Reflex Deflex

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Reflex Deflex

#1 Post by longbow steve » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:38 pm

This is a small Indian style bow that I made for a mate. Was a fun exercise and shoots with surprising accuracy.
35# @20" American White Ash 44" NTN
100_3564.JPG
100_3564.JPG (140.53 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
100_3565.JPG
100_3565.JPG (118.64 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
100_3566.JPG
100_3566.JPG (88.59 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
100_3570.JPG
100_3570.JPG (61.79 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
100_3569.JPG
100_3569.JPG (155.94 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Reflex Deflex

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Well done Steve, looks good. Those little short draw bows feel very strange to shoot and would take a bit of getting used to I think. :D

Jeff

Bandsaw

#3 Post by Bandsaw » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Its a gorgeous bow mate. Would love to read the steps you took to make it.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. - Billy Connolly

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Great job on the bow Steve. :D

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Well done Steve, looks good. Those little short draw bows feel very strange to shoot and would take a bit of getting used to I think. :D

Jeff
The hardest thing is keeping your draw short :)
Bandsaw wrote:Its a gorgeous bow mate. Would love to read the steps you took to make it.
Thanks Bandsaw, I took some photos of the process incase I had to make another so I may do a write up. The bow is laminated if that helps to understand the shape?
LB rod 55 wrote:Great job on the bow Steve. :D
Thanks rod

UPTHETOP

#6 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 am

C' mon Steve pull it back mate.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Guy Layton

#7 Post by Guy Layton » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:35 pm

Steve,

The bow looks good mate...! :D

The bloke you made the bow for must be a funny looking character....! His arms must each be only 500mm long....!! :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:17 pm

Guy Layton wrote:Steve,

The bow looks good mate...! :D

The bloke you made the bow for must be a funny looking character....! His arms must each be only 500mm long....!! :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy
You can suffer the Wrath alone for that one :lol:

Hamish

#9 Post by Hamish » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 am

Hi Steve, That's great!

When you first told me about this bow, you just said it was ash, so I was expecting to see another straight ash longbow like the last one you made(which is also pretty nifty). So I am am excited and impressed to see a more adventurous design. Me likey. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Hamish

Jon des Bois

#10 Post by Jon des Bois » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey Steve,

Something about this bow really appeals to me, you just don't see enough of these on the range.

Just curious, does it have a thickness taper, or are the limbs the same thickness throughout?

Cheers, Jon
Did anyone see where that arrow went?

longbow steve

#11 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi Jon, Yes it has .002" taper and a 14" wedge in the handle section to thicken it slightly. Note the handle straightens out at full draw.
I like the bow and have plans for another :)

longbow steve

#12 Post by longbow steve » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Hamish wrote:Hi Steve, That's great!

When you first told me about this bow, you just said it was ash, so I was expecting to see another straight ash longbow like the last one you made(which is also pretty nifty). So I am am excited and impressed to see a more adventurous design. Me likey. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Hamish
Thanks Hamish :D

Dennis La Varenne

#13 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Steve,

Very well done!

I have made several of these little bows too and they are fascinating to make and shoot. Mine were of the reflex-deflex configuration like yours, but in the style of Plains Indian bows, being a bit narrower at the flare (about 1 1/4 inches and with fairly wide tips of around 5/8 inch but with a waisted handle like yours. I steam bent the stave into about 7 inches of reflex, let it cool well and then deflexed the outer half of each limb.

Unlike yours, the model I used did not have the slight static reflex in the nock area.

Mine were all made from varying grades of Osage and went as heavy as 70lbs at 23 inchs which was a monster and almost impossible for me to draw. It was made for a mate who was into Plains Indian stuff.

However, mine were a tad longer than yours, usually at around 50 inches overall with a pin nock on the upper limb (to which I tied some horse tail hair courtesy of my mate's horses) and bilateral nocks on the lower limb.

The other aspect of the designs I based my bows on (one of the northern tribes) had a shorter lower limb which gave them a slight Yumi appearance, but was remarkable in that it seemed to reduce string pinch more than one would have thought in such a short bow.

Shooting them gave a whole new meaning to the meaning of instinctive shooting, being more like the feeling of shooting from the hip. When I got the hang of the short draw effect on my back muscles and mostly arm muscles, I was able to shoot pretty accurately by drawing and loosing with a floating 'anchor' in line with the 'pap' as they used to say in old England. It really had the feeling of pointing my bowhand index finger at the mark.

Not good for long shots though.

I found them surprisingly undifficult to make, the most work going into the bending.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

longbow steve

#14 Post by longbow steve » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Very interesting Dennis, I wasn't that happy with the braced and drawn profile of this one as to me it looks more Asiatic but the next on will look more authentic.
I dont suppose you would have photos of the ones you made?
Can you recommend the best books to read on short indian bows?
Thanks Steve

Dennis La Varenne

#15 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Steve,
Your little bow looks more akin to the sinew backed Plains bows which commonly had bellies of some kind of deer antler and sometimes (preferably) Bighorn sheep horn when it could be had. When drawn however, the outer reflex was practically gone.

The selfwood bows usually did not have the short outer reflexes; being formed by first creating a huge reflex in the middle of the bow and then deflexing the outer limb to straight. They were not deflexed past straight toward the belly on any of the artifacts which I have seen pictures of.

When drawn, the seflwood bows bent into the very pronounced shape of the bowl of the letter 'D', beloved of the English longbow shooter. I guess those with short little outer tip reflexes had them to keep their strings on, but that is a guess, because they weren't functioning reflexes.

The styles I built had a single side-nock on the upper limb and bilateral nocks on the lower limb. The strings were flemish twisted for their entire length without a loop being formed and were close to twice the length of the bow. The upper loop was a slip-knot formed by tying one end into a loop and feeding the remainder of the string through it.

Allowing enough length to brace the bow (very low indeed usually) the lower loop was a variant of the timber hitch with the remainder of the string wound back up along the lower limb above the nock with its knotted end tucked under the last loop and pulled tight.

This provided a string which could be continuously fed along the bow as the upper loop frayed from wear and was cut off, after which a new loop was formed and the remainder fed along and tied as previously. Quite clever in its simplicity really.

The books I sourced on the subject were Jim Hamm's book on Native American Bows and Arrows, and his and Steve Allely's joint efforts to produce the two volumes so far of the Encyclopaediae of Native American Bows and Arrows. There is one on the East Coast tribes and one on the Plains tribes. They are yet to produce one on the West Coast tribes.

The other source is the large amount of material in the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

stringnstik

#16 Post by stringnstik » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:45 am

Damit Steve I'm never going to catch up to you if you keep making bows while Im still building my shed :)
top effort again, crys out for some nice pyrographic work on the limbs tho ;)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

longbow steve

#17 Post by longbow steve » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks for the info Dennis, I might order the books you have mentioned and have a go with some short staves i have.
stringnstik wrote:Damit Steve I'm never going to catch up to you if you keep making bows while Im still building my shed :)
top effort again, crys out for some nice pyrographic work on the limbs tho ;)
Thanks Mark, Yeah it would be good to have artwork on the back. There is a fantastic Pyrographer up here that I have often wanted to ask for some art on a lamination to go under clear glass. I look forward to seeing your work when you get a shed :roll: :) . steve

Dennis La Varenne

#18 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Steven,

I have some pictures of a few of my Plains bows at home, but I am at Jeff's on holidays presently. I will post them when I get home.
Dennis La Varénne

looseplucker

#19 Post by looseplucker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Jim Hamm's book is a cracker. I also have one by Douglas Spotted Eagle - can't remember the title at the moment but I will bring them up to the Expo and show you.

Btw - what is the width from flares to tips, if I may be so bold.

Also, like the handgrip - that fibre looks familiar :lol:
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

longbow steve

#20 Post by longbow steve » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 pm

looseplucker wrote:Jim Hamm's book is a cracker. I also have one by Douglas Spotted Eagle - can't remember the title at the moment but I will bring them up to the Expo and show you.

Btw - what is the width from flares to tips, if I may be so bold.

Also, like the handgrip - that fibre looks familiar :lol:
Hi John, 50mm at the flares and 20mm at the nocks.
Thanks, I would love a flick through the books you have.
The handle wrap is Hemp fibre rather than fancy imported linen :D . I didn't note what the wrap was made of incase the new owner tried to smoke it, it is impregnated with Minwax oil and would make him sick :) .

hazard

#21 Post by hazard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:41 pm

It looks great I reckon a largr scale one would perform quite well too!
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Primitive Boy

#22 Post by Primitive Boy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:01 pm

This is bit of a Necro-post (a post that could be considered spamming due to the current topics age), but that bow looks awesome :D

it looks similiar to an Assyrian/Scythian cavalary bow, only a bit longer.

longbow steve

#23 Post by longbow steve » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks Primitive Boy, the thread isn't that old :) . It is a good simple bow to make when you have a bit of laminating ability under your belt.

Primitive Boy

#24 Post by Primitive Boy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Haha, either way, its a lovely bow :D

I'm John btw, I couldn't think of a better username thingy, John was taken :D

longbow steve

#25 Post by longbow steve » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Nice to meet you John. Good to see a young man interested in selfbows, you're a rarity :D

Primitive Boy

#26 Post by Primitive Boy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Haha, thanks mate, i'm very young :D But I just think self-bows are the best :D