new bench

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

texx

new bench

#1 Post by texx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:12 pm

just thought i would show you the bench i am making .
i intend to have a crack at bow making but before i start that i thought i would build a bench for the task.
welded up the frame from 25 x 25 rhs and fitted it out with ply wood .
the back board i intend to put some grid lines on and it will be for tillering .
on the bench top in the middle at the back there is a square hole in the hole i have fitted a roller then some where around if i can find it i have a very small hand winch which i thought i might fit to the front of the bench then run a rope/cable from the winch under the bench around the pulley and up to the bow string , some where in there will be a pull scale .
even if i do no good at bow making the bench and shelves will be handy .
johno.

oh yeah and david i have cleaned up the workshop a fair bit since you were the other day :D
Attachments
bow bench.JPG
bow bench.JPG (170.63 KiB) Viewed 796 times
always seems to happen when its least expected most

TomMcDonald

Re: new bench

#2 Post by TomMcDonald » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:27 pm

texx wrote:just thought i would show you the bench i am making .
i intend to have a crack at bow making but before i start that i thought i would build a bench for the task.
welded up the frame from 25 x 25 rhs and fitted it out with ply wood .
the back board i intend to put some grid lines on and it will be for tillering .
on the bench top in the middle at the back there is a square hole in the hole i have fitted a roller then some where around if i can find it i have a very small hand winch which i thought i might fit to the front of the bench then run a rope/cable from the winch under the bench around the pulley and up to the bow string , some where in there will be a pull scale .
even if i do no good at bow making the bench and shelves will be handy .
johno.

oh yeah and david i have cleaned up the workshop a fair bit since you were the other day :D
Now that's a bench! Well done.
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Johno,

Good job on the bench but you may find that the tiller board will be a pain in the ass.

Your current design restricts you to using only one side of the bench.

Can you cut and sleeve the box section where the tiller board meets the bench top. With the board out of the way you will have 360 degrees access to the work area and when needed the tiller board can be slotted into place.

Daryl
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Good job there Texx :wink:

texx

#5 Post by texx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:24 pm

greybeard wrote:Johno,

Good job on the bench but you may find that the tiller board will be a pain in the ass.

Your current design restricts you to using only one side of the bench.

Can you cut and sleeve the box section where the tiller board meets the bench top. With the board out of the way you will have 360 degrees access to the work area and when needed the tiller board can be slotted into place.

Daryl
i am kind of running out of room , so i wanted this bench narrow so that i do use one side only, i see what you are getting at but i have a few other wider bench's that i use for other stuff .
i just wanted this one 600 wide ( other bench's are 900 )mainly so i could leave a part built bow in a former or what ever and not have to disturb it when i am doing woodturning or making pens and other stuff i do , also wanted the extra shelf space this gives me .
johno
always seems to happen when its least expected most