Availability of leather for handles in Canberra

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Brumbies Country

Availability of leather for handles in Canberra

#1 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:10 pm

This is a quick call to the bow makers of Canberra. I'm getting towards completing an Elb and am wondering where you guys who put leather on your handles get it from. I've used cord or left the handles bare until now but must admit to wanting to try something different. I also need a bit for the makeover of an Asiatic type bamboo bow I aquired last weekend.

longbowinfected

Re: Availability of leather for handles in Canberra

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Simon, I think split hide or suede would do the trick. Tell me how much suede you want and I will send you a couple of pieces. Just give me the dimensions for the two pieces you need.
I go to leather working shops like bootmakers and buy their bagged offcuts,
I get a 25L bag of bits n pieces for $10. I also go to op shops and buy cheap leather coats and bags but they are no longer cheap in my areaor 50 kms around.....others doing the same thing.
Failing that you can buy everything new from Birdsall's at Botany. They do mail order on leather, tools, fixings you name it.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

waynerob

#3 Post by waynerob » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:10 pm

NSW Leather have a similar range to Birdsall's and are heaps cheaper. They also sell second quality hides if you don't mind a brand or scar. http://www.nswleather.com.au/belt_leather.html
You'll still need Birdsall for dyes and tools.

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:51 pm

I agree with Waynerob. I gave you Birdsall's name because it is a one stop shop.
I drive there once a quarter and pick up the occasional tool. Love the smell of the place.

Waynerob, I take it that you are one of the others who troll the op shops too?
Occasionally you get some bargains.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi Simon, like Kevin I have some for you if you like. Various colours. Steve

Brumbies Country

#6 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:18 am

Thank you guys. As always, I'm tremendously impressed by the genorosity of people on Ozbow and I've had three offers of material. There is a time factor consideration. The mention of suede triggered my memory and I'm sure I can source some locally. There's rain forecast down here for the weekend and it sounds like a good way to pass the time, putting handles on bows. There's lawns to be mowed, but if it's raining, well....... :lol: .

It's probably a good time to ask what you use, if anything for padding? I saw a mention of innersole material in one of the TBBs.

Simon

longbow steve

#7 Post by longbow steve » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:44 am

Padding. Cork/Caulk? or even built up leather glued and shaped works.
Inner soles would work but yuck :) .

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:06 am

I glued leather strips at right angles to the bow that control where my hand goes.
I shape the strips to the contour of how my hand fits the grip but as close under the arrow shelf as I can. None of my handles are padded.
One of my bows has a wind on tennis racquet grip, works well. I just overlapped the edge and I taped the ends with same coloured duct tape. It feels pretty good.

Kev

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:10 am

I do not really grip my bow as I use a bowsling. Padding not required. With the heavier points I use on heavy boo arrows and the sling I get no shock or vibration whatsoever...not a hint at all.

Kev

Brumbies Country

#10 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:20 am

Thanks Steve and Kev. That gives me some good ideas. I know you use a sling Kev and that really does obviate the need for any padding. The TBBs talk about minimising handshock, but I can't say that has ben a problem for me, possibly because I shoot relatively lightweight bows.

Simon

jindydiver

#11 Post by jindydiver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 am

I have sourced thin leather and suede by going to Mancare and St Vinnies and buying old leather handbags. Cost a couple of dollars each and pull them apart.
The saddle shop in Crawford st Qnb has leather for sale too.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Brumbies Country

#12 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks Mick

The ability of Ozbow members to source materials from a variety of places never ceases to amaze me. Thanks also for reminding me about Hiscocks. I used to buy a lot of my horse gear from them but had forgotten that thel also make harness etc to order from leather.

Simon