material costs

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

murphyslaw

material costs

#1 Post by murphyslaw » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:33 am

Hi guys

Having now read a number of the posts on here about building laminated bows i was wondering
how much do materials cost to complete a bow.
The more i read bout laminated bows the more i want to make some.
All the ones i have see have been both beautiful and very capable so i woult like to know how much $$$
goes into them, i dont want the cost of forms & glue and the other bits and pieces required to make them included
i just want the basic materials.
Justin

If it can go wrong it will go wrong

Eagles may soar but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: material costs

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Justin,

John Clark at Ausbow Industries can supply the following.

http://ausbow.com.au/longbows.html

WOOMERA Longbow Kit
Comprises 4 pairs Tasmanian Myrtle or Rock Maple core laminations, 2 strips BO-TUFF fibreglass, sawn and ground handle blank in your choice of Tasmanian Myrtle, Blackwood, Queensland Walnut, American Walnut, Rock Maple, Bubinga or Zebrano, etc. with ground matching nock tip overlays, 750ml TECHNIGLUE epoxy and full instruction book. Weights to 80lb.
Specify length and draw weight @ 28 inches and shipping instructions.
PRICE: $AUD 210 plus freight

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 pm

If you were to get one of the kits mentioned above I would insist that the riser be cut to the same width as the lams and glass as the ones I have seen do not come like that; they are cut far to thin and will only cause you unnecessary problems.

You can also save on costs by using glass other than what is supplied in the kit above. You can get a good glass from John McDonald at ASMO128 (http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4927) and it is about a third of the cost of the Bo-Tuff that comes in the kit.

IMO you may be better off to buy a cheap longbow and at least learn how to shoot a bow before attempting to build your very first bow. If you want to build a bow a better option would probably be to go and learn off someone first rather than going it alone as this will most likely save you a lot of money in the long run.

Jeff

murphyslaw

#4 Post by murphyslaw » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi Jeff i agree with you bout learning to shoot first.
I plan on joining the local archery club once we move which will be early next month.
I was really just asking about costs so i knew what i was in for once i started
Thanks for the info anyway
Justin

If it can go wrong it will go wrong

Eagles may soar but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines

Steven J

#5 Post by Steven J » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Jeff, I built my bow so I could join the archery club. I purchased a kit from John and was aiming for 40lb but ended up at 70lb. :roll:

Justin, go for it! Just budget for more than one bow.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:51 pm

Steven J wrote:Jeff, I built my bow so I could join the archery club.
Yeah I remember you saying that before but I still think it best to at least learn to shoot first before making a bow. :D
Steven J wrote:I purchased a kit from John and was aiming for 40lb but ended up at 70lb.

Justin, go for it! Just budget for more than one bow.
I agree as you usually don't stop at one for one reason or another. :lol:

Jeff

Hamish

#7 Post by Hamish » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Justin, Be careful this stuff is addictive! It starts off with one, just a couple of hundred dollars, much cheaper than paying for a bow from an established bowyer, you can save hundreds... Before you realise it you have spent big $ on extra tools and machinery to make the job go a little quicker, new forms, heat boxes, to make the next bow just a fraction better in performance, or a bit prettier, etc.

I'd highly recommend it, the satisfaction is immense, but just don't do it thinking you are going save money.

Hamish.

ivorycollector

#8 Post by ivorycollector » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:29 am

Yep I believe all (except commercial bowyers) bow builders/makers/yers or whatever you call them build bows out of passion and the enormous amount of joy and equally frustrations :( :( :x :x when pursuing this craft. BUT never to save $$$. Some people including me would have spent thousands in equipment, materials etc to build bows. Others are quite happy and contended in building selfbow with minimal equipment. If one just want one or two or even three top rate bow buying is far more economical than trying to build to save cost. Dam...I should have listened to my own advise :oops: