Fixing ye old F clamp

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

Fixing ye old F clamp

#1 Post by stringnstik » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:00 pm

Thought Id just share this.

You never have enough clamps?
Was in this predicament the other day and recalled having once had some F clamps. Aptly named too as I never got them to work properly, that is too hold tight.

Anyway I was desperate so I dug around the shed till they surfaced. These are old, McEwans brand old :lol

I fiddled and sure enough the were F usless clamps indeed. I was about to toss em again and thought Ill take it to work see if Im just not using them properly.
I walked into the doorway of the carpenters/modellers workshop and they burst out laughing. They new exactly why I was there.
Long story short. Cheap soft metal, teeth not cut deep enough, too loose.
Not one for tossing things I thought maybe cut new teeth.. hmm long job. then one of them mentioned showed me a real pro like version. I noticed a grub screw on one of the arms that meshed with the teeth on the shaft.....for extra grip!

Well cutting grooves all the way along the shaft was not worth my time but a grub screw..lets meet it half way and see what transpires.
First I filled the knob off that stop the bottom arm coming off.
With the arm loose I could now put it in a vice and drill a pilot hole just back from the inner inside (see photo) I wanted it just right so the thread would be exposed to grip into the shaft. I got it wrong but no fear I redrilled it out from a 3mm to 4mm grub. Tapped the hole.
put my 4mm grub in and slid it onto the shaft again.
Now when you tighten it it pinches the exposed grub thread onto the shafts edge. the unbraco super strong hi tensile grub bights into the woossy shaft nicely and she slips no more:)
Attachments
Showing where the grub goes
Showing where the grub goes
fclamp2.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Sorry out of focus again.. silly phone camera. you can see the black grub screw goes down the inside of the arm whole.
Sorry out of focus again.. silly phone camera. you can see the black grub screw goes down the inside of the arm whole.
grubscrew.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Last edited by stringnstik on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

bigbob

Re: Fixing ye old F clamp

#2 Post by bigbob » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Clever! :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Steven J

Re: Fixing ye old F clamp

#3 Post by Steven J » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:43 pm

An EXCELLENT solution. I'm impressed.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874