Hows this one?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

Hows this one?

#1 Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:03 pm

Nearly finished another bow for a friend , thought I'd whack on here for anyone to have a look at . Came in a couple # over this time just to keep me on my toes. Should be 40# at 28'' ended up 43#. Bit of the 'un named' wood in the riser, along with some asian hardwood for centre contrast. Natural 'boo accent strips.Coffee and natural 'boo in the lams, and coffee on the belly lam.Nice and smooth.Has to have a few more coats finish, and the shots were taken on overcast day not really showing the real colours in the riser.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (195.93 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (194.78 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (192.11 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (172.29 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hows this one?

#2 Post by Bill » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:26 pm

8) Nice looking bow, your friend should be very pleased, :biggrin: for I know I would be..... well done Bob.

Nephew

#3 Post by Nephew » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:51 pm

The bowmaking skills are developing nicely, there, Bob! Looks like, in the near future, there may be a challenger to the primacy of the mighty "Gringa" in the longbow world! :wink: :smile:
Very good, mate, love the use of the "Mystery Wood"!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:15 pm

This one looks really nice Bob. Those woods go together very well. I notice you have placed the shelf higher on this bow which I think is a good idea by the way. Well done mate and keep up the good work.

Jeff

Roadie

#5 Post by Roadie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:41 pm

I agree with what has been said, it does look good, your friend should be happy. I like Jeffs comment about the shelf, and as he said Keep up the Good work. Cheers Roadie.

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks for the favourable comments guys. Reckon Ol' Rod still got the wood on me,but hey i'm trying! :wink: :mrgreen: Been experimenting Jeff, with shelf positions and what not.I spend every hour practically, when I'm not working on bows just researching different things. Leaning more toward limb timing at nominated draw lengths rather then just positive or negative tiller. The shelf is not cut in until I find the dynamic centre rather than the static[ non working] centre . I make them equal length limbs and set them up so they are positioned on the dynamic centre rather than static, ie relating to arrow pass and draw finger placement rather than just string drawing from the static centre.I believe this gives a true loading on the limbs relative to the shooters actual hand and finger position . When the tips are timed so that they reach the same position at end of draw they subsequently must return at the same time to a static position resulting in a quiet and hand shock free bow. Seems to be going ok with these latest few bows.
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:52 pm

bigbob wrote:When the tips are timed so that they reach the same position at end of draw they subsequently must return at the same time to a static position resulting in a quiet and hand shock free bow.
That's what proper tillering is all about Bob. :biggrin:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Lookin very nice Bob :biggrin:

AndyD

#9 Post by AndyD » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Looks beautiful.
If it shoots as smooth as it looks your onto a winner!
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I do realise you know what tillering is Jeffry :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: :lol: I was explaining how my shelf cuts may vary a little and got carried away. :oops: :smile:thanks also Rod and Andy. I have only shot it to find brace and nock heights but it is very smooth.
razorbows.com

stickslinger

#11 Post by stickslinger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Nice looking Bow, I want one!! :biggrin:

Nutgrass

#12 Post by Nutgrass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey Bob, they are coming along quite nicely mate 8) That mystery wood has some character 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

bigbob

#13 Post by bigbob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 pm

thanks stickslinger and Nutty.Might post another shot later once I finish with the finish coats.
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi Bob.
bigbob wrote:When the tips are timed so that they reach the same position at end of draw they subsequently must return at the same time to a static position ...
No. That is only true if they return at the same rate (acceleration and velocity). If each limb returns at a different rate then they will not arrive at the same time. Imagine a bow with a heavy limb and a light limb - they will have different velocities.

Sit back and have a cup-of-tea and muse over it. :roll:
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bigbob

#15 Post by bigbob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks Grahame.My statement was made with the inference that both limbs are equal, ie both of equal length, shaped to identical marks, and having the same size and mass in the tip overlays.Even when the graphs show they are timed, as in tips being in identical position at the same time, the only way to be sure is to test shoot it which I do. Any discrepancy shows up as a slight rattling or buzzing sound emanating from one limb usually the upper.This is my take on things anyway.
razorbows.com

RobHunter

#16 Post by RobHunter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Well done Bob

Even as a bow making virgin, I can see the skill in your bow making.

Rob