Son asked me for a bow...

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

jebee

Son asked me for a bow...

#1 Post by jebee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Hello All!

My first post here and a bit of introduction. I always considered myself pretty hopeless working with wood (I'm IT engineer so pretty far from wood working). Nevertheless I've managed to make a computer table recently. Then my 6 year old son asked me to made him a wooden sword (for his pirate games). So I went to Bunnings, bought couple of cypress fence pickets and made couple of swords. Surprisingly the results were quite nice. Even more surprisingly I really enjoyed working with wood (and my son was absolutely happy).

So... Yesterday my son came to me and said: "Dad, I'm no longer want to be a pirate, I'm an Indian now. MAKE ME A BOW PLEASE".

Now... I'm absolutely not familiar with the subject. Did a bit of reading... Flatbows, longbows, pyramide flatbows, selfbows... I'm confused. I want to build a bow from a single piece of wood (not laminated?). Something simple, but "real" at the same time. From locally available wood. Stumbled upon this. Probably I could manage project this level of difficulty (just). What do you think about this project? Any other similar (or better) designs with the same detailed description? What about this? And to start with, where can I buy nice piece of wood appropriate for bow (preferably in north west Sydney)? That guy from US talks about red oak, but I guess it is not available here? I guess Bunnings is not a right place - only saw pine there?

bigbob

Re: Son asked me for a bow...

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Others on here are are more qualified to answer your queries, but either site would render you a servicable bow if followed implicitly. Getting a desirable draw weight would be the major factor, and this is something I will leave to others to answer. Hope you succeed
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Mate for a kids bow in my opinion the very best one to make your first bow from would be a verticle bamboo floor board.They make a ripper kids bow and are very forgiving on the bowmaker too.I will see if I can find the thread on the one I made and get back to you.
Cheers KIM

kimall

#4 Post by kimall » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Have a bit of a look at this and let me know if I can help in any way.Where are you?
Cheers KIM
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... loor+board

terryzac

#5 Post by terryzac » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:25 pm

gee maggie looks young in that photo mate

terry

kimall

#6 Post by kimall » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:28 pm

Yer still innocent then too but how that all changes hey...
Cheers KIM

jebee

#7 Post by jebee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks, Kimall.

If I'll get bamboo floorboard... Am I correct presuming that it should be flatbow style? Same thickness across whole bow, wider in the middle and narrower on the both ends? Any example sizes?

I'm in Cherrybrook, NSW.

kimall

#8 Post by kimall » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:48 pm

No mate taper the limbs in both width and thickness.just draw a straight line from the end of the handle on the sides to the tips and keeping the edges square then lay the bow on its back and taper from the handle to the tip again using a straight line along ther edge(this is why you keep it square).Then start taking the corners off on the belly side rounding it towards the centre doing a bit of a bevel on one edge and then do the other edges the same and work it down this way until it get near the weight you need.
Cheers KIM
PS If you get stuck I can rough one out on the band saw and send it to you to finish mate. :wink:

jebee

#9 Post by jebee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Oops. Sorry, read link more carefully and saw sizes...

ppofandt

#10 Post by ppofandt » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 am

Another option - if you want something quick or simple is a Rattan bow. Very quick to make but quite low poundage.

I used the guidelines from here:
http://bowyersedge.com/kidsbows.html

Sourced a few cane staves from a cane furniture place in Brisbane (about $15 each). Cut the stave in half, then tapered the stave toward the tips, cut a few simple pin nocks and glued on a paper backing (to reduce the set it develops and to add a little poundage. I also found a 'snakeskin' pattern and printed that out to add a bit of flair). String is venetian blind cord from Bunnings.

Downside is that it's quite low poundage. I measured it at 10# @ about 20". Also the bow takes on quite a lot of 'set'. ie, if ou remove the string it will keep a lot of it's curved shape. Bend it backwards a few times to remove this.

However a more advanced option is certainly a bamboo floorboard bow.

BTW. For reference. I'm also an IT guy that hadn't picked up any wood tools for years. However I conceived a passion to make my own bow. The buildalong is here:
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10025

KellyG

#11 Post by KellyG » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:24 am

if you follow that build along you will be successful. Since you are build a kids bow just about any wood would work. I seen a kid build a 35lb bow from pine it was on youtube. there are numerous places you can order bow board stock form that sites sponsors.