Bow Identification Please...

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Guy Layton

Bow Identification Please...

#1 Post by Guy Layton » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Gday guys,

A good friend of mine has picked up this bow. I was hoping that someone would know a little about it.... As I dont..! :D
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1473.JPG (15.4 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1474.JPG (17.68 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG (17.06 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG (21.22 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Cheers Guy..
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: Bow Identification Please...

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:41 pm

I don't know, but the boys on the History and Collecting forum over at TradGang would be able to tell, if it originated in the USA. A decal says "Sydney", but I wonder if that was put on after the import. The only Mustang I know of were Ben Pearson's.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

niss

#3 Post by niss » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:54 pm

i have one exactly the same but i dont no any history of the bow except it shoots really good. :D

Jeffro

#4 Post by Jeffro » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Trevor reckons he had one and its korean or something.I think its american myself
I have a ben pearson mustang but i think your ones a different make

The archery centre eh
I bought my first bow from there in about 1978
Ken Deck was the bloke who owned the shop.dont know what happened to him.

dartonian

#5 Post by dartonian » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Guy,
Yep, I had one of these as my first bow and can confirm they are a Korean bow imported and branded by the now defunct Achery Centre which was in a basement in Clarence St, Sydney. And yes the shop was owned by a guy called Ken Deck.

It was great as I worked in Clarence St myself and they had an indoor range you could shoot at. I would have bought mine about 1982 and was absolutely shattered when it delaminated in 2008.

Cheers,
Paul

Guy Layton

#6 Post by Guy Layton » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks for your help people, I knew that somebody on Ozbow would know it origins...

niss,

I had a few shots of the bow yesterday and I was very impressed with its feel and performance too...!

Paul,

Thanks mate for the information mate.... would you also know the approximate age of the bow and maybe the materials that have been used..? sorry to hear about the delamination, it seems to be a very nice bow...!

Cheers Guy... :D
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

AndyD

#7 Post by AndyD » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:02 am

Wow the archery Centre there's a blast from the past.

I still have a back quiver bought from there for my 16th birthday by my Mum & Dad.
I use to trundle in there on the train from Cronulla for a shoot on the 18 metre indoor range.
Anyone remember Tony who used to work there for Ken? He was a good bloke and took a lot of time out to help me and my mates with gear tuning and technique.
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread and taking it for a wander down memory lane
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Jeffro

#8 Post by Jeffro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:00 am

was he a younger bloke than ken with curly brown hair.

dartonian

#9 Post by dartonian » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:18 pm

Sorry Guy, but i've pretty much told you all I know. Your mates bow is identical to mine so would probably be from the early 80's. No idea about woods used, but they were very much a budget offering. From memory, I bought it new for about $150.00 in 1982, then splurged and bought some hi-tech "graphlex" arrows for it, and now cant remember if that price included the arrows.

I remember at the time lusting after a Border "Black Douglas" that was hanging on the rack next to it... but it was about $500 which seemed ludicrous!

I have to admit, I was always really happy with the bow and think that the quality exceeds what is seen in current budget bows.

Cheers,
Paul

AndyD

#10 Post by AndyD » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Jeffro wrote:was he a younger bloke than ken with curly brown hair.
Yep shorter, younger bloke, pretty well built with a lot of tat's. Had acne scars rode a harley and lived out at Blacktown from memory. There was another younger bloke there too - tall skinny fella - Simon or Stuart.
I'm guessing Tony would be about 50 now.
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.