3 piece take down all wood bow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

3 piece take down all wood bow

#1 Post by clinton miller » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:10 pm

i'm going to have a go at making a 3 piece takedown using all wood limbs, as in self bow limbs from billets.

your thoughts on riser design and geometry?

i've roughed one out and the limb pads are at 180 degrees (flat on the far side of the riser) the distance from the grip to the face of the limb pads is 1 3/4". i'm wondering if this is going to be any good since to get a usable brace height the limbs will be 1 3/4" overbraced?

the bolt centres are 6 1/2" about the grip. any thoughts on limb design?
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 3 piece take down all wood bow

#2 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi Clinton,

I do not know how far you are into the project but a sleeve type two piece takedown may be more beneficial.

With this design I believe you can get more working limb for a given overall bow length and not have a bulky handle section.

Just my thoughts.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....