looking for advice on hand tools for shaping bow stave

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

JD79

looking for advice on hand tools for shaping bow stave

#1 Post by JD79 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 pm

'Evening all,

I'm gearing up to make a bamboo backed masaranduba english longbow, possibly with a core of flooring bamboo. First attempt at making a longbow since an ill-fated adventure with some hickory many many years ago.

At the moment I'm experimenting, trying to find the best way to shape a stave of such a hard timber as the masa, using hand tools. I have on hand a spokeshave and a half decent stanley smoothing plane, both freshly fettled and sharpened to a near surgical edge.

Trial runs on the masa have been mixed. The spokeshave seems to be a laborious way of removing material. I have to set it to take off the smallest sliver or things start to chatter and bounce. The plane is better, should be fine for the initial taper, but not great for rounding the back.

I've got a stanley surform on the way with a few grades of blades, so I'll be giving that a go, and should be able to pick up an old drawknife somewhere.

Does anyone here have any other suggestions for shaping such a hard and dense timber?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Joel
One man’s “magic” is another man’s engineering. “Supernatural” is a null word.
-Lazarus Long

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: looking for advice on hand tools for shaping bow stave

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:09 pm

If you want to do it more easily use an angle grinder with various grit sanding discs - I call mine an electric rasp. :mrgreen: If you want to do it the hard way use an ordinary rasp. I'm really not fond of draw knives either as they tend to tear the wood if you aren't real careful.

Jeff

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:58 am

Morning All.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:If you want to do it more easily use an angle grinder with various grit sanding discs - I call mine an electric rasp. :mrgreen:
Extremely effective just don't slip. It will rip timber away faster than you can say Challacombe. Some form of Linisher is also very effective.

The downside is both of these are power tools. In the hand tool range I have developed a strong attachment for Spokeshaves.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 am

GrahameA wrote:Extremely effective just don't slip. It will rip timber away faster than you can say Challacombe.
:lol:

Yeah you do need to take a bit of care (as with most all tools) but once you get used to using one you can do some pretty fine work. :D

Jeff

Len

#5 Post by Len » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:23 am

Spokeshave, rasp and sanding block with various grades of sandpaper are my main tools. When shaping the belly its a good idea to keep a pencil or ink line up the centre to help keep the rounding consistent or you will end up with dips and have to re start to get it even and end up with a lighter bow then intended.
Hmmmmmmm.............

JD79

#6 Post by JD79 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've pinpointed the problems with my planned methods, so I should be able to move along.

Firstly, I had the damn blade back to front in the spokeshave. Small wonder it bounced rather than sliced.

Second, I was trying to get away with a sheet of heavy MDF between two cheap sawhorses as a workbench. I finally saw the light, and decided to sort out something more solid. Luckily a secondhand shop across town had a nice heavy, albeit butt-ugly workbench destined for the tip, which I was able to pick up for the princely sum of $10. Fits my purpose, and more importantly my restrictive Austudy income.

I can now produce a hefty pile of shavings in short order, and things are looking good for when I get the tillering underway on the practice blank. I worked out how to put an edge on the cabinet scraper, and I'm in love with it! Such control and accuracy from such a simple piece of kit. Should be perfect for fine tillering adjustment.
One man’s “magic” is another man’s engineering. “Supernatural” is a null word.
-Lazarus Long

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:35 am

Good Morning
JD79 wrote:Firstly, I had the damn blade back to front in the spokeshave. Small wonder it bounced rather than sliced.
Most of us have made that mistake at one stage or another - self included. Look around for another Spokeshave or two. It can be handy to have a spare sharpened and ready to go.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.