Phenolic or linen micarta

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

Phenolic or linen micarta

#1 Post by bigbob » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 pm

This info is not a product of my febrile mind but courtesy of tradgang site in US.I had some small amount of smooth-on left in some tins. Not enough for a bow but a bit small for much else when I happened on the following on the arforementioned site.Any one making a bow will know how expensive materials are getting, not the least phenolic for trim pieces. This is my first attempt and rendered me a servicable strip first up, albiet it is linen micarta rather than phenolic as it uses specific glues. It still has a bit of cling wrap stuck to it and will need a light pass through my lam grinder to clean it up.Simply all thats needed is some strips of cloth in the required colour/s, and width, bearing in mind they will be a little darker on completion.Next 2 strips of smooth level board and some clamps.Wrap each board with cling wrap and lay the first strip on one board, coat the strip liberally with smooth-on [or similar] then just layer each strip on the previous to the required thickness. there is no need in this instance to coat both sides as the glue will penetrate. Once all glued place the other cling wrapped board on top and clamping with as many metal clamps as possible .Bang in hotbox for couple hours, cool and clean.Voila! Will save heaps and best is you choose the colours you want.
I trimmed one side in bandsaw for effects.
Attachments
012.JPG
012.JPG (194.49 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (164.29 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Phenolic or linen micarta

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:29 pm

It will be good to see how it goes in the first bow you use it in mate - an excuse to make another. :mrgreen: I think LB made some similar some time ago now.

You better read that manual on how to use that camera of yours as you still haven't got the focussing down pat. :lol:

Jeff

otis.drum

#3 Post by otis.drum » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 pm

i have seen it made like this before. i am interested as to how it goes. let us know.

i think it's used in electrical switchboards a bit if you know a leckie that pulls them down on occasions.
...otis...

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Good one Bob,i made some awhile ago and used it mainly in the tip overlay's of a few bows and looked pretty good.....

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Yeah Jeff its minimum focal point is .5m so its a bit hard to gauge the focus in strong light. Truly I once took picture postcard quality snaps when I owned a 35 mm SLR though i know that seems hard to believe.Yep Rod will try it before long and see how it goes. Cant see why it wouldnt be any good.
razorbows.com

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:32 pm

G/Day Bob, some time back I made up a strip of Micarta. Memory's a bit hazy but I think I Glued couple of dozen layers of material using Bote Cote Epoxy. I used the strip of Micarta for tip overlays to enable use of a TS1 string and for Knife Scales.

The tip overlays are still going strong after 6 or 7 years. I also used Alcohol based Leather Die to stain the Micarta I used on the Knife Scales. The original pattern on the Flanelette still shows strongly. After some years the die has not leached or faded. Might be handy if you want some added contrast.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks Perry.not sure if I'll make much at this stage though.
razorbows.com

BenBow

#8 Post by BenBow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:55 am

I've got some smoothon that I need to use before it gets old so I plan on making some micarta with a blend of linen and fiberglass cloth for my next riser. Should be tough as nails.

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:11 am

With the tape included it sure should be strong enough.
razorbows.com

twisted limb

#10 Post by twisted limb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Hey Bob, talking about micarta I thought you might be interested these pics of my wifes new bow.The riser is solid micarta 38#@28", 58" amo it's a little ripper.
John.
Attachments
DSCF0035.JPG
DSCF0035.JPG (30.38 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
DSCF0034.JPG
DSCF0034.JPG (46.66 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
DSCF0033.JPG
DSCF0033.JPG (66.67 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
DSCF0032.JPG
DSCF0032.JPG (73.63 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Very smick. Gawd how much glue would have been used to get that thickness!
razorbows.com