Long bow builds

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

pkearney

Long bow builds

#1 Post by pkearney » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Here goes . I have made couple of long bows using Jarrah as the belly and I find it prone to compression fractures .My question is I have some Osage 16mm and Bamboo and wish to have the thickness around 25mm in the centre do I make the bamboo thicker or have 3 layers 4mm Bamboo 4 mm Jarrah an 16 mm Osage .Thanks

longbow steve

Re: Long bow builds

#2 Post by longbow steve » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:43 am

A contrasting core lamination would look nice. The jarrah would work but you can go with a lighter weight timber as it will be doing little work. Cheers Steve

pkearney

#3 Post by pkearney » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks Steve , btw does presents of a compression fracture without an obvious hinge mean the ultimate failure of the bow at that point ? cheers Phillip

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:08 pm

pkearney wrote:Thanks Steve , btw does presents of a compression fracture without an obvious hinge mean the ultimate failure of the bow at that point ? cheers Phillip
Do you mean where a Chrysal has formed? I have a few bows with Chrysals that have taken set but haven't seemed to get worse with the small amount I shoot them. Others may have a better answer for you. Perhaps shoot the bow and monitor if it is deteriorating. Cheers Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:52 pm

pkearney wrote:btw does presents of a compression fracture without an obvious hinge mean the ultimate failure of the bow at that point ?
Phillip, Firstly welcome to Ozbow. Take a look at this thread of Dennis La Varenne's and go to Photo 20 and read the relevant comments above it as this may help with your situation.
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... ng#p133198

Jeff