Spare glue n rag

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

Spare glue n rag

#1 Post by stringnstik » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:01 am

The inevitable home chore of gluing things up pounced on me yesterday. A number of things were sitting in the "fix it dad" bin so it was high time I did my duty.
Up shot was, as always I had some left over glue. Also as always id decided to use the time wisely and shoot two birds with one stitch.
I used the Technie CA glue that Id purchased for bow building, in an effort to get some feel for how it is to use. I also wanted to get an idea, to how well it colours, for when I use it on my knife filework.

So armed with left over glue;
I mixed in a SMALL amount of black acrylic ink. Mixed in very well it had very good pigment/opacity.
I had a small square of white tshirt material and two blocks of wood.
Cover the wood in glad wrap(cling film).
paste on a layer of glue to one side
place the tshirt on top
paste on more glue gently working it into the fibers until it was all black.. I did run out of glue but enough had been covered for proof of concept.
Second block ontop sandwiching the material.
compress with clamps and leave in the sun.

Afternoon came around and it was time to see the goods.
The cling film did its job as a release agent perfectly. No klingons between the material and film at all. The material came out perfect a thin fairly flexible black plastic.

I think Ill call it Phenolic?

Hopefully you can see in the pic, the raised area. This was a hole drilled in the upper wood and a slot. When squished the glue moved into these areas forming a perfect solid raised and indented regions as expected.

If you wanted a solid black highlight stripe Id use black material or more glue to really soak into the linen. Im going to try a few layers next. A thicker layup.

Nothing new or special about this process, just thought it was interesting. Me and the lad, a shed, some tools, goop and a bit of fun.
Attachments
Top view
Top view
top.JPG (51.88 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Side view
Side view
side.JPG (49.31 KiB) Viewed 559 times
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"