maple ??

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

texx

maple ??

#1 Post by texx » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:54 pm

poking around my shed i have come up with a 3 x 3 x 66inch long bit of qld maple , fairly straight grain and knot free ( i bought it a while ago ) anyway would this be a good choice of timber to make a self bow or is maple more suited to laminating ( still waiting for my books to arrive )
was going to buy some rasps until i had a hunt around in the shed this morn and came up with about 6 or 7 rasps flat and half round and 3 surforms ( might need new blades ), some would be mine and some would be dads , i'll jump on the lathe and make some handles for the rasps this arvo .

johno
always seems to happen when its least expected most

rodlonq

Re: maple ??

#2 Post by rodlonq » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Gidday Johno,

I don't know anything about self bows mate and have only just started in making composite bows but I reckon that piece of maple would cut up into enough lams for about 8 bows.

Does anyone know if QLD maple is good core material? I have a piece about 3" x 2"x 8' that I am going to try out once I have learned a bit more.

Will be interested to see what you find out from the blokes on here with a lot more experience.

Cheers........ Rod

texx

#3 Post by texx » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:44 pm

thanks for the reply mate i did'nt think i was going to get one.
yeah i would think the maple would be good for lams but i wanted to make a self bow but am not sure about qld maple for a self bow .
did a few searches and all i kept coming up with was rock maple , different animal all together i think .
this bit of maple has a small problem in that the grain is not dead straight , it runs on a slight curve and angle along the piece but i may be able to follow it with the band saw , or just cut it out straight along the length and forget about self bow and put a backing on it ..
johno

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:48 pm

You do realise that there are well over 3,000 species of Shorea. When you talk about maple, which one and are you sure? I am not a bowyer but as a person with a close interest in timber I would be surprised if it were any good for selfbows or core laminations for other bowtypes. No doubt if I am wrong someone will correct me.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

texx

#5 Post by texx » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:28 pm

"You do realise that there are well over 3,000 species of Shorea"

no i did'nt know there were that many of em .
this timber i have is a little softer than i remember other maple that i have worked with .
it came from just north east of kilcoy QLD and the guy called it queensland maple .
so on reflection i will drop the idea of trying to turn it into a self bow and save it for the wood lathe .
back to square one in the bow making department .
at least i have the books now they arrived a few days ago , bent stick and the bowyers bible vol 1 and 2.

johno

texx

#6 Post by texx » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 pm

pretty sure this is it , but plantation grown.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/26_5494.htm

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:03 pm

Bootle reckons it glues well and makes grat furniture if it is that species. I am not clear as to whether elasticity and compression and other inherent characteristics are ok. Just realise that it is not related to Canadian maple or Rock maple. I think it would be more likely as a laminated component rather than a candidate for a selfbow.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Johno,

The following information would suggest that the timber would be better suited as core material be it sandwiched between pole bamboo, glass or some other suitable material.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/26_5494.htm

Wood appearance;
Grain. The grain is somewhat interlocked, often wavy or curly, and the texture medium and uniform. Some quarter sawn boards show various types of figure such as waterwave, rib and birdseye.

Wood properties;
Density. 575 kg/m3 at 12% moisture content; approximately 1.7 m3 of seasoned sawn timber per tonne.

Strength groups. (S6) unseasoned; SD6 seasoned.
Stress grades. F4, F5, F7, F8 (unseasoned); F7, F8, F11, F14 (seasoned), when visually stress graded in accordance with AS 2082:2000, Timber - hardwood - visually stress-graded for structural purposes.

As with any timber you will not know its suitability to the application unless you have a go.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....