strange arrow flight - what is wrong? form vid added

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

g_r

strange arrow flight - what is wrong? form vid added

#1 Post by g_r » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi,

again, i need youre advice on arrow tuning.

My arrows hit where i want them too, but i have a little strange arrow flight.

Bareshafts fly with the nock a little high and the nock pointing to the left. They hit where they should but this flight looks strange.

Fletched ones fly good, but sometimes when my release wasnt that good or when the feathers are very wet they fly a little like the bareshafts.

What does this mean? How could i improve this?

Im guessing the arows are a little weak and i will try building out the side plate, but any explanation or suggestion is very welcome!

Thanks alot
Regards Axel
Last edited by g_r on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

GrahameA

Re: strange arrow flight - what is wrong?

#2 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:48 am

Morning Axel

My opinion, it can be hard to diagnose problems without seeing them.

The nock high issue is probably a result of the nocking point being overly higher - try lowering it a little.

The Arrow "crabbing" in flight is probably a spine issue - everything is not lined up when the string disengages. It is hidden when the arrows are fletched as the drag of the fletches straightens everything up. When the fletches get wet the drag drops and you see it.

If it was me, I would trying vary the brace height a little and see if that would alleviate it a bit. If you are only shooting at short ranges try fletching the arrows with a 5" helical fletch. Helical fletchs will give you more drag through the launch phase, until the shaft spins up to speed. If however the arrows are a fair way out then live with it or get some new arrows.

Here is some video of the reverse problem. These arrows are spined at around 60lb and I was test shooting at around 50lb. You can clearly see them crabbing in flight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79bB6NWKDfo

The first arrow in this clip appears to have similar issues - it doesn', it was just a poor release by the archer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xmQAQlhSPU

If you are interested have a look at a few of the videos of arrows in flight. The more you study them the more they help to understand what is going on. Note how stable the Flu-flus are in flight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k-BNOH_K7c and check out the Big Banana fletch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYnegxFBM-I

There is a few video of arrows in flight here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79bB6NWKDfo

And add this to your collection of documentation http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hue

#3 Post by hue » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:48 pm

hiya Axel

without seeing any vids' or looking at what your bareshftafts are doing, i'm going to hazard a guess here mate!
what is your form like?
are you consistant?
is your anchor consistant?
is your release clean?
i know that equipment can be modified etc, but you can tune a bow to bad form and bad form only gets worse!
have you videoed your form, watched yourself shoot 30 arrows and seen if you are consistant. i hear it all the time, my arrows are too weak/stiff, brace height too long/short etc, etc! what's your form like mate?
have a look at that too, that's probably the fault that most archers have but will not acknowledge.

Hue
I can only be who I am

g_r

#4 Post by g_r » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:30 am

Ive build out the side plate 1/8" and reducced point weight 25 grains and now the bareshafts fly much better.

My form...well not too bad but not perfect either.
Lately i had some issues with moving the bow to soon after the release but i got that covered 99%. My release is to static (working on a better pull-through ) but otherwise ok.

A friend of mine and our trainer watches me shoot nearly weekly and comments, helps alot.

Ill try to get vid of my form and show you.arrow flight is hard to film right now.

g_r

Re: strange arrow flight - what is wrong? form vid added

#5 Post by g_r » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:59 am

So, heres a vid of my form.

I am shocked! :shock: I really thought i got the bow-dropping problem solved.....seems worse than i would have imagined! :oops:

something else i gotta work on?

the vid is poor quality as i only got a small camera here and i reduced speed for detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fivXFJ-Xy_w

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:44 am

Mate, I can't give you any form tips, but when you come to Aus make sure you bring your girlfriend in the picture on your wall with you, ok? :wink:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

ivorycollector

#7 Post by ivorycollector » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 am

Looks pretty good to me. You must be good shooting indoor with only a tiny backstop!!

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Axel, yep dropping your bow arm, forced release due to collapsing your draw. Keep your elbow of your drawing arm moving backwards.
For the dropping bow arm, make sure your shoulders are down and forward . Steve

Nephew

#9 Post by Nephew » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:56 am

As it turns out, I may be able to offer something here, I just had to drag my attention away from your wall! :wink:
Matey, I find that if my left shoulder (bow arm) and hip are pointing towards the target I get straighter flight from my arrows, but when I open my stance and let them face diagonally away from the target, they tend to go off centre. It took me a while to make it feel natural, but once I got it things worked really well. Just make sure you have a good arm guard! :wink: :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

UPTHETOP

#10 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

G r looks great to me constant anchor same draw. I have one of the worst forms you would ever see, most archery coaches cringe every time they see me draw a bow, but hey I'm a bow hunter not an archer I tell them.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.