Well it's time, I'm getting some wood

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

Well it's time, I'm getting some wood

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Well after the cape, I said I would get some wood sorted for the Mighty Gringa, because apparently I am cheating when I use carbon :wink:

So onto the Trad Bits web site last night & a quick phone call with SCRUB BULL today & 3 dozen Sitka spruce shafts, some different nocks so I can see which ones I like, some 145 grain steel field tips & some 145 grain rib teks (this will be an experiment, every thing I have shot so far has been 125 grain), umm some grain scales, a taper tool, a dip tube thinga majiggy. Ahh I can't remember what else, but I do remember thinking it was going to be cheaper to have Blu-Dog make me 3 dozen arrow than to make some myself :wink: It's for the satisfaction they tell me :wink:

Anyway, it will all be here when it gets here & then I guess it is time to do some reading on how to make them, or maybe just get Blu-Dog over, get him to show me how 8) then let him have the bottle of rum ..... :wink: It doesn't work if he gets the bottle of rum 1st :lol: :mrgreen:

I ain't going for anything fancy, I like simple & practical (K.I.S.S.) Besides, I will cry if I spend to much time making them & then go loosing them or breaking them :lol: SO if they are just plain Jane, then I will be ok with a loss or 3 :lol:
I think I am going to try a red stain on the shafts, not sure why, just something I want to try :wink:

Anyway, I will let you all know how it turns out.But hopefully in a few weeks the Gringa Red Belly Black Stick will be flinging some wood rather than high tech carbon down the range 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

blu-dog

Re: Well it's time, I'm getting some wood

#2 Post by blu-dog » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:13 pm

Woo Hoo RUM!!! :lol:

...c'mon mate - it's more fun when I have the rum first!!!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Nutgrass

#3 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:19 pm

blu-dog wrote:Woo Hoo RUM!!! :lol:

...c'mon mate - it's more fun when I have the rum first!!!
Yep it's heaps of fun trying to get things that are supper glued to table clothes off :wink: That was a funny night, watching the goody two-shoes teacher bloke get belted on a bottle of rum with me, whilst he tried to glue some inserts into some of those high tech carbon things you blokes don't like trying to help me :lol:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Wood arras; now ya talkin'!!! :lol: All the best with making and shooting real arras. :wink: :D

Jeff

UPTHETOP

#5 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Gidg sounds like the Trad journey is on its way, best of luck with the shafts mate.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Nutgrass

#6 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Well all the bits turned up today, so I guess I will be having a crack at some stage over the weekend :wink:
I may have just quickly stained a couple to see what the difference in the 2 colours I chose are.
Both are Wattyl interior stains, Trad Cedar & English Mahogany. But I think I am leaning towards the cedar stain 8)
Although a set of woods done in the mahogany may be on the cards come state of origin time, it comes up close to maroon I reckon :lol:

I Will get a clear coat tomorrow & see what the weekend brings. Will get a couple of pics up tomorrow :lol:

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:53 am

Good one Gidget,they sound good. :D

Nutgrass

#8 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:13 pm

Well you lot, I been busy this arvo. I got 1 dozen arrows cut, tapered, stained & 4 coats of lacquer (just done the last coat).
They aren't up to the high quality that others are producing around the place, but they are wood & hopefully with all this hard work they will fly somewhere near ok when I am done with them.
The 1st dozen I stained half with Traditional Cedar & the other 6 with English Mahogany, at 1st I liked the cedar stain, but once I got a few coats of clear on them the mahogany have really come out.
So that is what I stained the 2nd dozen with.

Anyway, the boss took a couple of pics while I was mucking about.
This is what I had to get started

The 2 test shafts I did last night to see which stain I liked.

Just a few random pics as I went about trying to make them look pretty.

So hopefully tomorrow I will have some wood to fling from the Red Belly Black Stick & all you carbon haters can relax a little. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but if a hunt comes along in a hurry & I got to find time to make arrows, I can see it becoming tedious. But time will tell.
I Will get some close up pics tomorrow once I get some tips & knocks on them.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Lookin' good so far. :D

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Bring them with you tomorrow,and we'll see how they fly :wink:

blu-dog

#11 Post by blu-dog » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Arrows were made - but I didn't get to drink any rum... something doesn't seem right witht he universe!!! :shock:
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Nutgrass

#12 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:12 am

blu-dog wrote:Arrows were made - but I didn't get to drink any rum... something doesn't seem right witht he universe!!! :shock:
I did 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted: .............. with the way my head feels.... maybe a couple to many :oops: :wink:

Nutgrass

#13 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm

Well I rushed to finish my 1st dozen this morning. But I got them done (although still a bit tacky as we drove off) SO I picked up Bg's & Rod before heading out to Keith's to shoot a few down his 3d range.
I am happy to report, they fly well & I am happy with my 1st dozen wood arrows. They are far from Blu-Dog's standard & I made plenty of boo-boo's on them, but they flew well & I am now flinging wood from the Gringa Red Belly Black Stick 8)

Hilly

#14 Post by Hilly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:24 pm

they look good & good to see they fly good as well
Hilly

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Glad to hear the real arras shot well from your bow. :P :lol:

A suggestion; I would use 5" flights when using only three fletch, especially for hunting (it looks like you used four inch in the photos).

Jeff

Nutgrass

#16 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Yer mate, I used 4" feathers, I did 7 arrows with 3 feathers, then I did 5 arrows with with 4 feathers 8) I like the 4 feathers for some reason. Not sure if it was just me, but the arrows I shot today with 4 feathers were my favourite, so I think I am going to do my next dozen (for hunting) with a 4 feather set up.

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:19 pm

yep they did fly well,and you shoot them pretty good too........it made me very happy that your using wood :mrgreen:

Nutgrass

#18 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:36 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:.......it made me very happy that your using wood :mrgreen:
Yer mate, me as well. I wanted to shoot wood up north, but time just didn't allow me to sort out the spine issue's before we left.
But now that is all done & dusted, it is just a matter of some fine tuning & getting back out there now :twisted: