First attempt at splicing feathers

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

First attempt at splicing feathers

#1 Post by rodlonq » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Had a go at splicing some feathers to make some fancy arras. I don't really know what I am aiming for yet so I tried a few combinations. I want to use orange for a base colour and my young bloke wants to use lime green. The first lot from last night are all orange and black, I was happy at first to see the method work with reasonable results but when I looked at them this morning my first thought was "everyone is gunna think I'm a bloody Balmain Tigers supporter :shock: . So I made some orange ones with other colours as a highlight. It seems black gives the best contrast.
Splice1.JPG
Splice1.JPG (158.33 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
The most important thing I learned (and is mentioned in most online tutorials/buildalongs) is that the piece you are splicing in has to be from the same region of the other colour feather. I tried to make the most of the splicing colour but if it is not from the same region of the feather they will not zip back together successfully. On the other hand if you use bits from the same region they almost pull themselves together, making it much easier, faster, and getting a far better looking result.

I also made up a template to get a feel for which cresting job I would like to go with. I like the third one from the left and Mikey likes the far right one (even with the camera cord in the pic :oops: ). Next trick is to set up a dip tube for cap dipping and get into making some arras, and buy some matching colour model paints. First trial will be on a piece of 5/16" pine dowel.
Splice3.JPG
Splice3.JPG (156.07 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
I cut up about 60 shaft billets from spruce pine before TC Yasi came through but I have been flat out ever since so I ordered some shafts. Most of the billets are a bit short so I need to extend them with hardwood footings, just can't find time to do it all. Thanks for looking.

Gringa Bows

Re: First attempt at splicing feathers

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Looks very good Rod :D

longbowinfected

#3 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:18 pm

I think if you use full feathers and then trim to size using a feather burner you get much more value wrt having to use the same portion of a few precut feathers.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:42 pm

8) Nice Job, well done for a guy that says it's his first attempt, :) a lot of thought put into completing a good looking task, done well..........Bill

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:24 am

Morning All.

Fletches look good - glad to see you have found a new way chew time. :D

The downside is you tend to be a bit more choosey where you shoot good-looking arrows.
rodlonq wrote:.... when I looked at them this morning my first thought was "everyone is gunna think I'm a bloody Balmain Tigers supporter :shock: .
And what was ever wrong with Balmain? :D The current group, "Wests Tigers", is whole different story. (p.s. As a kid I did watch Balmain play at Birchgrove Oval.)
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

rodlonq

#6 Post by rodlonq » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Kev, I used full length feathers and cut them with a "Little Chopper". I had a lot of trouble using the back half of one feather to splice into the front section of another. I reckon I should have waited a bit longer and invested in a burner. From what I saw on a u-tube clip yesterday it has to be the ultimate way to get uniformity in your fletching.

Grahame, I will try to keep telling myself I didn't put all that time into making a nice arrow to use it for a decoration, it was made to be shot. Also I will be telling myself that I am not going to miss the target so there is no chance of losing the arrow. :lol: Sorry about the Balmain/Wests mistake, wasn't thinking clear (or current), however I do like to celebrate a Cowboys try with a beer (doesn't happen too often so I never get to drink too much :lol: ).

Cheers, Rod

UPTHETOP

#7 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Rod the splicing looks great mate, so to the cresting patterns wont be long and the quiver will be full of shafts to bust up on the range. You are certainly learning a lot in such a small time.

( I have a beer everytime someone scores against the cowboys thats why I'm a drunk.)

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Gidday Wayne,

Yer mate, my trouble and strife is starting to make noises like my passion has turned to obsession. HSe used to reckon she was gunna change her middle name to beer in an attempt to get some attention and now it gunna be bowhuntingear :lol:

I might adopt your attitude towards Cowboys scores and the hump on me back might shrink a bit.

Cheers..... Rod