Using Danish Oil on Arras

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Nephew

Using Danish Oil on Arras

#1 Post by Nephew » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:57 am

Fellas, if I use Danish Oil on Douglas Fir shafts, can I then cap them with spray can white and then seal them, or does the oil make the use of paint impossible? Is it necessary to seal them once I've used the Danish Oil, or does it do the same job?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

Re: Using Danish Oil on Arras

#2 Post by GrahameA » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:24 am

Hi Craig.
Moreton wrote:Fellas, if I use Danish Oil on Douglas Fir shafts, can I then cap them with spray can white and then seal them, or does the oil make the use of paint impossible? Is it necessary to seal them once I've used the Danish Oil, or does it do the same job?
IMHO The paint will probably come or react badly.

Is the "Danish Oil" or something called Danish Oil - I will vote for the second. I would expect that you can just wipe it on and it will seal, etc. Do a test piece and put some paint on first and after it has dried then try the "Danish Oil" - it may be okay.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:53 am

I used Danish oil for years. Excellent protection for your shaft - carefull how you interpret that :lol:

I used Danish oil on Oregon, Hoop Pine and Ramin Shafts and have not tried it on POC.

If you make yourself up a dip tube that you can immerce the arrow in you can soak the shafts for shorter or longer periods of time to adjust / match their mass. Leave lighter arrows soaking for longer, heavier for shorter periods of time.

Soaking them does not affect the arrows spine

I always buffed the shafts with 0000 steel wool then a clean cloth. This cleaned off excess surface oil. I then put them aside for a couple of weeks to thoughly dry before cresting and finishing.

For cresting I used el cheapo $2 cans of spray paint that I sprayed into small containers and then brushed on and never had an issue with the paint not sticking. I sprayed the same el cheapo clear coat on. Definetly follow Grahames advice.

I have lost arrows treated with Danish oil and then found them months later - perfectly fine to use after a clean up and refletch.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks you blokes. I've got some Vic Ash shafts I applied Danish Oil ( That's what it says on the label, anyway) to about 6 months ago, then forgot about.It stained them a quite attractive dark brown and brought out the grain nicely.
I might have a bit of a play around with them and see what happens.

P.S. :lol: about the shaft protection, Perry ! :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!