Retillered Holmegaard bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

twisted limb

Retillered Holmegaard bow

#1 Post by twisted limb » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 am

Hello all,
I have finally shot-in my changes after Dennis sent me back to the workshop and I'm very happy with the results.The bow picked up a little speed from the reduction of the outer limbs even though it lost 2 pounds in the retillering process ( I don't have a crony but the "point on" range went out about 2 meters which I take as an increase in arrowspeed).
There is no sign of stacking and it shoots whisper quiet -an indication of efficient energy tranfer.
It certainly is an intriguing design and I would love to see some pic.s of any holmegaards you guys have made.
John.
Attachments
I love character bows
I love character bows
DSCF0024.JPG (23.83 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
just unstrung
just unstrung
DSCF0028.JPG (18.48 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
holmegaard profile
holmegaard profile
DSCF0021.JPG (18.96 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
shoulders removed
shoulders removed
DSCF0023.JPG (29.5 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
full draw
full draw
DSCF0018.JPG (28.79 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

Brumbies Country

Re: Retillered Holmegaard bow

#2 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Hello John

With considerable thanks to Jeff I just got back into the system after being out of it for more than a week. Great that you've got a bit of increased speed as a result of Denis's recommendations. I thought it was looking pretty good before.

I finally finished its sister stave last weekend. Its along Eastern woodland American Indian lines. I'm really happy with its performance. It's the second black locust bow I've made and both have benfaster than other self bows I have shot.

I had an interesting talk to John Gaston last weekend. He's built a number of osage bows and only a couple I think of black locust but he reckons the black locust bows are a bit quicker. Much of course depends on bow design but it would be an interesting debate on this forum, black locust vs osage.

The Cherokee indians pior to the introduction of firearms were reportedly strongly into black locust.

Simon

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Glad it is working better after the tiller adjustment mate.

Jeff

twisted limb

#4 Post by twisted limb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks Jeff,
Dennis was right on the money with his suggestions the next thing I'm making will be an offset tillerstick.
Hi Simon,
The bow you saw a Tumut was the retillered version.It's great that you got a good bow from her sister stave I'd like to see you shooting it at Wisemans Ferry.
I've only made the one black locust bow and one from osage so I'm no expert but my osage flat bow is yards quicker than the BL holmegaard.I guess we'll just have to make some more bows to find out which timber faster.

John.

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:15 pm

I can only see hunting shots with hogs. Such is life.

Brumbies Country

#6 Post by Brumbies Country » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi John

Maybe I won't start an osage vs black locust debate after all :smile:.

Yes definitely will be shooting my creation at Wiseman's Ferry. Going to have to find somewhere to watch Australia in the World Cup semi-final that weekend but looking forward to the shoot.

Simon