Workbench size

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

Workbench size

#1 Post by looseplucker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 am

Chaps

I am making a new workbench- my current one I inherited and it is an 'orrible chest of drawers conversion 6' lonh with an L shape return about 4' long. To created space in the garage/workshop (for more powertools), I want to go to the one bench. I am thinking something about 60" long, 24" wide and about 30" high - all you other bowyers and handymen - what do you reckon? What is about the minimum you'd go with?

There will be a vice at one end too.

Already have downloaded plans off the interweb so it is a matter of adapting the sizes.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Steven J

Re: Workbench size

#2 Post by Steven J » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 am

I measured mine up last night. It is 1800 x 830mm. I don't think of this as a big bench, but rather as something that is about the minimum for my needs.

If you build 600mm wide or less then you will have difficulty standing a standard cabinet on it as you work. I like my bench at 1800 long, as I can lay out all my bow making materials without them overhanging the bench.

I try to keep my workbench relatively uncluttered as I work by having another bench a step and a half behind me (3600 x 900) behind me to keep tools and supplies on as I work.

Build it heavy. When I moved into my new workshop, I needed Dad to help move the top and then the base in two parts. I think it would weigh at least 150kg.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:14 am

Myself being messy like i am,i need a lot of bench area,so in my small shed where i glue my bows up and final sand them ,ive got one bench 10ft x 3ft with a vice to hold the forms,and another 7ft long to glue the lams on,in the big shed i have a bench about 13 ft long with my drill pess -drop saw -jointer and grinder to do my fade outs,so i like plent of bench area. :lol:

looseplucker

#4 Post by looseplucker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks for this fellas - much appreciated!!! :lol: My workshop is in the garage and so I need to maximise space - given I have powertools on wheeled stands against the walls and other stuff in there.

I probably couldnt go to 10' but I'd love to! I had another look this morning and a few more ideas came to mind to creatively use the space that I have - some of which has to used for other things. :roll:

Steven J

#5 Post by Steven J » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:46 pm

What about making your main bench a sturdy working surface and complimenting it with a bench that swings up from a wall with a drop down leg. That way you can keep your main work surface clean while you work. Even a swing out surface from the side or back of your workbench to increase the size when needed.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

looseplucker

#6 Post by looseplucker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:47 am

Great minds think alike Steve - that is exactly what I am doing!