s bend grip.....how close to centre is it?
Nice bit of kit that. Would go well with bamboo arrows......footed and self nocked. I have got a self nock jig if you want to borrow it.....and some horn strips.

Kevin
Hi Kevin, yeah it is pretty much centre shot :smile: . I considered bamboo arrows but have gone with some Douglas Fir. I wish I knew you had a self nock jig as it would have saved me putting my thumb into the circular saw trying to make one :surprised: .
rodlonq wrote:Love your work Steve, what a cracker :mrgreen: .
Cheers..... Rod
Thanks Rod but I hope it isn't a cracker :lol: .
Cheers Steve

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Steve

It looks good enough to be jealous over. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
longbow steve wrote:I am getting better and more patient... ....I wish I knew you had a self nock jig as it would have saved me putting my thumb into the circular saw trying to make one :surprised:
Apparently not patient enough. It is time now to build the jig. You will need it in the future = probably at a stage when you will be rushed.

What I should do is go and make a new one myself.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:09 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Steve

It looks good enough to be jealous over. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
longbow steve wrote:I am getting better and more patient... ....I wish I knew you had a self nock jig as it would have saved me putting my thumb into the circular saw trying to make one :surprised:
Apparently not patient enough. It is time now to build the jig. You will need it in the future = probably at a stage when you will be rushed.

What I should do is go and make a new one myself.
Ha, thinking about it I think I would be jealous if someone else posted this bow :lol: .
I have found I can do the self nocks without a jig in little more time than it takes to glue on plastic nocks but I will check Kevins out when I see him next as I cant see myself buying nocks ever again :smile: . I said I was getting patient with the bow making, not arrow making :lol: , I should have been making arrows over the 6 months it has taken me to finish the bow :roll: . Cheers Steve

littlejohn59

#9 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:01 pm

8) 8) Looks an awesome bow with plenty of character. 8) 8)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Love the look of it Steve. Well done!

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Good work there Steve, the bow looks good un-braced, braced and at full draw.

Did you induce reflex into the limbs, was it a bent log or the result of the splitting and drying process.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 pm

littlejohn59 wrote: 8) 8) Looks an awesome bow with plenty of character. 8) 8)
Thanks Little John :smile:
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Love the look of it Steve. Well done!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff

longbow steve

#13 Post by longbow steve » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:57 pm

greybeard wrote:Good work there Steve, the bow looks good un-braced, braced and at full draw.

Did you induce reflex into the limbs, was it a bent log or the result of the splitting and drying process.

Daryl.
Hi Daryl, the stave started of with 1 1/2 of natural reflex due to being a slightly bent log. The bow is from this topic http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... lar+tiller
If you recall I asked at Imbil about the RH moisture content that you guys have up in QLD. This bow took 2" of string follow and obviously
3 1/2" of set so to say I was disappointed in Osage would be an understatement so it prompted me to look at why. I borrowed Kevin's moisture meter and measured some local Blackwood that I have been seasoning for 4 years and checked Kev's Bootle's book for the adjusted moisture content and found it to be at 17% MC. My research of US sites found that the preferred moisture content for Osage is between 10% and 8 % so I set the tillered bow up back to original reflex and heated with a heat gun following the directions in the Bowyers Bible 4 and it did the trick :smile: . The bow picked up 6# and holds 1" of reflex after shooting and returns the full 1 1/2" at rest.
I couldn't check the MC of the bow due to the stage of tiller but am confident that moisture content was the problem as I live in a very mild climate that often endures 100% humidity. I will be artificially drying all of my staves from now on :smile: . Thanks Steve

yeoman

#14 Post by yeoman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Nice bow there, well done!

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

perry

#15 Post by perry » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Good work Steve, top effort.

How did you season the Stave Mate ? I see absolutely no point in seasoning Staves for Years ! I always split my Staves, Strip the Bark immediately then work them down to a Floor Tiller whilst Green, leaving the Limbs and Tips nice and wide but as thin as possible. The Staves Season within Weeks, do not Twist or Check. The secret is thinner wood than it is wide. Obviously as you Tiller the Stave the tips and limbs dimentions are ruduced.

Flat Cuts such as a Saw leaves are asking for Trouble Drying Check Wise. A Stave with uneven cuts such as if it was felled with an Axe or Machette still Checks but due to the uneven Cuts Moisture escapes over a greater surface area and it will not check as badly. I just weigh the Stave regularly and when it looses no weight for 2 or 3 Days it should be dry enough to make a Bow regardless of where you live

I have never struck trouble with excessive String Follow due to excess moisture with this method. I am most experienced with Green Aussie Timbers. I have used New England cut Osage and still have a Gnarly Stave in the Garden Shed that will make a Short Bow.

Despite being a Self confessed Ludite I am really interested in your success with the Moisture Metre and then the Heat Gun as it seems to me that this Bow was thin enough to dry thoughly as it took so long for you to finish it. I remember Years ago Glenn Newell told me that he had great success with Osage and a Heat Gun.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

longbow steve

#16 Post by longbow steve » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 am

How did you season the Stave Mate ? I see absolutely no point in seasoning Staves for Years ! I always split my Staves, Strip the Bark immediately then work them down to a Floor Tiller whilst Green, leaving the Limbs and Tips nice and wide but as thin as possible. The Staves Season within Weeks, do not Twist or Check. The secret is thinner wood than it is wide. Obviously as you Tiller the Stave the tips and limbs dimentions are ruduced.
Thanks Perry, The stave air dried for 2 years then spent 6-12 months as a minimised stave then over 6 months at just over finished dimension so it had plenty of time to dry. I inly left it that long due to not having much time rather than some set formula for drying.
Flat Cuts such as a Saw leaves are asking for Trouble Drying Check Wise. A Stave with uneven cuts such as if it was felled with an Axe or Machette still Checks but due to the uneven Cuts Moisture escapes over a greater surface area and it will not check as badly. I just weigh the Stave regularly and when it looses no weight for 2 or 3 Days it should be dry enough to make a Bow regardless of where you live
Thats interesting about leaving the uneven cuts for drying, make sense. Weighing the stave is good provided the equilibrium moisture content of your area is suitable :smile: , there is a big difference between the warmth of QLD and the very mild temperature of the top of the Blue Mountains. I have spoken to a couple of carpenters that work up here and yes they have had issue with furniture warping when it is brought inside after construction.
Despite being a Self confessed Ludite I am really interested in your success with the Moisture Metre and then the Heat Gun as it seems to me that this Bow was thin enough to dry thoughly as it took so long for you to finish it. I remember Years ago Glenn Newell told me that he had great success with Osage and a Heat Gun.
I had to heat straighten the bow to get it to remain strung as there was a bend in the handle that had the tips 1" to to the side of the handle. I heated with a heat gun and used olive oil to minimise the scorching and managed to get the bow to bend into line at a 1 1/2" x 1" area so Osage obviously works well with heat. Following the directions on heat treating in the bowyers bible you clamp the bow into reflex or whatever shape and work from the tips in to the handle. I didn't use a form but placed the handle on a 2" block and clamped the tips down to the bench. I could see when the wood plasticised due to the heat as the shape changed in front of my eyes :smile: . I feel I have learnt allot from this bow. Cheers Steve

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:55 am

Very nice Steve :biggrin:

Buranurra

#18 Post by Buranurra » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:01 pm

Wow, that is a beauty, so much talent on this forum! Well done.

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

longbow steve

#19 Post by longbow steve » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:39 am

Thanks Rod and Jase :smile:

Jeffro

#20 Post by Jeffro » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 am

Hey Steve,I just saw it mate it looks really good.Will that next trip be our christmas one.I hope I get to see you take a pig with that.
Cheers
Jeff

longbow steve

#21 Post by longbow steve » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 am

Jeffro wrote:Hey Steve,I just saw it mate it looks really good.Will that next trip be our christmas one.I hope I get to see you take a pig with that.
Cheers
Jeff
Hey Jeff, Thanks. Yes thats the next trip :smile: . I had better get practicing with it :smile:

scuzz

#22 Post by scuzz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Theres something about Osage that gets my blood flowing! :oops: .
It looks great, thanks for posting :wink:

Scuzz

longbow steve

#23 Post by longbow steve » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks Scuzz :smile: .

Guy Layton

#24 Post by Guy Layton » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Steve,

Bloody beautiful mate...!!!

I might have to get me one of those... 8)

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

longbow steve

#25 Post by longbow steve » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks Guy :smile:

Hamish

#26 Post by Hamish » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:09 am

Hi Steve, Looks like a really nice bow, can't wait to see it in the flesh.
I reckon the wood from that spot where it came from is not that dense for osage, and that's also a factor in the stringfollow, along with potential moisture content issues. Good response to heat treatment and reflex correction. Light osage is still osage and you have gotten the best from that stave. Well done.
Hamish.

JoeLethbridge

#27 Post by JoeLethbridge » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Very nice Steve :biggrin:
very good bow :smile: im turning green with envy at the thought of it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hamish

#28 Post by Hamish » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

I handled the bow today. A lovely piece of work indeed, well crafted, beautiful slightly reflexed profile. The heat treatment after tillering has turned it from a good bow to an excellent one. A bow to be proud of.
Hamish.

longbow steve

#29 Post by longbow steve » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 am

Thanks Hamish.

pkearney

#30 Post by pkearney » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:37 am

Great work ,I am interested to see what Osage finishes like, I have some for the next LB project and it is very yellow cheers Phill