Do you see a bow here?

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

KellyG

Do you see a bow here?

#1 Post by KellyG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:17 am

Posted this on another site, but want as much help as I can get. Do any of you see a bow hiding in any of these? I don't yet. Is 64" to short for a 28" draw for a long bow. If not I may know where a bow is hiding. the following PIC are of the splitting and split staves. It is very dry and checked on the end. There are a few just under the bark.
Unsplit log and tools

Starting to come apart, it took a little bit the axe keep trying to pop out but once I figured out the start point she came apart.

Image as you can see she made three splits why because that is what the wood wanted to do. Now I just got to figure out what part wants to be a bow. the left on is the one I am looking at. It I have a bout a 64" length that .
Here is a pic of the end exposed to the element to long and the other that I just cut.
here is the one I am think about and he last 18" or so that give me pause. In put would be really good. Should I just burn it now and enjoy the smell of burning cedar. Should I try to chase a ring by using the checks on the end and see what is underneath. :dunno: The other two have big knot and a like more checking under the bark. Thanks for the help.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Do you see a bow here?

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm

I don't know the wood but could you just use the outside of the wood (straight under the bark) as the back of the bow as a growth ring would be pretty hard to follow going by the photo. If there are a few longitudinal cracks they should not be a big problem; just fill them with super glue.

Jeff

KellyG

#3 Post by KellyG » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:42 am

Jeff,

Thanks I am currently trying to make a mine bow out of the wood to test it out. A member on tradgang said that would be the best option. I am working on making it 34" long with a 2" long handle and 2" wide at the fade out going to a 1/4" tips. Pulling 25lbs at 13.5" this would be a true half size of the bow I want to try and make. I really have not choice to use the wood under the bark the middle is softer and the outer almost rock hard. The checks on the end are pretty bad. I hope that I will have a stick that is shaped like a bow tomorrow. I am trying to go slow that way if the wood does not hold I be fairly sure it is the wood and not me. I that case I will have a really nice smelling fire with the cedar.
No matter if it succeds or fails I will post the results here plus pics of the live and dead tree. You never know it maybe down under. If it work you might find a new local wood. If it fail someone might be able to identify why for me also.
thanks again,

Kelly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:49 am

Ok mate all the best with it and please do keep us up to date with your progress.

Jeff

KellyG

#5 Post by KellyG » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 am

So far the mini test bow is turning out. I have am shoot for a 34" bow that pulls 25lbs at 13.5", limbs 1" wide at fade to 1/4" at the tips. In theory if it works I double it all and build a bow that is well doubled on all accounts. Why an mine first? 1 someone suggested it to me. 2 I was going to just build a bigger bow and a large 4'x2" splinter pops off. I take that as an omen.
Here are some PICs of it thru the process.

Here is just a PIC of one limb with all my mistakes while drawing it on. RED lines are the ones I used.

Here is the first limb I got close just to my lines.

Here is the handle near where I want it.

Here is Pic of one limb cut down and the other still needing to be done.

Next is of me working on a limb to day

and yes that is a multipurpose tool I used. That and since it would be for a baby archer, I guess when it is a mine bow it will be named Gerber.

Next is one of the bow near profile.

Ok not quite done but getting there, but she is a bending. Here are the PICs
First is relaxed
about bout 9" measured form the bell to the string.
10” about 23lbs or so right looks stiffer to me and it has some tweist
nest are just he limbs at 10"

nest to show the limb twist on the right limb. It is there relaxed also but not as bad
relaxed
Drawn
If I have missed something let me know. I think I have noticed all the issues noted but I am just guessing. This could come in handy down there I have seen a lot of post asking on here asking about bow woods here is a way to test them.
Thanks,
Kelly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:37 pm

You have been busy Kelly. To me it looks like the one limb is bent (been built) way to the right so I imagine the string would run to one side of the handle? It looks like you have a centre line marked but have gone well to one side of it; was there a reason for this?

In the photos of the bow on the tiller it appears that you have reversed the bow in the two photos. The right limb in the first photo and the left limb in the second photo appears to bend too much right at handle and it nearly looks like a hinge there. The other limb is much stiffer in this area. I think the limb will need some careful work to get that hinge out and the other will need to be weakened to get it to bend more evenly.

That propeller twist in the limb won't hurt the bow.

Thanks for sharing this with us mate - very interesting. I'm glad it's you using that multi tool rather than me. :D

Jeff

KellyG

#7 Post by KellyG » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:13 am

Jeff,
I drew and redrew on that darn thing. I have only tried making a bow once before and that was about 3yrs ago. I had forgotten how to keep the center until I ask on the other forum I go to. Once I was straight on that I had to go back and us a red pen because I had done it in the black marker. It is not as far off as it appears in the pics. The twist I think throws it off.
I have it on a shorter string now and will start really looking at the tillering. I will have to make a better gizmo to make the stiff spot. I don't know if you know what the tillering gizmo is but it works great. Not hard to make, heck yall might call it a whatchamacallit or something. I will get some more of the story up.
Good eye on the flipping it around. I try to keep that hump in the right limb on that side. I just get in a rush some times and flip them. The multi tool is not to bad on this small project I don't think I will try to do a full bow with it but who knows.
Thanks for the advise,
Kelly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:03 am

Good mate and keep at it. I can't think of the name of that tiller device at the moment (old age) but I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about.

Lumps and bumps and twists; I like a bow with some character to it. :D

Jeff

KellyG

#9 Post by KellyG » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:23 am

Ok I made a real gizmo found a nut for it. then strung it the bow up and put it on my tree; exercised the limbs a few times by pulling back a little and riding forward. I did this a few time and went to pull it all the way to 9" and took my eye off of it and .......................................................................
I pulled a little too hard. It is ok cause now I get to try again. I think I will see what the stave offers. If it gives me a 6'x3" piece I will try for a 40lb bow if not then we will see just what the wood wants to be. Since I can't hunt deer I am hunting for the bow, round one bow.
To me this is like the feeling you get when the deer is out front you and you have your bow drawn and you are waiting for just the right moment and next thing you know the white tail is all you see. I am just happy to have been in the stand to begin with. I will be back in the preverbal woods again and soon.
Thanks all for input and advice,
Kelly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:04 am

Oh well mate I hope the next one goes better. :D It's amazing how quickly a bow goes from bending nicely to multiple bits of fire wood isn't it? :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:59 am

Bugger.

KellyG

#12 Post by KellyG » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks gents,
I have already got another piece ready to start. I will get some PIC up and let you see what I got.
Good Luck and happy hunting
Kelly