Desert ash

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

timbo

Desert ash

#1 Post by timbo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Is the Australia desert ash any good for making archery related items?

Cheers Tim
Get Up, Get Out, and Get into em!

longbowinfected

Re: Desert ash

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:08 pm

No such timber hardwood listed in Bootle by that name. Probably closely related to Eoropean Ash and deciduous. Genus Fraxinus. Used for sporting goods nice figure glues wel but needs to be weighted when seasoning as will warp MID weight mass 700 kg/cubic metre Air Dried Density resists sudden impact good for steam bending tough and flexible for sporting handles
not native. In some places a weed.

Now if you are talking about the Australian species they are not deciduous and probably belong to the Genuses Eucalyptus and Flindersia which are used in joinery and are more dense and very susceptible to borers, termites and do not glue that well with a few exceptions.

Best I can do from timber technology angle but remember I am not a horticulturist nor arborist.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

muntries

#3 Post by muntries » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:59 pm

bloody feral weed!! Not sure about the timber but the tree when I see them always seem to be falling apart.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Tim,

The following link may be a starting point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus_angustifolia

If you have a supply of this material make archery related items from it and see what happens.

Muntries, Just read your reply

http://search.weeds.org.au/query.html?c ... desert+ash

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:20 am

Ask in this place and you will but receive.
Wrap debarked timber in clingwrap with a few holes in butt end.
Store in cool stable but not wet area.
Weigh the staves down with heavy weights.
Make some small scale little person bows first perhaps.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

timbo

#6 Post by timbo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I have access to a very old tree of the fraxinus variety that will be removed as part of a redevelopment so was giving some thought to saving some of the timber. But am not so sure now.

Cheers Tim
Get Up, Get Out, and Get into em!

Dennis La Varenne

#7 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:38 am

Tim,
Is the Australia desert ash any good for making archery related items?
I tried looking up some mechanical specs to get some kind of idea of what kind of density and MoR it has but can't find any because it isn't a commercial timber. However, I agree with Daryl -
If you have a supply of this material make archery related items from it and see what happens.
Dry it by the usual methods and just make a bow and see what happens. Perhaps leave a bit of thickness compared it to what you would usually make a bow to see what happens. If it is going to fret, it will do so sooner with a heavy bow long before it will in a light bow because of the the back and belly surfaces are further away from the neutral axis. If you catch it early, when chrysals develop, you can always sink it to a lighter bow which won't fret.

Also it is native to the Western Mediterranean and Portugal and goes by the botanical handle of Fraxinus augustifolia augustifolia and grows to around 10m in height on average. It is often used as a garden and nature strip tree which is where it probably escaped from and became naturalised as 'Australian' Desert Ash. See -
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedide ... l&card=E15
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:54 am

really important that you weigh it down as I posted before hand.

Kev